PDA

View Full Version : Ok time for a stoopid question

Nai84
22nd August 2010, 09:20 PM
Hi Everyone

What are the best tools for a beginer to start with i have so many i dont even know what some of them are

Cheers Nai:2tsup:

Manuka Jock
22nd August 2010, 09:23 PM
How about a lathe ........:U

Nai84
22nd August 2010, 09:31 PM
LOL check got one of them whats next:D

Chief Tiff
22nd August 2010, 09:37 PM
3/4" Roughing gouge, 3/8' spindle gouge and a 1/8" parting off tool as an absolute minimum (IMHO!)

GPW does a good own-brand starter set made from M2 HSS with the above tools plus a bowl gouge, skew chisel, bowl and round nose scraper.

Manuka Jock
22nd August 2010, 09:48 PM
LOL check got one of them whats next:D
What size and type ?
go on , post a pic , ya know ya want to show us :U

Nai84
22nd August 2010, 10:22 PM
this is my lathe carbatec MC-110A and a dust extartor

Sawdust Maker
22nd August 2010, 10:23 PM
Grinder
either dry or wet !

Sawdust Maker
22nd August 2010, 10:26 PM
BTW
the lathe looks too clean, no shavings, no dust, no curlies
That's a code voilition! :((

You have 2 days to redeem yourelf :p

coffenup
22nd August 2010, 10:35 PM
Nai84
If you have no shavings to cover the lathe with I can send you a box full to help clean my shed:U:U
Regards Michael

Manuka Jock
22nd August 2010, 10:42 PM
Nice one Nai :2tsup: .

Arm yourself with a few tools , and set to it .
What are you liking to do , spindle stuff or faceplate ?

Hey Nai , what about those chisels hanging on the back wall , just grab one and have a go :)

Nai84
22nd August 2010, 10:43 PM
That pic is from when it was just out of the box what about this pic its full of dust and shavings from yeaterday and today

Nai84
22nd August 2010, 10:47 PM
Hi manuka jock

I am looking to a bit of everything i have a face plate and i am waiting on my chuck as it is on order:2tsup:

Manuka Jock
22nd August 2010, 10:53 PM
What as left after you took all those shavings off ? anything :U

Nai84
22nd August 2010, 11:05 PM
Ha Ha

There is this is what i did today its a candle holder for my wife:p:cool::2tsup:

Manuka Jock
22nd August 2010, 11:14 PM
Well done mate , congrats :2tsup:
Nothing wrong with that at all Nai

I've seen similar shapes with a long hole inside , called weed pots ( vases) .
The 'weed' being one dried flower .
They look good

Nai84
22nd August 2010, 11:19 PM
Thanks manuka jock that means heaps hey its made from some cypress pine decking that i had gotten from work i just cut it down and glued it together :U
just cant wait to turn some plates and bowls

Nai84
22nd August 2010, 11:53 PM
This is pics of my new lathe and its drity:rolleyes::2tsup:

HazzaB
23rd August 2010, 12:06 AM
Hey Nai,

Now it looks like a real shed and not a showroom. Some nice shavings off that pine, you sure that you need some help ?????

HazzaB

Nai84
23rd August 2010, 12:30 AM
Hi HazzaB

Thanks thats what it always looks like when im working on something and i am sure i do need some help on some things :D

Nai

issatree
23rd August 2010, 03:15 AM
Hi Nia,
Seeing that your a younger Person, I would like to see a Slated Duk Board for you to stand on while Turning.
Not a great Idea to stand on just cement.
Rubber Or Carpet are not much better.
Make the Slats say ; 1200mm. long x 50mm. wide, x 10mm. thick & with say 30mm. apart & glue & screw the Slats to 4 - 5, 75 x 50mm. pine boards ( off cuts from a timber framer. )
You may have to raise your Lathe after you make your Duk Board.
I did not see any lighting for you to Turn by, & there will be a discussion about Incandescent Lighting, by which I prefer over these twisty flouro globes.
I use 2, 120W Flood Lights, & a 60W. on a double arm. ( desk lamp )
Hope that helps a little.
Regards,
issatree.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Rifleman1776
23rd August 2010, 05:30 AM
I would add a 1" skew as a 'must' for starter tools.

