PDA

View Full Version : Chuck inserts

pommyphil
24th August 2010, 05:36 PM
Upgraded my MC1100 to a VM175SH. Two NZ Novas came with the old lathe and I had bought a GPW100 and a GPW110. So, I need 4 M30 X 3.5 inserts. Having read of all the problems with runout, wobble,etc I decided to do the right thing and get "genuine parts". GPW were perfect, straight in, locked up square and tight, ran dead true. Had some trouble finding Nova but I got a couple, all greased and sealed in Nova boxes.Would not fit on the spindle, would not fit in the chuck ! There's 5mm unthreaded on the spindle and though the insert was machined to fit over that it didn't, a few thou under size. no go. The Nova chucks have a few mm unthreaded at the bottom, so the bottom turn of the thread needs machining off. These are genuine parts $30 each, I should not have to machine them myself to fit, Finished up getting a couple of $10 Torquada from Timbecon, scraped a thread off the bottom and perfect,tight and true. and a refund from the Nova retailer. Got to be a lesson in there somewhere.

Phil

RETIRED
24th August 2010, 05:47 PM
The spindle nose is longer on the Vicmark.

When I have to do a demonstration we always take spacers for that reason.

NeilS
24th August 2010, 09:51 PM
Finished up getting a couple of $10 Torquada from Timbecon, scraped a thread off the bottom and perfect,tight and true.
Phil

Good to know about that alternative source Phil

pommyphil
25th August 2010, 09:16 AM
Yes I've seen spacers used on shallower, tommy bar chucks, but on my Gen3 & SN Novas, spindle length was not a factor. Just badly machined Nova inserts that fit neither the spindle, nor the Nova chucks :(

RETIRED
25th August 2010, 09:49 AM
Sorry Phil, misread the original post.

Ed Reiss
25th August 2010, 12:31 PM
Phil, your good to shy away from Nova chucks...their quality is nowhere near what it used to be.
I went thru 2 Supernovas and 3 inserts (thanks Craft Supplies USA for all your patience and help) before getting a refund. Bought a Oneway chuck after that and it ran absolutly true.