PDA

View Full Version : Live centre without morse taper

John G
25th August 2010, 01:23 PM
I have got an old mini lathe (I guess you could call it a "hobby" lathe).

The tailstock only has a dead centre, so I wanted to replace it with a live (rotating) centre. The problem is the tail stock is not a morse taper - it is a lockable 1/2" shaft.

So it is possible to get live centres that do not have morse taper ends? i.e. preferably a threaded end?

Alternatively, is it possible to take a new centre apart to remove the taper (which I would replace with a 1/2" shaft)?

Final alternative (not preferred), where can I buy a small replacement tail stock from?

Thanks,
John.

TTIT
25th August 2010, 01:37 PM
Might be able to help out - with emphasis on the "might" bit. I've still got the tailstock from my old home-made lathe which used a 25mm threaded rod. I machined a JT3 taper on the end so I could use a Jacobs chuck on it and then made my own dual-bearing live-centre to fit on it from a lump of brass (which came from a vibrator - that'll get 'em scratchin' their heads :; ). If it's possible to replace your entire tailstock spindle with this one, or attach a JT3 taper to the end of your existing spindle to accept the live-centre, I could easily be encouraged to part with them. :U

John G
26th August 2010, 12:02 PM
Thanks,
Not being a lathe expert, I don't totally understand what you have described.

You made a live centre out of brass, and it has a "JT3" taper on the end?
Can the taper come off, or is it all one piece?

When I look at various centres online, I can't tell whether the bearings are actually part of the taper, or if the taper can somehow unscrew from the bearing section.

If they can come apart, I can probably get my machinist mate to either mill a new taper, or even mill the taper down to the 1/2" diameter I need. But I have to be able to get the bearings off the taper first.

rsser
26th August 2010, 04:27 PM
If TTIT can't help, can I suggest that you try the dead centre and see how it goes?

My first lathe had one and a drop of oil of some kind in the junction with the wood worked fine. In fact, some turners say that bearings in a tail centre introduce unwanted vibration.

Durdge39
26th August 2010, 08:09 PM
Indeed, dead centres work fine, when I do ever turn something I just use the dead centre as is until I hear a squeak and then add a drop of mineral oil onto it. The oil soaks in a bit and the point of contact seems to cauterize into a thin, hard layer of wood that is smooth and stays self lubricating for at least half an hour. If the squeak develops again, just add another drop of oil.

QC Inspector
26th August 2010, 08:29 PM
LittleMachineShop.com - Live Center, Unimat 3 & 4, SIEG C0 Lathes (http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=2948&category=)

Should be possible to press a bushing on it to get it to the right diameter, but it won't work if it has to have a thread.

Pete

TTIT
26th August 2010, 11:39 PM
Thanks,
Not being a lathe expert, I don't totally understand what you have described.

You made a live centre out of brass, and it has a "JT3" taper on the end?
Can the taper come off, or is it all one piece?

When I look at various centres online, I can't tell whether the bearings are actually part of the taper, or if the taper can somehow unscrew from the bearing section.

If they can come apart, I can probably get my machinist mate to either mill a new taper, or even mill the taper down to the 1/2" diameter I need. But I have to be able to get the bearings off the taper first.Quick diagram to explain - top is an adaptor found on most pedestal drills - MT2 up the spindle of the drill and the JT3 into the chuck. My version below with the JT3 on the end of a 25mm screw thread and the live centre that's gathering dust in some dark corner of the shed.

Mobil Man
27th August 2010, 03:10 AM
You might check 'Grizzly.com' They carry lots of different adapters.