PDA

View Full Version : turning tool steel

thumb trimmer
27th July 2010, 11:32 PM
Just a quickie ...

Where do most of you my fellow turned formites get your tools from?
Can I safely assume that most of you make your own handles? ... and if so, where do you get the rest of the steel from?

I recently purchased a hollowing tool (steel only) from McJing; which works a treat after fitting it into a spotted gum handle I made ... but after the success of this tool, I was beginning to think it was about time to upgrade from my cheap chinese carbon steel set to a select few HSS tools ... all with spotted gum handles, given I've got a few more sticks left.

So ... back to the question at hand ... where to buy the 'steel' from?
(Keeping in mind the usual budgetary requirements imposed by SWMBO)

Regards
TT

rsser
28th July 2010, 01:28 PM
TT, McJing in my experience have supplied variable quality HSS so I either go to my local industrial supplies place for blanks or these guys (http://gpwoodturning.sitesuitestores.com/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_by_category?category_id=1107142060).

They also sell made-up tools: click (http://gpwoodturning.sitesuitestores.com/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_by_category?category_id=1107146794)

TTIT
28th July 2010, 02:44 PM
AFAIK, all the makers produce turning chisels handled or unhandled so the same goes for the vendors which means you can get unhandled chisels from pretty well anywhere that sells chisels - just up to yourself which brand you want to go with :shrug:
Hamlet - Carbatec, Gary Pye Woodturning, Southeast Qld Woodturning Supplies etc
P&N - Carrolls, Lazarides
Sorby - Carrolls, TheWoodsmith
Henry Taylor - WoodturningSupplies, Lazarides, TheWoodsmith
no-name/budget - McJing, Northwood Tools

thumb trimmer
29th July 2010, 09:52 PM
hmmmm ... so the next question, and obvious (and done to death) question, is which tools to buy.

Before anyone starts I should add, that given the type of turnin I like to do (ie. just about anything that I can try) my thoughts were to a decent bowl gouge, and a reasonable sized skew ....

... your thoughts?

TT

SawDustSniffer
30th July 2010, 01:52 AM
some gouges don't handle abuse , lol , yes knocking the block round on a large blank with a 25mm gouge is abuse ( and not good for the arthritis in the knuckles), i have to take photos of what im talking about , ( leaves this post to take photo's)

the top chisel is a P&N 25mm gouge
the bottom is a Henry Taylor 25mm gouge
both are HSS tools

im NOT saying "dont bye Henry tayler tools" , what im saying is look for a nice thick strong join to the handle that can handle knocking a 500mm square block round , yer yer should have had the tool rest closer , but i personaly think the the P$N is a way better tool ( have only tested these two 25mm gouges , so take it as hearsay )

also i think a difernet coloured handle on every tool is important , i know what chisel im pulling out of the rack by the colour of the handle , identical handles suck :o i have four identical handles on 1/2 inch scrapers , i should not have bought 4 from the same brand ( Henry Tayler's )at the same time and same chisel ,ended up scratching different patterns in the gloss :o , if you bye tools with handles bye one from each brand and keep the market full of different brands

RETIRED
30th July 2010, 08:11 AM
SDS, the bottom tool (Henry Taylor) is technically not a roughing gouge but a spindle gouge.

If you had gone up to the 32mm the tang is a lot stronger.

The tang on most most of the roughing gouges that were forged (rather than machined from bar stock) has always been a weak point and we frequently break them.

To fix that we weld in a steel handle on all our heavy roughing gouges.

I have most of my handles the same as I like a particular shape.

Sturdee
30th July 2010, 10:15 AM
If you had gone up to the 32mm the tang is a lot stronger.

I went for the 32mm Sorby and it is a real pleasure to use, but fellow turners at my turning group give me a wide berth when I get it out. :D

Peter.

thumb trimmer
30th July 2010, 12:35 PM
"Quote: I went for the 32mm Sorby and it is a real pleasure to use, but fellow turners at my turning group give me a wide berth when I get it out. http://cdn.woodworkforums.com/images/smilies/standard/biggrin.gif"

Sturdee ... is that because of what you turn with the 32mm or how you turn ??? :U

hughie
30th July 2010, 01:21 PM
is that because of what you turn with the 32mm or how you turn ??

probably both, they see it and know whats coming up next... and run :U

RETIRED
30th July 2010, 01:55 PM

probably both, they see it and know whats coming up next... and run :UNope, they do that when I bring out "the shovel", a 50mm wide mongrel.:D

Sturdee
30th July 2010, 05:07 PM

probably both, they see it and know whats coming up next... and run :U

:2tsup:

Peter.

rsser
30th July 2010, 06:51 PM
Tool steel covers a multitude of products.

There's the composition of the alloy, and there's the way its treated: heat, and cryogenic to be exotic. HSS comes in various forms, eg, click (http://www.crucible.com/eselector/grades&names/grades&namestitle.html) with varying properties.

A high vanadium content, as with Doug Thompson's turning tools, works well with silica rich woods, or bark covered blanks where the bark is full of carp.

rodent
3rd August 2010, 12:58 AM
Yes mines called Bertha and here brother a 1inch bowl gouge is brutus . He's for those realy out of round blanks . And when i use bertha i get the shovel and bucket out for the shavings .:H