PDA

View Full Version : article on handles

hughie
31st July 2010, 03:27 PM
not a bad site on things to consider if your going to make your handles or choosing a stock item

Woodturning Tool Handles: How to Choose a Comfortable Design (http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com/tool-handles.html)

bowl-basher
31st July 2010, 06:05 PM
Thanks for that Hughie
I am in the process of making a few tools and that is food for thought
Bowl-basher

NeilS
1st August 2010, 02:44 PM
What we need is someone in Australia to make a range of metal handles. Like someone who is saving up for a new shed....:rolleyes:

hughie
1st August 2010, 03:30 PM
:U Hmm food for thought. I will be installing a metal lathe etc in the new shed, with the idea of making handles for myself.

Not sure what would be a the common sizes, length no problem, holding sizes??

To date mine are 450-550mm long and 30-35mm dia foam covered this size suits me, bore 5/8" and 20mm

Be quite happy to knock a few out towards the end of the year.

Pat
1st August 2010, 04:06 PM
Another good article. I go have to disagree on his opinion about the Glaser handle, I find mine to be "just right" for the little 6mm gouge, but if anyone has Glaser with a 12, 16 or 19mm gouge in for "comparison" :;

artme
1st August 2010, 04:56 PM
Just skimmed through this Hughie. Will have a decent read later.

Thanks for the post.:):)

NeilS
1st August 2010, 06:58 PM
:U Hmm food for thought. I will be installing a metal lathe etc in the new shed, with the idea of making handles for myself.

Not sure what would be a the common sizes, length no problem, holding sizes??

To date mine are 450-550mm long and 30-35mm dia foam covered this size suits me, bore 5/8" and 20mm

Be quite happy to knock a few out towards the end of the year.

I'd definitely put in an order for a few, Hughie, but would have to thinks about the sizes.

issatree
1st August 2010, 09:02 PM
Hi Hughie & All,
Those Wooden Handles would not suit me, nor the Metal Ones.
I like to make the Richard Raffan style Handle, that is in the back of his 1st. Book " Turning Wood ".
I took the Book to O/Works & blew it up until I had a 13in. - 330mm. Handle on an A3 Sheet.
Took it home & copied them in different Woods.
Couldn't be happier.
My Ferrules usually come from Aluminum Chairs.
Look good when polished.
Regards,
issatree.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

robo hippy
3rd August 2010, 03:00 AM
After trying just about every design out there, I prefer a straight, with no bumps or humps, wood handle. Soft (walnut) oil finish. They just feel better to me. Never did like the Glaser handles. Just too heavy for all day turning, and don't seem to do any better job of absorbing shock than a wood handle. Kind of like hammers, the wood handled ones feel a lot better than the metal ones to me.

robo hippy