PDA

View Full Version : Skew article Australian Woodworker

Tiger
28th July 2010, 02:50 PM
The May/June and August issue of the Australian Woodworker discuss using the skew chisel by John Ewart. As there's been a bit of discussion about using the skew chisel lately, I thought it would be a good idea to mention it here. I have tried some of the suggestions made by John and they have proved helpful. The major one was changing the angle on the skew chisel. I have used a shorter bevel than the 25 degree bevel he suggested, must say that John's suggestion helped with v-cuts and getting into tight spots.

One disappointing thing though is that on the May/June front cover, it states that dealing with cranky grain using a skew chisel is covered, well it's not :((.

I find the skew chisel behaves as it should except where the grain is wavy, twisted etc. A different approach is then needed and I'd hoped the magazine would cover that.

munruben
28th July 2010, 04:07 PM
I find that after reading heaps of advice on using the skew and watchng various videos on the subject, the only real way to learn how to use the skew it is to take the bull by the horns and give it a go. Use some of the techniques advised by the experts but you will find you will adapt to using it the best way that suits you personally. I am sure the experts would cringe at some of my techniques but it works for me so guess that's all that matters.

TTIT
28th July 2010, 04:20 PM
Maybe the method they intended to be used on cranky grain was with the skew on it's side as a negative-rake scraper :shrug: - works for me :)

rsser
28th July 2010, 04:57 PM
Munrubin, yep quite right, practice is gold but a teacher is golder ;-}

Tiger, is the master of skews. See if he's willing to give you a lesson. The shortest way to skew mastery is via Tooradin.

jefferson
28th July 2010, 05:52 PM
Tiger, is the master of skews. See if he's willing to give you a lesson. The shortest way to skew mastery is via Tooradin.

Other option is to sell your soul. No credit cards accepted at Tooradin though. :rolleyes:

rsser
28th July 2010, 06:00 PM
LOL. Jeff's right.

He's done the hard yards.

If you don't mind me saying Tiger, having had you out here and having followed, and replied to many of, your posts, you don't take advice willingly. Your choice.

I'm putting you on my black list. No more responses to your posts.

Tiger
28th July 2010, 06:40 PM
LOL. Jeff's right.

He's done the hard yards.

If you don't mind me saying Tiger, having had you out here and having followed, and replied to many of, your posts, you don't take advice willingly. Your choice.

I'm putting you on my black list. No more responses to your posts.

Ha:?.

Not sure what advice I was supposed to follow. I take what other forum members say seriously and try out what they've suggested, including yours. I was simply making a statement about a magazine that I had bought.

Your choice if you wish to respond to people's posts.

Christopha
28th July 2010, 06:51 PM
I don't know what fuss is all about. The skew is easier to use than the gouge and the gouge is as easy to use as brushing your teeth..... with a tooth brush of course!

jefferson
28th July 2010, 07:19 PM
I don't know what fuss is all about. The skew is easier to use than the gouge and the gouge is as easy to use as brushing your teeth..... with a tooth brush of course!

Sorry, Christopha, gotta bite hard on this one. PM your home address to me and I'll send you some fiddleback redgum to play with on your skew piano. :D (I've put this offer up before I might add..... :rolleyes:).

Then post some pics of your non-tear out results for the world to see. :wink:

RETIRED
28th July 2010, 07:25 PM
I don't know what fuss is all about. The skew is easier to use than the gouge and the gouge is as easy to use as brushing your teeth..... with a tooth brush of course!Wouldn't know. :whistling2:

Christopha
28th July 2010, 07:36 PM
, sorry maaate... I shoulda said, brushin' ya gums...

RETIRED
28th July 2010, 07:54 PM
:D:wink:

Sawdust Maker
28th July 2010, 10:23 PM

One disappointing thing though is that on the May/June front cover, it states that dealing with cranky grain using a skew chisel is covered, well it's not :((.

I find the skew chisel behaves as it should except where the grain is wavy, twisted etc. A different approach is then needed and I'd hoped the magazine would cover that.

I can PM you John's email address if you like you can then ask him about the curly grain. He's a nice enough chap :2tsup:
Or you could even ask the mag's editor

PS I'm not entering into any discussions about what people floss with

Tiger
28th July 2010, 11:14 PM
Sorry, Christopha, gotta bite hard on this one. PM your home address to me and I'll send you some fiddleback redgum to play with on your skew piano. :D (I've put this offer up before I might add..... :rolleyes:).

Then post some pics of your non-tear out results for the world to see. :wink:

Jeff, used some fiddleback redgum when I was doing the gavels, best I could get it was with high speed, super-sharp 1/2 inch skew, even then I still had to resort to a gouge in places.

Tiger
28th July 2010, 11:16 PM
I can PM you John's email address if you like you can then ask him about the curly grain. He's a nice enough chap :2tsup:
Or you could even ask the mag's editor

Thanks, Sawdust maker, I might just do that.

mick61
29th July 2010, 12:01 AM
I find a 1/8th bowl gouge CAN help with cranky grain.
Mick:D

Tiger
29th July 2010, 10:40 AM
Yeah Mick, I find I often resort to another tool when working with cranky grain, but as you've got the skew in your hand you'd like to finish the job without having to change tools.

Ozceltic63
29th July 2010, 11:02 AM
g'day.

I did a short course at the local club the other weekend.
Santa taught us how to sharpen and use the Skew.
Having been shown how to use it was enlightening.
When i got home I used the Skew from start to finish
on a pencil i was doing for SWMBO and it worked
a treat. I managed to start sanding at 400 grit. :D

Liam.

Ed Reiss
29th July 2010, 12:18 PM
The May/June and August issue of the Australian Woodworker discuss using the skew chisel by John Ewart. As there's been a bit of discussion about using the skew chisel lately, I thought it would be a good idea to mention it here. I have tried some of the suggestions made by John and they have proved helpful. The major one was changing the angle on the skew chisel. I have used a shorter bevel than the 25 degree bevel he suggested, must say that John's suggestion helped with v-cuts and getting into tight spots.

...yes.

jimbur
31st July 2010, 06:57 PM
I'm a bit hesitant to make a suggestion as I am by no means an experienced turner. However, what seems to work for me with cranky grain is to use my smallest skew, a fairly thin half-inch Marples carbon steel. The size and the need to avoid 'burning' the steel seems to make me take finer cuts than usual.
Cheers,
Jim

Tiger
1st August 2010, 10:35 AM
Been in touch with John who cleared this up. He sounds like a nice bloke and has said that there will be have more articles in the AW over the next few months.

rsser
3rd August 2010, 02:44 PM
Quite right Jim, with tricky wood light cuts with a fresh edge will often do it.

You don't want tool chatter so inside of bowls for example a curved rest may be your friend.

jimbur
4th August 2010, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the tip Ern
Jim

rsser
4th August 2010, 06:03 PM
Ah, yes, thanks :- ... somehow I got transported to the inside of bowls where not many would use a skew, but otherwise I'd stick by my comment.

jimbur
4th August 2010, 07:13 PM
Ah, yes, thanks :- ... somehow I got transported to the inside of bowls where not many would use a skew, but otherwise I'd stick by my comment.
:;

jefferson
4th August 2010, 07:20 PM
Ern,

what about a skew on the outside of a bowl (not in scraping mode!). Either way, not good. :D:D