PDA

View Full Version : Daylight Saving Time

silentC
13th October 2004, 10:33 AM
As suggested by Craig.

craigb
13th October 2004, 10:39 AM
Daylight saving is the best thing since sliced bread.

Should it be an annonymous poll though ? :D

Grunt
13th October 2004, 10:39 AM
I' live in Victoria and I love it. I lived in Perth for 23 years and we had day light savings for about 3 of those years and I loved them as well. The other 20 years weren't too bad either.

silentC
13th October 2004, 10:41 AM
Should it be an annonymous poll though
It is ;)

Oh, I get you. Well, I thought about making it an open vote but I would have had to click the checkbox and, what with waking up too early because of the early sun rise, I'm too tired to make the extra effort. :D

Gumby
13th October 2004, 11:00 AM
I love it but it should be voluntary. This is a democracy after all! :D

AlexS
13th October 2004, 11:40 AM
:D
I love it, but since retiring, I'm not affected much by it.

Funny thing is, now that I don't have to get up early to go to work, I don't have any problems waking and getting up early.

Barry_White
13th October 2004, 11:58 AM
I love it even though I am retired but I suppose all the Banana Benders will say they hate it.

I just feel sorry for all the people that live on the border especially in Tweed Heads and Coolangatta and is worse if you live on one side of the border and work on the other side.

Gumpy
13th October 2004, 11:58 AM
Day light saving should be in Victoria now, it gets light at about 5.30am.

Daniel

Ben from Vic.
13th October 2004, 12:03 PM
Daylight saving is great.

My father came from England and I got his complexion (SP?) as a result I normaly turn an iridesent type colour in winter. :eek:

I need all the sun I can get in summer.

Glowingly yours.

Ben.

Wongo
13th October 2004, 12:10 PM
It is great.

Wood Borer
13th October 2004, 12:17 PM
I voted don't care. For myself it is great but I live in Melbourne and work in an office during the week. For others it is inconvenient.

I can appreciate the advantages and disadvantages.

Sturdee
13th October 2004, 06:02 PM
I love daylight savings but why is it only in the summer? It would be better to have it in winter as well.

During winter you go to work and get home in the dark so a couple of hours daylight at the end of the day would be nice.

Peter.

DanP
13th October 2004, 06:29 PM
I love it and would have it year round if I could. I can't see what the big issue with the farmers is. I can see the problems in the top end though.

Dan

bitingmidge
13th October 2004, 08:33 PM
So why don't you Mexicans just get up an hour earlier like we do??

The beach is fabuloso at 5.00 am in Summer, and not so many UV rays either...then I can get home by 6.00 and go for a ride on my bike, or combine the two.... The sun goes down nice and early (7.00pm) so we can get to sleep in comfort and do it all over again tomorrow!

Daylight saving is not a real state of being, it isn't about when you get up or go to work, its just about a clock telling the wrong time.

P

Ben from Vic.
13th October 2004, 09:35 PM
Daylight saving is not a real state of being, it isn't about when you get up or go to work, its just about a clock telling the wrong time.
P

No, no, no, daylight saving is a huge change from normal time, it's almost cosmic.

There's more hours of sun, the birds get up later, the curtains fade less and they start 60 minutes before the sun goes down.

I hear they're even trying to change the orbit of the sun.

Bit like use-by-dates.

The food is perfectly fine until it reaches the date on the pack, then it instantly turns to bio-hazard waste.

Dr. Ben.

MarkV
13th October 2004, 10:41 PM
Don't like it at all It should be in winter

Barry_White
14th October 2004, 07:24 AM
Like I said all the Banana Benders wont like it, but they are just discovering the poll, because they just got up an hour late and they are missing out on everything.

E. maculata
14th October 2004, 08:06 AM
I love daylight saving, it's terrific, great.

P.S. did I mention I'm in favour of it :D

ptc
14th October 2004, 08:38 AM
it means its getting warmer here.[Tas]
and it does not fade the curtains.
ex qld.
ptc

bitingmidge
14th October 2004, 03:32 PM
, because they just got up an hour late and they are missing out on everything.
Bazza,

Living in Qld, we already have everything.

What is there that disappears so quickly where you live that you feel compelled to miss out on all those glorious zeds??

(This is the closest smiley I can get to a smug look) :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
P

silentC
14th October 2004, 03:34 PM
Living in Qld, we already have everything
Pffft

Caliban
14th October 2004, 04:01 PM
I used to like it but when my kids were littlish I came to hate it because they never wanted to go to bed when it was broad daylight, the next day they'd be cranky from not enough sleep, going to bed at 9 pm was too late for the poor possums. Also trying to get them up and organised to catch the 8 am school bus was a nightmare.
Now they are bigger I don't have any reason to dislike daylight savings apart from the curtains fading, the grass requiring extra mowing and the smug looks from midge. :D

Termite
14th October 2004, 04:40 PM
What is there that disappears so quickly where you live that you feel compelled to miss out on all those glorious zeds??

