PDA

View Full Version : Yeah people after some info

Nai84
21st August 2010, 12:13 AM
Hi people

Just wondering if you could suugest any good wood turning books for me to read as i am fairly new to wood turning and i am learning buy myself as i dont know any other wood turners.:D:D:D

stuffy
21st August 2010, 02:21 AM
Welcome to the forum Nai84, you'll get to know plenty of turners here!

Check out your local library for books by Richard Raffan, Mike Darlow, Keith Rowley or any of a hundred others.

If you get stuck with something specific don't be afraid to ask dumb questions here or private message me I live just down the road a bit and I'd be glad to help.

Best Wishes
Steve
:)

mkypenturner
21st August 2010, 07:19 AM
besides the books there is good old youtube that way you can see how is being done not just a fews pics

Ed Reiss
21st August 2010, 12:10 PM
Hi Nai84 and welcome to the nut house:doh::2tsup:

A really good book to check out is Turned-Bowl Design by Richard Raffan. It's from 1987, but just as relevant today.

The ISBN is 0-918804-82-5 There is a wealth of info there.

steck
21st August 2010, 12:32 PM
besides the books there is good old youtube

I agree mkypenturner.
There is a lot of quite good stuff on youtube. Great spot for beginners to start.

RETIRED
21st August 2010, 12:36 PM
I agree mkypenturner.
There is a lot of quite good stuff on youtube. Great spot for beginners to start.And a lot of bad, really bad.:oo:

Tim the Timber Turner
21st August 2010, 01:39 PM
And a lot of bad, really bad.:oo:

Really really bad, some of it.:oo::oo:

Only good if you want to do yourself a serious injury.:no:

The difficulty for a newbie is knowing what is good and what is dangerous.

Cheers

Tim

Nai84
21st August 2010, 03:21 PM
Thank you for the info it will be most helpfull to me does anyone know if there is any where i can get some wood turning class around where i live
:D:D:D:D

Cheers

rsser
21st August 2010, 03:47 PM
Well there's the kind offer in post no. 2.

Otherwise do a google for woodworking or woodworking clubs or professionals in WA.

Sprog
21st August 2010, 03:56 PM
Hi people

Just wondering if you could suugest any good wood turning books for me to read as i am fairly new to wood turning and i am learning buy myself as i dont know any other wood turners.:D:D:D

You will get all the help you need at one of the groups listed here

www.woodturnerswa.com/ (http://www.woodturnerswa.com/)

Nai84
21st August 2010, 10:53 PM
Hi Everyone

Thanks for all the info hey it will help heaps

Cheers:2tsup:

HazzaB
21st August 2010, 11:14 PM
Hey Nai,

Welcome to the Fray

There is the Mandurah WoodTurners we meet every Thursday 6.00pm, at the Scout Hall on Anstruther Road, there are a few of the guys who do lessons, you will get heaps of info, If you need a hand, send me a PM and I can give you some contacts, I have some books, but like the guys have said You Tube can be your friend..

HazzaB

Skew ChiDAMN!!
22nd August 2010, 12:22 AM
When it comes to books, my recommendation for a relative beginner would be for Rowley over Raffan.

Rowley states the important concepts very clearly and simply in plain language.

Raffan, on the other hand, is very technical. If I have trouble getting to sleep, I'll read one of his books and be out like a light before I finish the first page. :wink: His books are more like technical references. Not "Big Dummies Guides To..."

Darlow's books are somewhere in between.

(Just thought it needed to be said. )

stuffy
22nd August 2010, 03:15 AM
When it comes to books, my recommendation for a relative beginner would be for Rowley over Raffan.

Rowley states the important concepts very clearly and simply in plain language.

Raffan, on the other hand, is very technical. If I have trouble getting to sleep, I'll read one of his books and be out like a light before I finish the first page. :wink: His books are more like technical references. Not "Big Dummies Guides To..."

Darlow's books are somewhere in between.

(Just thought it needed to be said. )

I think you've got Raffan confused with Darlow.

Tim the Timber Turner
22nd August 2010, 10:16 AM

Agreed:wink:

Nai84
22nd August 2010, 12:56 PM
Hi Guys

I just want to say thankyou for all the info again and also to say you guys are the best i should of joined long time ago and a big thanks to HazzaB and stuffy

What to Say But

THANKYOU GUYS
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

artme
22nd August 2010, 06:48 PM
G'day Nai and welcome to the cubby!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Any book, and better still VIDEO, by Mike Darlow is the very best start for a beginner.

rsser
22nd August 2010, 07:06 PM
I'm with the others; Darlow, if you can keep awake, is very good but technical.

+1 to Rowley for a starter's book, but that said, there's no substitute for lessons with a competent teacher.

Nai84
22nd August 2010, 09:16 PM
Thaks everyone

heaps of info from everyone and love it takin it all

Cheers :2tsup:

nalmo
22nd August 2010, 09:26 PM
Raffan's book "Turning Wood" starts with the basics about wood, tools & equipment and gives a very good introduction to both spindle and bowl turning.

The Youtube videos put out by Jet tools are an excellent introduction to techniques, and some simple projects to get you started. There's nothing better than seeing it demonstrated, rather than just reading about it. Search youtube for "jet tools lathe".

And welcome to the forum.

Nai84
22nd August 2010, 11:13 PM
Thank nalmo will do i will see if i can find that book online:2tsup:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
23rd August 2010, 02:02 AM

Quite right. I did indeed. :B (It was a really stupid typo. Honestly! :doh:)

Grumpy John
23rd August 2010, 08:00 PM
Quite right. I did indeed. :B (It was a really stupid typo. Honestly! :doh:)

Nah Skew, you were just brain dead after reading 2 paragraphs of Darlow :D.

rsser
23rd August 2010, 08:29 PM
Darlow's live performances should be classified as a Grade A narcotic.

But in his Fundamentals book there's a precision of terms descriptions and photos that Raffan's books don't match. Least that's my experience.