PDA

View Full Version : My davinci pole lathe

Michael Spain
18th August 2010, 06:19 AM
Hi, this is a reply of a pole lathe that the brilliant DaVinci designed and I did last year, in the video they will be able to see that it works perfectly, in the world there is only 3 of them, I use it only to do demonstrations in fairs.

YouTube - TORNO DA VINCI by Miguel

orificiam
18th August 2010, 08:46 AM
Hello Michael Congratulation that's a real work of Art Da Vinci would be proud.
although i wouldn't Call it a Pole Lathe, More like a treadle Lathe.
Thank you for the Link.:2tsup:
Cheers Tony.:)

hughie
18th August 2010, 12:09 PM
well done Miguel. :2tsup: The fly wheel design would be far superior to the pole type.

Terry B
18th August 2010, 12:56 PM
Exercise and turning in one setting. Good one.:2tsup:

Dave50
18th August 2010, 04:23 PM
thats a ripper, only problem is after using that and building up the muscles in your left leg more than your right arent you inclined to walk in circles.........LOL!

Michael Spain
19th August 2010, 08:49 AM
thats a ripper, only problem is after using that and building up the muscles in your left leg more than your right arent you inclined to walk in circles.........LOL!
:rotfl::roflmao:Very good appreciation, but thanks to God I learned to walk already in straight line again.:wave:

Michael Spain
19th August 2010, 08:58 AM
Hello Michael Congratulation that's a real work of Art Da Vinci would be proud.
although i wouldn't Call it a Pole Lathe, More like a treadle Lathe.
Thank you for the Link.:2tsup:
Cheers Tony.:)
I'm sorry if my words sometimes are not exact, it is due to the fact that a translator of google used and sometimes he does not say correctly what I want to express, anyhow thank you for trying to understand each other..:B:doh:

Dave50
19th August 2010, 12:34 PM
I seen one a long time ago that had a long piece of light rope attached to a long flexible arm, I think to use it one wound the rope around the pulley and thus loaded the arm, upon release the arm would pull up powering the pulley and spinning the object to be lathed, some very good ideas out there!, good on ya Michael for showing us this one!

Manuka Jock
19th August 2010, 12:39 PM
I seen one a long time ago that had a long piece of light rope attached to a long flexible arm, I think to use it one wound the rope around the pulley and thus loaded the arm, upon release the arm would pull up powering the pulley and spinning the object to be lathed, some very good ideas out there!, good on ya Michael for showing us this one!
How was the rope rewound on the pulley again ? did the turner have to stop and do it before picking up the gouge again ?

RETIRED
19th August 2010, 12:49 PM
Generally one end of the rope was attached to a springy sapling or pole.

The other end to a foot pedal.

A loop was formed that was put around the work.

When the foot pedal was pushed down the work rotated and the chisel applied. The pole pulled the cord and pedal back up so that you could do it all again and so on until the piece was turned.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pole_lathe

Manuka Jock
19th August 2010, 12:49 PM
Miguel ,
that is a very good lathe that you have built , congradulations .:)

I think that the English tecnical name for it is a 'continuous rotation treadle lathe '

You have a good website , thank you for showing these things to us . :2tsup:

cheers,
Jock

Dave50
19th August 2010, 12:58 PM

When the foot pedal was pushed down the work rotated and the chisel applied. The pole pulled the cord and pedal back up so that you could do it all again and so on until the piece was turned.

Pole lathe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pole_lathe)

very similar, but the one I seen had to be rewound manually, huge long thin arm, possibly 12 feet long, took roughly 10 feet of thin rope wound around a large pulley to pull it down again, only seemed to get a relatively small amount of turning done, maybe 7 or 8 seconds, before having to rewind the thing for another go, perhaps the one in your piccy is the next model on, didnt get to speak to the feller operating it, big crowd!! noisy kids, horrid females,

Manuka Jock
19th August 2010, 12:59 PM

Pole lathe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pole_lathe)

I know what pole lathes are and how they work :rolleyes:

I was asking Dave50 how the rope rewound . Maybe he knows but forgot to put that very important bit of information into his post .:doh:

Manuka Jock
19th August 2010, 01:01 PM
very similar, but the one I seen had to be rewound manually, huge long thin arm, possibly 12 feet long, took roughly 10 feet of thin rope wound around a large pulley to pull it down again, only seemed to get a relatively small amount of turning done, maybe 7 or 8 seconds, before having to rewind the thing for another go, perhaps the one in your piccy is the next model on, didnt get to speak to the feller operating it, big crowd!! noisy kids, horrid females,
Dave , did the rope realy have to be rewound by hand or did the spring of the pole do the recoil ?

Dave50
19th August 2010, 01:03 PM
I'm sorry mate yes I did forget, the feller had a small protruding handle on the end of the pulley, he would grasp this in the same manner as starting an older car, reversing the direction to rewind the rope, he would then release the pulley and start his work! given all the effort required he turned out some truly beautiful work and the machine certainly gave him the attendance

Manuka Jock
19th August 2010, 01:06 PM
I'm sorry mate yes I did forget, the feller had a small protruding handle on the end of the pulley, he would grasp this in the same manner as starting an older car, reversing the direction to rewind the rope, he would then release the pulley and start his work! given all the effort required he turned out some truly beautiful work and the machine certainly gave him the attendance
I 'spose the the old days the apprentice had the pleasure of pulling the rope :D

Check out this site Dave , one of our members in England has a pole lathe that puts the boy out of a job :U
Robin Wood :: wooden bowls & plates :: traditional turning :: spoon carving :: countryside furniture (http://www.robin-wood.co.uk/)

Dave50
19th August 2010, 01:15 PM
incredible stuff, we have, well I should say, I have, a modern high powered, multi speed, highly accurate lathe sitting in the shed and cant turn out anywhere near that standard!

Manuka Jock
19th August 2010, 01:18 PM
incredible stuff, we have, well I should say, I have, a modern high powered, multi speed, highly accurate lathe sitting in the shed and cant turn out anywhere near that standard!
And he doesn't use sandpaper :D

artme
19th August 2010, 06:21 PM
Super stuphph there Miguel!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

A well built machine and obviously very effective, both for turning and for exercise!!:D