Time man, time. I'm 60 and the clock is running pretty fast.

bitingmidge
14th October 2004, 04:40 PM
Pffft

Baked Bean sangers for lunch again Silent??

:D :D :D

P

silentC
14th October 2004, 04:46 PM
Nah, that causes more of a 'brrrrup' sound. But then I do have a leather chair :D

Now here's question for you older chaps: do you reckon time passes more quickly the older you get? I mean, I'm nearly 40 and the months are flying by at a frightening pace. When I was a kid, a day lasted a week, especially when school was in. Why do you think that happens?

Termite
14th October 2004, 04:55 PM
Silent, for you the months are flying, for me the years are flying. I dont know why and I only get depressed thinking about it. Maybe because I'm on the downhill run things pass quicker.

bitingmidge
14th October 2004, 05:34 PM
Silent, for you the months are flying, for me the years are flying. I dont know why.

Ahh well I'm glad you all asked.

I've just put on my brightest shirt to give me some credibility while I answer that one.

It's all about relativity you see.

When you are very very young, Christmas takes for EVER to come around, and so it is for distances (are we there yet???), we only have the length of our own life experience to measure all other time-distances against.

One MONTH for a three year old is actually three percent of the time that person has been on earth, and probably almost 10% of the time it has experienced rational thought. (Some would disagree about the "rational" bit)

As we get older our perception of the passage of time continues to be measured by our own experience against the only baseline we have: our own life, and so as we get older the same period of time becomes a smaller percentage of that baseline. (I've nearly lost myself at this point.)

So one month for a 40 year old is 0.2% of its time on earth, for a 60 year old it is 0.14% and so on.

Soooo:
A three year old has to wait for a period equal to 33% of its life experience between Christmases, while a 60 year old only has to wait 1.6% of its life for the same time to pass.

Incredibly, for a 60 year old, time passes TWENTY TIMES faster than for a three year old.

Thank you, you've been a patient audience!!!

Dr P

:D :D :D

Termite
14th October 2004, 05:38 PM
Incredibly, for a 60 year old, time passes TWENTY TIMES faster than for a three year old. :D :D :D

AAHA! That only works on the weekends in the shed.

Ben from Vic.
14th October 2004, 09:11 PM
Midge

Thats quite simple but profound. I'm impressed.

It is true I presume?

If you don't mind me asking, were did you pick up this information?

Ben.

craigb
14th October 2004, 09:20 PM
Midge,

Precisely.

Ben,

It's self evident

bitingmidge
14th October 2004, 10:39 PM
If you don't mind me asking, were did you pick up this information?

Dunno! I read lots and lots and lots on just about every subject imaginable, and I have a kind of gooey mind so some of the interesting bits stick! Strangely I can never remember useful stuff!

It doesn't matter if it's true or not, it works for me!

Cheers.

P :D

silentC
15th October 2004, 09:40 AM
I dunno, it's a good theory but too neat and rational to be true. I wonder if it holds true for people who have no clocks.

Wongo
15th October 2004, 10:07 AM
I dunno, it's a good theory but too neat and rational to be true. I wonder if it holds true for people who have no clocks.

Silent,
Interesting point. Where there is no clock, time may not exist visually!! Lock 1 person in a dark room for 24 hours and another one for say 72 hours. Also lock 1 person in a room with a clock and a window for 24 hours and another one for 72 hours.

How would they react? How would they feel? Hmm…

Bushrat
15th October 2004, 10:19 AM
Couldn't have put it better my self, try the tropiccs- long hours of sunlight and balmy nights.
Notice they only get our reject banannas - the bent ones :p
Gotta go, the barra's are waiting
cheers
Bushie

Trav
20th October 2004, 01:17 PM
How can anyone with a conscience like daylight savings. With such a water crisis at the moment, going to daylight savings will simply cause that much more evaporation with all the extra sunlight. :eek:

Just kidding. I love it. How good was it when daylight savings started early for the olympics - bring it on!

Trav

alexg
20th October 2004, 03:18 PM
Here's another theory on the "time gets faster as you age" observation.

