PDA

View Full Version : how to turn a djembe \drum

scott p
26th August 2010, 07:00 PM
Hi there , i am looking for any advice from you turners out there .
i have an old union graduate lathe which i mostly turn chair legs on, which i then steam bend, but I want to try and turn a large drum , called a Djembe about 15" max dia and 2 ft tall..
I have no idea how to hold it on the lathe when hollowing out the middle they usually have about 1 1/4" wall thickness when finished and as it is a pretty big piece of wood spinning around i thought i would ask advice before attempting this one .. ps money is a bit tight so home made holding jigs would be much more welcomed that an expensive shop brought one
thanks scott p..........

Manuka Jock
26th August 2010, 09:11 PM
Scott ,
are you doing this out of a solid log or a glue up of barrel staves ?

scott p
27th August 2010, 11:01 AM
Hi i am looking at turning from solid , as i have access to some larger diameter logs , and would like to have a go at some big stuff on my lathe..
scott p

Manuka Jock
27th August 2010, 11:36 AM
Have you got a large multi jaw chuck and center steady / steady rest ?

Ed Reiss
27th August 2010, 11:53 AM
Hi Scott,
At 15" diameter and 2 feet high, you are talking about some serious hollowing and tooling issues; all of which are exponentially higher than turning chair legs.
A heavy duty roller type steady rest will almost certainly be a requirement, along with a substantial faceplate, and really low speed operation.

Perhaps Rollo will chime in on this one as he makes a living doing big stuff and would be the person that can give you expert advice.

Good luck:2tsup:

RETIRED
27th August 2010, 10:51 PM
A question.

What sort of lathe do you have?

weisyboy
27th August 2010, 11:24 PM
djembe drums are not normally turned but chopped/chiseled out by hand.

robyn2839
28th August 2010, 08:51 AM
slightly off topic but have a look at this mob melbourne djembe - drums for sale (http://www.drumming.com.au/drums.php) they sell drums , skins etc quite a good site ,maybe able to advise you how to turn them ......bob

NeilS
30th August 2010, 11:25 AM
This is the best video I've found on turning djembes

<object style=" 344px; 425px;">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OgmWsGskKCU?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" height="344" width="425"></object>

scott p
8th September 2010, 06:18 PM
Hi to all and thanks for the replys ..
my computer has just been getting fixed .the only thing i own that i won't try and fix , so have been out of touch for a while ..

just wanted to add a few things and answer a few questions ...

yes i want to try and turn from solid..
i have an old union graduate lathe ...
i like the video and the steady he has made ..

i have made a smaller `( a lot smaller) version using laminated timber and old inline skate wheels , lots a bit naff but works brilliantly ..

i have a welder friend so i like the look of making one up ..

as i have said money is an issue so for the speed control instead of spending out on some flash device i have seen a few device,s , one where the motor is sat on a hinge-able plate with a length of rope is fixed to a foot plate that can be adjust the tension on the belt .. to let it slip .. sound dodgy but works great ... any other ideas !!

many thanks scott

NeilS
9th September 2010, 12:04 PM
yes i want to try and turn from solid..

If that becomes too much of a challenge, consider turning in sections that mate and glue together. The sound will be the same.

i have an old union graduate lathe ...

Lucky you!

....any other ideas !!

If you don't have any hollowing tools, Oland tools that you can make yourself would be an economical option. Do a search on Oland tools for info on how to make these.

Green wood may be easier to hollow, but needs careful management to avoid cracking and excess warping ( but less of a problem on end grain).

Otherwise, just give it a go.