PDA

View Full Version : New lathe. Maybe!!

Enfield Guy
15th August 2010, 02:19 PM
Have a look at this oh sage ones!!

Wood Lathe Vic Mark VL250 - eBay, Equipment, Machinery, Woodworking, Industrial. (end time 17-Aug-10 20:17:31 AEST) (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260647231785&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching#ht_500wt_940)

I don't need the extra length, but the variable speed is attractive as is the brand naturally. I'd reckon it would be the last lathe I would ever need. Outboard rest and a decent chuck as well.

Do you reckon the price is right? Maybe I am a stingy, tight***, but I was thinking about 3k would be right, 3.5 maybe a little high. Dollars are a bit tight for me at the moment (have been for about 12 months) but I could prolly go to 3.5K if need be.

I've probably cruelled myself by posting this but what the hell.

Advice would be appreciated.

Cheers
Bevan

Enfield Guy
15th August 2010, 02:21 PM
My god, I'm shocked!! The link even works. Woo hoo!!

Manuka Jock
15th August 2010, 03:16 PM
I dunno about the price , but the gear seems top notch . I like the long bed :2tsup:

good link too :D

rsser
15th August 2010, 05:11 PM
Price the setup new and then think 2/3rds or maybe more given VM quality. In a rational world.

jefferson
15th August 2010, 08:30 PM
I got my VL 175 with outboard turning attachment NEW late last year for under $5K from Jim C.

So I'm thinking the price is a little high if they want $4.5K, but the market will decide no doubt.

brendan stemp
15th August 2010, 10:27 PM
It's a lathe that isn't made anymore so its hard to say what its worth new. It's size is between the VL200 and VL300 so let's, for the sake of the exercise compare it to a VL200. These retail for around 5.8 K and the bed extension 1K. The outboard attachment is $500ish new, chuck $250, extra banjo $200 and a more powerful motor than is standard. All up, new, this lathe would be worth $7.5K. $4,200 seems a good price. 3.5K even better! I'm not sure when it was made but it probably has done a lot of work but Vicmarc can handle this. It also looks as though the hand wheel on the tail stock has been modified. Lookin good from where I'm sitting. But not sure if it has variable speed. You need to check this. I don't think the mention of an inverter infers EVS just that it has a 3phase motor that is converted to single phase. If not then take off 1K.

Enfield Guy
16th August 2010, 07:23 AM
Thanks for the replies. I am going to look at the jigger this morning. Turns out it is about 20 min from home, that makes a change.

I will be checking the bed and tailstock for wear. I will also be looking at the inverter to ensure it is a variable speed thingy. I don't like the way he has it set up with the control unit on the wall behind the lathe. I reckon that the control unit needs to be at the front or the side so that you don't have to reach over the spinning thing to adjust speed or stop it in a hurry.

I certainly don't have the room for the bed extension, the shed is not big enough for that. So I will be looking to see if it can be removed and greased up and stored. Might have to modify the stand to accomodate that.

If it is variable speed and it can be dismantled then I will consider it seriously.

Now I wonder what my present lathe is worth second hand? It's a Tecnatool TL1500. The one with the 2 x 50mm solid bars as the lathe bed. Would $700.00 be too much too ask?

Cheers

Ozceltic63
16th August 2010, 09:37 AM
no has bid on it still.

Ed Reiss
16th August 2010, 12:25 PM
Bevan...if possible, have a good listen to the spindle bearings at both low and high speed.

Enfield Guy
16th August 2010, 12:41 PM
I have looked at the lathe this morning. Presently owned by a guy who makes his living doing production turning, mainly staircase work. Bearings sound fine, put a bit of dowel against the headstock at low speed and high speed, no grumbling. The only issue that I see is minor mis alignment of the drive dogs, about .5mm by my eye. Might be able to be rectified by shimming a foot,(thanks for the tip Brendan).

It has been used for production turning and the bed has a few scratches as would be expected. Maybe the misalignment is due to bed wear? It is a 91 model so getting on 20 years old. I don't have room for, or the need for the extra bed length, at this stage. But I am looking for better accuracy. The VSD does not indicate actual RPM but with the 6 speeds it will run from near stopped to lightning fast.

I suppose the decision for me is, whether I can afford it, whether I would be better off buying new, and whether or not the alignment can be rectified. I'm thinking that 3k might be the right money.

So many questions!!!! I have till tomorrow to ponder.

Thanks for everyones input. I'll let you know what pans out.

Cheers

Tony Morton
16th August 2010, 03:59 PM
I had a look at a vl 175 swivel head vm120 mm chuck and box set of tools dont know brand near new he wants 3000 for it,if any ones interested i can get you his phone no.
Cheers Tony

pommyphil
16th August 2010, 04:15 PM
Tony If that's the one from Lake Cathie it sold :D

Tony Morton
16th August 2010, 06:24 PM
Yep that was the one Ididnt think it would last long at that price.
Cheers Tony