PDA

View Full Version : Bobbins for a Wool Spinning Wheel.

issatree
29th July 2010, 12:35 PM
Hi to All Turners,
I keep getting asked for these Wooden Bobbins for the Ladies Spinning Wheels.
Apparently it is wise of a Spinner to have Extra Bobbins, 6 / 8 instead of 4.
I never seem able to make these things, never get them right.
There are many & varied Wheels, & all have Different Bobbins.
These days they have a small insert of what looks like a very hard Nylon Composition in either end of most Bobbins, so as they don't wear out as easily.
Mostly the problem is, The Price the Turner wants & the Price the Spinners want to pay.
1 Chap made one & asked $22, & that is quite over the top. You can make them & ask that price & you will end up with them.
The Ladies are as bad as us Turners buying wood or what ever, Everything has a price.
I have Googled several makes of S/ Wheels for their Bobbins, which is pretty good.
So, if you are interested, please PM me, as I have Ladies that would most likely buy from you, as well as Spinner Groups.
Regards,
issatree.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

wheelinround
29th July 2010, 02:47 PM
issatree as you know I do that sort of thing here from time to time.

Earlier this year one of the members from LOML's guild asked for me to make her a series of bobbins. Now this woman has been around spinning for many years teaches it in fact. I declined the offer when asked, as I also would have been charging around the $22++ mark depending on wood required.
She didn't want to pay such an exy price.:roll: She wanted to pay $11...........her excuse oh you guys are all on pensions its a hobby, so can't charge retail. She is also on a teachers pension, works a few days a week along with her stalls at markets.:~

We took the bobbin along to turners group and offered it there giving contact details etc. She wanted quite a few and an ongoing thing which meant she was on selling and @ $22++ she wouldn't make her $$ out of it.

The fellow who took it on made templates, jigs had to buy drill bit to suit would have had to buy others depending on dia of shaft. He is metal machinist also so could make the plastic bit to. Time, wood, machines etc he worked it out @ $50 per.

In a discussion with the lady down the track a bit she said "well all it is, is a broom stick or dowel cut drilled and two bits of MDF or ply stuck on whats hard about that??. She has her hubbies old lathe so I naturally said go right ahead.

Now LOML and some of those from various spinning shows I have been to have thrown badly balanced bobbins across the floor, it is distracting to watch it go round oval or vibrate which pulls the fibre at different tension and breaks.:U

I am not perfect in turning them and doing them with out measuring the shaft length and dia where it runs is asking for trouble.

LOML had 3 machines only two's bobbins where interchangeable both machines nothing alike, the shaft dia were the same how they fitted similar, length a smidge difference and there you have noise clatter, chatter and an unhappy customer :~.

So if you get asked again send them to this thread for a read if they want they can contact me but no way will I be selling them for under $22 upfront + postage

OR contact these people they sell mass produced ones for about $11 good people know them both.:2tsup:

Now have a look at these drop spindle prices yet there is less work in making them and they will part with the $$ for those:no: don't understand that. Petlins Online Store - Drop Spindle - classic - Ashford (Powered by CubeCart) (http://www.petlins.com/shopper/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=32)
Petlins Online Store (Powered by CubeCart) (http://www.petlins.com/shopper/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=21) .