When you are younger you encounter many more new experiences, new knowledge, facts, language, sights, tastes etc and this takes time to process. These experiences serve to punctuate time, and make one day memorable from the next. The new memories/experiences are what drive our internal clock, each memory comparable to the audible "tic-toc" of a conventional clock. When you are young your new experiences are grouped very close together and so the "tics" are also. As we age and our experiences grow we encounter "new" things less often and so the "ticks" may be weeks apart. In effect our internal clock has slowed relative to the outside world - hence the apparent speeding up of time.

As an example think of the first time you drive a new route home in your car, your brain sees new things on the side of the road, you are learning, thinking, making new memories. Now after you have driven that route many times you no longer pay much attention to your surroundings (you've seen it all before) and you may find one day that you just pull-up your driveway and cannot recall anything from the journey. Its as if you just jumped in your car and then you were home (time just evaporated)

It is for this reason that we should strive to learn new things, have new experiences at every opportunity. Time is relative (heard that somewhere before haven't you) - so learn more, slow down time!

Alex

PS this theory is actually an extension of the previous one put forward however it should be apparent that time passes at different rates for different people and this theory goes some way to explaining why.

silentC
20th October 2004, 03:35 PM
Yes, all very learned. However, I believe it is simply because your brain fills up.

If you think of your brain as a sort of wet hard disk, when you are very young, it is virtually empty. There's an operating system on there that tells you how to breath and move your muscles etc. But your 'My Documents' folder is empty (apologies to Mac users. No really, I am sorry).

As you experience things, your brain blindly copies everything to My Documents. Even the most irrelevant and insignificant event is stored away for later analysis. Rarely does anything get discarded.

Now, when people talk about time passing quickly, this observation can only be made in retrospect. You can't say 'this second is taking longer than the last' but looking back it may seem that time since last Friday has passed very quickly, or conversly, very slowly.

When you are young, you have filled your My Documents folder with so many experiences and other rubbish, scanning over it all to evaluate the passing of time makes it appear over-inflated.

As you become older, your brain starts to get a bit more savvy about what can be saved and what can be discarded, so your My Documents folder fills at a slower rate. There is less in there and so looking back, it seems less has happened and time has passed more quickly.

As this starts to happen, you find you can't remember where you just put your tape measure but you can remember how many windows your tree house had, even though it was more than 30 years ago. Your brain is trying to conserve an ever increasingly limited memory capacity. Days go by where it stores nothing at all and so the days blur into one with nothing to distuinguish them. Time seems to have passed much more quickly compared to the days of childhood.

By the time you are very old, your brain is no longer capable of storing new information (disk full) so all it can do is replay old memories from My Documents at you until your relatives think you have lost the plot.

That's why it happens - your brain fills up.

johnmc
20th October 2004, 03:41 PM
The previous discussion on the relativity of the passage of time got me thinking about a related phenomenom: why, as you get older, do you apparently require less sleep each day ?

barnsey
20th October 2004, 04:00 PM
As I get older all that seems to happen is the mind says what the f#$% is going on here more often :eek: :rolleyes: :p !!!!

bitingmidge
20th October 2004, 04:12 PM
The previous discussion on the relativity of the passage of time got me thinking about a related phenomenom: why, as you get older, do you apparently require less sleep each day ?

It's actually related to my previous answer I think.

If the days go faster and you needed a fixed amount of sleep, you would end up asleep all day!

On the other hand there is a theory, that dreams are the equivalent of a computer hard drive de-frag, where stuff we've learned in a given day is moved from our RAM to our back up storage disk. When we are young and our backup is empty, we need lots of de-fragmenting each night to get all our memories in the right order.

As we get older, and all the slots are neatly filled, the old hard drive gets partitioned into neat little areas which need less maintenance. Just at the time when everything is full and we start to lose our marbles (minor corruption in some sectors of the drive), our body realises that more sleep is counter productive because there just isn't anywhere to shove the data that keeps coming in.

Of course, we nap during the day as well, which never gets to the sort of sleep needed to do all this stuff, but it has a purpose: it puts blank spaces in the data entry, so there is also less to process!!

ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
P :D

bitingmidge
20th October 2004, 04:21 PM
As I get older all that seems to happen is the mind says what the f#$% is going on here more often :eek: :rolleyes: :p !!!!

Funny barnsey, I've noticed two things as I get older:

1) I seem to be more forgetful

ozwinner
21st October 2004, 08:14 PM
Funny barnsey, I've noticed two things as I get older:

1) I seem to be more forgetful
Id give ya big greenie snooks, but it wont let me.

Al :D :D

Iain
22nd October 2004, 09:32 PM
I could agree with Christmas taking longer to come around but that argument is negated with the dentist appointment a week away that seemed to fly.
Not a problem any more, no teeth :D , sorry, picture that with no teeth :(