PDA

View Full Version : Woodchuck Bowl Pro

Reece
2nd August 2010, 11:27 AM
Does anyone else own one of these beastly creatures? :D

I got mine a week ago now, and couldn't be more impressed. Easy to use, still factory sharp after many hours of turning over the past week. I did have a poly resin pen explode on me (literally) but that was due to my stupidity and had nothing to do with the tool.

It's a hungry little monster.

RETIRED
2nd August 2010, 12:01 PM
See posts about Easytool Ci1. Same beast, different skin.

rsser
2nd August 2010, 12:10 PM
Yeah, EasyWoodTools, Easy Rougher - also available with 2" and 4" radius inserts: click
(http://easywoodtools.com/)

woodhog
7th August 2010, 04:56 PM
The 1/2" square cutter works well with almost no catches. Carbide is very hard treat it with care to avoid nicking the sharp edge. The round cutter works great for the final raduis cut on a bowls interior and not so great on spindles as it can leave machining ridges or rings. To get good round cutter results your hand movement and the cutters inward pressure must be smooth and steady. The correct lathe speed for the wood and advancing the tool cutter feed slower smooths out the rings and cutter ridges better.

rsser
7th August 2010, 05:12 PM
What I've learned playing around with the EWT tools, esp. the Easy Finisher, is that if the cutter bevel is polished as the EF circular one is, or if the edge is fresh, you can get a very good finish with spindle or faceplate items.

And woodhog is right, a light cut (and lifting the handle) will improve the finish regardless.