PDA

View Full Version : Casmite , Gorilla glue , Titebond or similar in Adelaide ?

barryr
11th October 2004, 05:00 PM
Any good suppliers of wood glues preferably
in the Northern suburbs ? tried Bunnings but didn't see much except PVA (was in kind of a hurry)

cheers , Barry .

himzol
11th October 2004, 05:18 PM
Not sure how far north you are but Mik carry the titebond range

barryr
11th October 2004, 06:37 PM
cheers Himzol , who's Mik though ?

scooter
12th October 2004, 12:27 AM
Barry, Bunnings have the new Aquadhere polurethane glue (gorilla glue is a polyurethane) supposed to be good stuff but it's pretty dear...you might try mail order from carbatec....cheers..........Sean

mikeyp
12th October 2004, 01:39 AM
I've seen it at Mik and Leda.

www.mik.com.au (http://www.mik.com.au)
www.ledamachinery.com.au (http://www.ledamachinery.com.au/)

Leda even had the newer Titebond III.

Mike

barryr
12th October 2004, 01:49 AM
cheers Scooter & Mikeyp , Hagrid , no idea your on about or why you posted it in this thread , guessing it was an accident !

barryr
12th October 2004, 02:07 PM
got some Aquahere urethane at Bunnings today , you were right about the price Scooter , $19 for 460ml (how bloody tight arsed are Selleys , 460ml instead of 500ml).

Anyway , while there I was looking at some urea-formaldehyde stuff , sounds like what Cascamite is except that it said "Melamine fortified" urea-formaldehyde - anyone know about these types of glue and if there is a difference or what Melamine fortified means ?

Barry .

jacko
12th October 2004, 08:54 PM
I have found the best polyeurathane glue to be sold by Kleiberit Adhesives
John White is national sales manager
[email protected] will find him

JupiterCreek
13th October 2004, 12:51 AM
Leda on Richmond Rd have the Titebond range. Andrew Pfitzner in Littlehampton's name was given to me when I emailed Titebond to find out where to buy the stuff. Any good guitar shop can order it in, but their supplier is slower than a wet week. Abrasives and Belts at Lonsdale also keep Titebond. Hope that helps.

barryr
13th October 2004, 03:07 AM
good stuff , thanks all .

kiwigeo
16th October 2004, 02:58 AM
Got my last bottle from Mitre 10 believe it or not......

GlueGuy
8th June 2011, 10:55 AM
Gorilla Glue is now available in Australia. The first shipment only arrived a few weeks ago, but it should be found in good wood work stores and independent hardwares. It is being distributed by Kincrome Tools.

Tankstand
8th June 2011, 07:27 PM
Welcome? Glue Guy

This is a 7 year old Thread!

GlueGuy
14th June 2011, 02:32 PM
Hi Tankstand

I know this is an old thread. Just happy to see Gorilla Glue finally here in Australia. I saw it in Sydney. My cousin in the USA raves about the stuff.

apauly1954
28th August 2011, 06:38 AM
Hi guys

I'm reviving this ancient, tired thread because Gorilla Glue is the ducks nuts, the dogs bollocks & everything else. I'm an Aussie living in the UK. I build hollow wood surfboards/longboards. I use Gorilla Glue exclusively as its waterproof & strong. It holds my boards together, it & nothing else. No nails, screws, no nothin' just Gorilla Glue.

I'm about to move back to Sydney (Northern Beaches) in October & intend (as long as they don't lose the container with all my jigs & tools in) to build my hollow wood surfboards in Oz. So I googled 'where to buy Gorilla Glue in Australia' & found this thread. Then I realised I'd been a (inactive) member since 2008.

I'd intended to become the 'down under' agent/importer but I've been beaten to it! No worries as long as I can get it at the local hardware or buy it online.

Anyway just my humble opinion. If you aren't using Gorilla Glue you're being a fool to yourself & a burden to others. lol

Paul

Robson Valley
28th August 2011, 10:45 AM
The guys down my street who build log tables, beds, etc, use nothing but Gorilla, admitting that they had tossed everything else out (poured it into sawdust, let the lump set up, out everything went.)
I've not needed to glue up anything in my wood sculpting until the next project ( a pair of 75cm Ravens with add-on beaks). All these testimonials have me convinced.

apauly1954
30th August 2011, 05:50 AM
Just a couple of considerations I shoulda mentioned when using Gorilla Glue. First, unless the missus doesn't mind you having black resin coated hands, wear gloves (I use the cheap latex ones which I buy even cheaper on ebay. A box of 100 lasts quite a while) & second as Gorilla Glue reacts to moisture when curing it's a real good idea to keep the nozzle sealed air tight when storing or you'll go back to use it & find you've got a solid mass instead of runny honey-like glue. Just saying.
Paul

Robson Valley
30th August 2011, 07:37 AM
apauly and others:
How well does Gorilla Glue hold up in carvings meant to be left outdoors in the elements?

apauly1954
30th August 2011, 04:10 PM
I'd say it would be absolutely perfect & would not deteriorate at all. I base this on the experience & knowledge that one of my fellow wood surfboard builders (in Noosa, Australia) uses Gorilla on his Paulownia boards & as Paulownia does not absorb saltwater he doesn't even bother to seal them. Just a light oiling with raw linseed.

Robson Valley
31st August 2011, 06:33 AM
That's good news. Still doing outdoor summer things but hope to glue the beak blanks to the birds soon to post as a WIP. Gorilla glue it is.

bsrlee
2nd October 2011, 11:56 PM
AV Syntec (an Oz company) make a wood friendly polurethane glue that has over the past 10 years of so of outdoor exposure in my yard bench has proven much superior to Gorilla Glue in holding things together - I ran out of the local product & used Gorilla to finish, the Gorilla has failed but the local product is still going strong.