Jarrahland

bookend
19th August 2010, 02:46 AM
I'm green with envy.

Lovely work.

Evan Pavlidis
19th August 2010, 05:33 AM
You guys are blessed in the west :)
Good find Willy :2tsup:...Nice work; the finish is superb with these type of burls due to the density. If you think red salmon is hard, try york gum; 90% is scraper work and the going is slow, but the effort is worth it.

Thanks for sharing.
Cheers, Evan

PS. Have a look at the following website; it would have to be the best site I have ever seen displaying our burls and notice the quality and prices.

http://www.australianburls.com/

TTIT
19th August 2010, 09:14 AM
Oooooeer! Solid burls - t'would be paradise :; Most of the burls around here are the resin type - not in the same league :C Very jealous.

hughie
19th August 2010, 09:39 AM
[! Solid burls - t'would be paradise :; Most of the burls around here are the resin type - not in the same league :CDunno Vern, after a while resinous burls are attractive, solid are hard yakka.:C:U
I've got a couple of ancient burls sitting on the floor,
been looking at them for a while now. :no:

Willy, good pick up :2tsup:

stuffy
19th August 2010, 12:24 PM
Well done Willy, what a great haul, and nicely turned. :2tsup:

Some of those Goldfields burls are like turning rock, but the results are like gemstones.
The hardest wood I've turned is a Gimlet burl, most York Gum is no where near as hard. They all have beautiful colour.

Keep the pics coming!

artme
19th August 2010, 06:24 PM
:C:C Go away Willy!! I'm already depressed!!:p

dai sensei
19th August 2010, 07:21 PM
Great score Willy :2tsup:

Soren
19th August 2010, 09:54 PM
In the words of Monte Python's Life of Brian:

" You lucky, lucky B@#tard"

I wish I could even get close to a haul like that :2tsup:

Great score, and now let us all see you turn these into exemplary items.

Ed Reiss
20th August 2010, 11:56 AM
Great find Willy:2tsup: ...if you happen to run across a couple of "orphans" among the lot, chuck 'em in the big pond and I'll wait for 'em on this side with a net:wink:

NeilS
20th August 2010, 12:15 PM
Yummy...:2tsup:

Willy Nelson
23rd August 2010, 07:41 AM
Hello Ed
Quite funny. I can imagine how bleached the outside would look, maybe I will throw some in the pond. From now on, any driftwood you find, it's from me. http://cdn.woodworkforums.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

As an update, I haven't turned anymore, but did spend a few hours with a 2200 psi water blaster removingbark. This proved quite handy, and less painful than picking the bark off with a knife. http://cdn.woodworkforums.com/images/icons/icon10.gif
I did find pre soaking in water for a few days softened the bark and made the process quicker.

Thanks for the comments
Cheers
Willy
In Jarrahland, but now with a heap of awesome burl

Great find Willy:2tsup: ...if you happen to run across a couple of "orphans" among the lot, chuck 'em in the big pond and I'll wait for 'em on this side with a net:wink:

Ed Reiss
23rd August 2010, 11:48 AM
Hmmmm...good idea using a power washer to blast the bark off. Will have to give that a try:cool:

be lookin' for that driftwood:D

stuffy
23rd August 2010, 12:51 PM
Don't hold your breath Ed, those burls would drift like a lead balloon and I'd be looking for some scuba gear and salvage rights.
:D