Ed Reiss
23rd August 2010, 12:01 PM
don't forget the single most important item.....cold beer:2tsup:

stuffy
23rd August 2010, 12:43 PM
Well done Nai, that's what a turners shed should look like.
:2tsup:

Looks like your taking shavings not just dust or chips, so you must be doing something right.
Read lots and practice more and you'll be a pro in no time.

Maybe we should have a turning get together down our way? Hazza could teach me some pen turning, I could show you how to tame the skew and we could debate Darlow vs Raffan. Oh and maybe Pete could take some photos and show me how to post them?

Best Wishes

Steve
:)

artme
23rd August 2010, 01:11 PM
G'day Nai and welcome to the fun!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

You are off to a good start. Nice lathe, nice shavings, nice candlestck holder!:):)

Grumpy John
23rd August 2010, 07:53 PM
Welcome fellow Red Shirt :D, what dept. of Bunnies do you work in?
Looking at the first pictures I'd say you're gunna need some insulation come summer time. Where abouts in WA is Baldivus, if it's in the top half you're gonna fry. Get chummy with the guys in outdoor timber, I've been scoring 2400 x 1200 x 16 cover sheets to line my shed.

Nai84
23rd August 2010, 10:18 PM
Hi Grumpy John

I work in trade depart and where i live in baldivis is not to bad but thats my next step for my shed so if need them i just have to ask. What depart do you work in

Cheers Nai

Nai84
23rd August 2010, 10:38 PM
Hi Stuffy

Thank you im glad it meets the standards LOL,sound like a fantasic idea i am up for it it would be an honour to learn some things from you and hazzaB. Here is a bowl i did in pine (well if you can call it that) and a plate that i done out of pine what do yous guys think and be honest

Cheers Nai:2tsup::2tsup:

Grumpy John
23rd August 2010, 10:45 PM
Hi Grumpy John

I work in trade depart and where i live in baldivis is not to bad but thats my next step for my shed so if need them i just have to ask. What depart do you work in

Cheers Nai

Hire shop and tool shop when needed.

Nai84
23rd August 2010, 10:48 PM
Hi Grumpy john

So how long have you been with bunnings

Cheers Nai

Manuka Jock
23rd August 2010, 10:52 PM
Nia , they are both good pieces . Good balance in the shpes , and well finished .:)

As you have found , Pine is a good wood to work . If you can get a good result with it , you can with most other wood .
What size are they both , and what finish did you use ?

HazzaB
23rd August 2010, 10:54 PM
Hey Nai,

Sorry I didn't get to Bunnies today, Bloody Work got in the way, the bits and bobs you posted look OK from here, Once we have a play date in the next week or so, we can tune your enthusium, to better things, as Stuffy said, maybe some pens, and things, then look out you'll be really hooked.

Looking Good so Far.

HazzaB

PS, Did you have a look at your Roster today?, send Me and Stuffy a PM and we'll organise a Home visit and get you more sorted.

Grumpy John
23rd August 2010, 10:55 PM
Coming up for two years now, probably one of the best companies I've ever worked for, not necessarily the best job.

Nai84
23rd August 2010, 11:01 PM
Grumpy john

I agree on that and it has been nearly two years for me as well

HazzaB i sent you a pm

Cheers Nai:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Nai84
23rd August 2010, 11:25 PM
Hey Nai,

Sorry I didn't get to Bunnies today, Bloody Work got in the way, the bits and bobs you posted look OK from here, Once we have a play date in the next week or so, we can tune your enthusium, to better things, as Stuffy said, maybe some pens, and things, then look out you'll be really hooked.

Looking Good so Far.

HazzaB

PS, Did you have a look at your Roster today?, send Me and Stuffy a PM and we'll organise a Home visit and get you more sorted.

Hi HazzaB

Did you get my pm
:D:D

Cheers Nai

Sawdust Maker
24th August 2010, 10:43 PM
This is pics of my new lathe and its dirty:rolleyes::2tsup:

Now that's heaps better!
by the looks of the floor etc you have had heaps of fun
now I'm jealous

Like the look of your turnings as well. :2tsup:

Nai84
24th August 2010, 11:25 PM
Well im glad that is up to the standards of a wood shaving covered lathe and i always have fun in the shed on my lathe and thank you
Nai:D:D