PDA

View Full Version : Skewing beads

Tiger
24th August 2010, 03:18 PM
As I'm only a hobby turner (like most of us), I find that when I don't use the lathe regularly my technique suffers. I find that when I turn beads with the skew chisel, they turn perfectly to the right but my left turned beads are of variable quality, some are ok but every 4th or so bead gives me a problem. The tool seems to jar or get stuck as it's completing the final stages of the cut. Is it common to do one side of the bead well and the other not so well? I would presume that my grip (for the left side) is the problem but not sure.

RETIRED
24th August 2010, 04:02 PM
Is it common to do one side of the bead well and the other not so well?

Yes.

Tiger
24th August 2010, 04:19 PM
Yes.

Is there a particular reason(s) for this and is it usually the left side?

Manuka Jock
24th August 2010, 04:28 PM
Tiger , are you left or right handed ?

Frank&Earnest
24th August 2010, 04:30 PM

You are right handed. The reason is "starting a cut with the skew's sides inclined too steeply". Mike Darlow, The fundamentals of woodturning, page 99.

Tiger
24th August 2010, 04:31 PM
I'm right-handed.

Manuka Jock
24th August 2010, 04:35 PM
Looks like Frank has the reason .
I gotta get the hang of it too .
Most of the spindle work that I have done has been for tool handles :U .

Tiger
24th August 2010, 04:39 PM
You are right handed. The reason is "starting a cut with the skew's sides inclined too steeply". Mike Darlow, The fundamentals of woodturning, page 99.

Pretty sure I start from a horizontal or near horizontal position and that's what has got me flummoxed about the resulting cut.

RETIRED
24th August 2010, 05:14 PM
Take a half step to the left and try it.

No it is not the "Time Warp".

You are probably getting in your own way so give yourself room to move.

RETIRED
24th August 2010, 08:36 PM
Have you tried it yet?

Avery
24th August 2010, 10:33 PM
I'm right-handed.
Practice turning left handed - i.e. with the right hand on the blade and the left on the handle.

It takes a while to get use to it , but I find it makes a lot of cuts a lot easier once you have the skill.

Tiger
24th August 2010, 11:36 PM
Have you tried it yet?

, I tried that but it didn't really do the trick. I notice now that it sometimes happens on the right side as I tried slight variations in technique. There seems to be a very fine line between success and failure with beads, if I attempt a slightly greater cut than I should, I run into this problem. I think I'm doing everything else right.

robyn2839
25th August 2010, 08:21 AM
find a left hander who has trouble with the right and work something out between yourselves........bob

stuffy
25th August 2010, 11:00 AM
Try practising with good clearance either side of the bead i.e. parting tool cut or raised bead (astragal).
Check your skew for smooth and equal bevels both sides. I find it easier with a smaller angle of skew using just the short point.
Good luck.
:)

Ed Reiss
25th August 2010, 12:24 PM
Tiger, over time and sufficent practice you'll get the hang of it...don't give up:2tsup:

RETIRED
25th August 2010, 12:52 PM
If I remember rightly you reshaped your skew a little while ago and lengthened the bevels.

Longer bevels require a better "feel" than shorter ones and are more likely to bite quicker than a shorter bevel.

Tiger
25th August 2010, 01:00 PM
If I remember rightly you reshaped your skew a little while ago and lengthened the bevels.

Longer bevels require a better "feel" than shorter ones and are more likely to bite quicker than a shorter bevel.

You're right! I did increase the length of the bevel and that is the only thing I've done differently so it must be that because previously (with the shorter bevel) I don't recall having this problem. I suppose "feel" can only be gained by practice or would a slight alteration of technique help?

Rifleman1776
26th August 2010, 12:08 AM
Practice, practice, practice.
Find some scrap and work on that until you get the 'feel' of what you need to do.

John Lucas
26th August 2010, 06:26 AM
Rifleman has it. Practice practice practice. And more practice. I'm pretty good with a skew but if I go out there right now after not turning for a few days I'll have trouble turning one side of the bead more so than the other.
My friend Nick Cook has a saying. There are just so many catches built into a skew. You have to use them up.

Tiger
26th August 2010, 05:25 PM
Thanks everyone for your contributions. They are all helpful, I have turned thousands of beads mostly successful over the years, what had me perplexed was why suddenly the skew was behaving differently. Just shows that one subtle difference in sharpening can change a tool's performance.

Manuka Jock
26th August 2010, 05:39 PM
Theres' a lesson in that for all of us huh .
Cheers for bringing it up Tiger . :2tsup:

Enfield Guy
27th August 2010, 07:06 PM
This is a problem I too have been having. Now I know why!!

Thanks for posting.

Cheers

Frank&Earnest
28th August 2010, 03:02 PM

Is this another way of saying that the more acute the sharpening angle the more aggressive the tool?

RETIRED
28th August 2010, 06:19 PM
To a certain extent yes, particularly on the skew chisel.

It is good in the right hands but it requires a gentle touch because if you lift it too quick to start the cut it will "dig in", (not a catch as such), looking for bevel support.

Hope that makes sense.

Frank&Earnest
28th August 2010, 06:45 PM
To a certain extent yes, particularly on the skew chisel.

It is good in the right hands but it requires a gentle touch because if you lift it too quick to start the cut it will "dig in", (not a catch as such), looking for bevel support.

Hope that makes sense.

Totally :2tsup: