PDA

View Full Version : A 'turners buckle'

Manuka Jock
14th August 2010, 11:53 AM
I recently read of a device called a ' turner's buckle' .

The term ‘Backfoot’ is misleading as it refers to the back leg of a chair that continues in a curve to also form the chair back. The actual leg portion is usually left square but the section above the seat that forms the back is often turned. To turn the straight section of a curved component quickly and repetitively requires a simple solution. The answer was the ‘Turners Buckle’, a quick release devise, as simple in it’s conception as it was in operation. The main component was a profiled block of wood that operated as an extension to bring the turned portion back in line with the lathe centers. This was held in place with a hand forged rectangular steel link and wooden wedge. The ‘Turners Buckle‘ was used on both pole and power lathes.
Chair Turnings | Stuart King (http://www.stuartking.co.uk/index.php/chair-turnings/)

Anyone out there know of it , made one , got any pics ?

cheers
Jock

pommyphil
14th August 2010, 01:42 PM
The Practical Woodturner by Frank Pain has a diagram.

Manuka Jock
14th August 2010, 01:54 PM
Thanks .

Unfortunately I don't have access to the book .

cheers

mañana
15th August 2010, 09:55 AM
manuka jack
Pommiephil asked me to scan the sketch from Frank Pain's book and post it for you. Any questions on the bizzo, please direct to phil.
Mick C

steck
15th August 2010, 10:36 AM
Now that was something I didn't expect to learn on a Sunday morning!!
I had wondered how they managed those chair backs.
Thanks for the intere:2tsup:sting post.

Manuka Jock
15th August 2010, 12:13 PM
manuka jack
Pommiephil asked me to scan the sketch from Frank Pain's book and post it for you. Any questions on the bizzo, please direct to phil.
Mick C
Thanks Mick ,
much appreciated ,
cheers ,
Jock

Manuka Jock
15th August 2010, 12:16 PM
The Practical Woodturner by Frank Pain has a diagram. Thanks Phil

Skew ChiDAMN!!
16th August 2010, 12:28 AM
Interesting! I've done similar work by gluing on a scrap offcut using the old brown-paper bag trick.

Somehow I have more faith in the offcut than anything attached by purely mechanical means. (It also means less projections whizzing around to threaten life, limb and fixtures. ;) )

Manuka Jock
16th August 2010, 01:14 AM
I 'spose when there are dozens of legs to be done , the buckle trick is a tad faster to set up and take apart than the paper and glueup one.
And the wizzin' bit is at the other end of work piece :) .

I wonder if it will work with long spoons and ladles and the like :rolleyes:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
16th August 2010, 01:19 AM
This is true. Production work often has different requirements to hobbyists.

As for the whizzing bits, I've found it doesn't matter where they are; my fingers'll still find 'em. Hell, they can be on someone else's lathe and... :seald:

Manuka Jock
16th August 2010, 02:20 AM
I found this , now that I know what a Turner's Buckle is :)

http://www.bigtreetools.com/articles/turningChairBackLegs.pdf

RETIRED
16th August 2010, 11:48 AM
This is true. Production work often has different requirements to hobbyists.

As for the whizzing bits, I've found it doesn't matter where they are; my fingers'll still find 'em. Hell, they can be on someone else's lathe and... :seald:The bloke that taught me was a furniture maker from England.

He used to turn a lot of back legs and I asked him once if he ever got hit by the square section.

His reply," only once."

joe greiner
16th August 2010, 09:50 PM
I have a vague recollection of Nawm (Abrams, NYW) using a Y-shaped fixture to hold a chair leg for this purpose. A slot held the bent part of the leg, and the other wing of the fixture provided counterbalance.

Cheers,
Joe