PDA

View Full Version : My first bowl

Nai84
31st August 2010, 10:53 PM
Hi Everyone

I have just turned my first bowl out of a camphor blank that i got today. I am very happy with it i didnt go to deep coz of the big sap hole in it I didnt want it to fly apart on me so i played it safe, Now the only thing left to do is turn bottom of. I AM VERY PROUD OF MY FIRST BOWL:D:D:D

Nai84:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Manuka Jock
31st August 2010, 10:59 PM
Nice one Nai :2tsup:
the owner looks happy with it too mate :D

Nai84
31st August 2010, 11:04 PM
Thanks Manuka jock now to turn some more cant wait, Ha my beautiful cupcake i had to give her some eles so she would let go of it

Cheers Nai

Manuka Jock
31st August 2010, 11:08 PM
Thanks Manuka jock now to turn some more cant wait, Ha my beautiful cupcake i had to give her some eles so she would let go of it

Cheers Nai

:):U:D
well mate , looks like you will have to turn a breakfast bowl for Cupcake .
Sycamore is good

stuffy
31st August 2010, 11:11 PM
Nice job!
:2tsup:
Looks really smooth, how did you sand it?
Oh, and the most FAQ, what finish did you use?
:)

Nai84
31st August 2010, 11:25 PM
Thanks I just used 120g,180g,240g,360g and 400g sand paper it is very smooth but it could been smoother the finish i used is carnauba wax i think turned good for my first one :2tsup::2tsup:

Cheers Nai

orraloon
31st August 2010, 11:31 PM
Nai,
Pretty good first go. Looks like you have an eye for the features in the wood. I like that knot hole in the side. You are going to be one of those artistic turners aint ya. Quite right to be proud of it.
Regards
John

Nai84
31st August 2010, 11:43 PM
Thanks stuffy i will bring it down when we catch up sp you can have a closer look at it.:2tsup:

Manuka jock thats a great idea i think i might just do that :2tsup:

John thanks i do like that hole as well it adds character if i had the courage i would have made it thiner and we would of been able to see thought the bowl but I didnt what to risk it. I am proud of it :2tsup::2tsup:

Cheers Nai

cornucopia
1st September 2010, 04:38 AM
Thats a brillant first bowl - well done :2tsup:

Evan Pavlidis
1st September 2010, 05:34 AM
Good work Nai :2tsup:...you never forget the first one.
Welcome to the addiction and look forward to see more of your work. :)

Cheers, Evan

artme
1st September 2010, 07:13 AM
Great stuphph Nai!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

The first pic is unflatering but other pics show you have the shape right. Nice finish too!:)

Michael Spain
1st September 2010, 08:24 AM
Hi nai84, a greeting from the antipodes, Tenerife-Canary Islands, if with 26 years you already do a few so beautiful pieces, do I imagine what you will be capable of doing when you have mine, congratulations, your son (or daughter?) is it beautiful, a future woodturner? good luck, greetings.:groupwave:

brendan stemp
1st September 2010, 08:41 AM
A hellovalot better than my first bowl. But I still have it. Regardless of it being your first or 50th you've done a really good job.

HazzaB
1st September 2010, 10:18 AM
Hey Nai,

Well done,:2tsup:Great first effort, now that you have done one you will be trying to do lots more, You will now be looking at timber in a whole new way. I am going down south on Saturday, If you are free Thursday, drop over, I probably got a few bits of wood that could be made into something usefull.

HazzaB

bowl-basher
1st September 2010, 10:29 AM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
Top one....... you can't beat that Camphor for color and some nice knoty features love your finish
Keep em coming !!!!!!
Bowl Basher

Ed Reiss
1st September 2010, 11:08 AM
Pretty good first one Nai :2tsup::2tsup:

...did the little one leave any teeth marks :roll:

Nai84
1st September 2010, 09:38 PM
Hi Ed Reiss

Thanks I would of liked to go deeper but i was unsure if the knot in it would of caused a problem:?, what do think. The little one didnt leave any teeth marks but i have to con her to give it back she didnt want to let go.

Cheers Nai:2tsup::2tsup:

wheelinround
1st September 2010, 09:44 PM
Ian nice work love camphor to turn :2tsup:

stabilise the knot with some CA (super glue) do a search of the forum you'll see we also use epoxy the 5 min tube stuff is good :2tsup:

Nai84
1st September 2010, 10:36 PM
Ian nice work love camphor to turn :2tsup:

stabilise the knot with some CA (super glue) do a search of the forum you'll see we also use epoxy the 5 min tube stuff is good :2tsup:

Hi Wheelinround

Thanks, So how do i do that do istick it in the hole before i turn it deeper

Cheers Nai:2tsup:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
2nd September 2010, 01:05 AM
Nicely done! :2tsup:

While there's a lot to be said for elegantly thin-walled bowls, there's also a lot to be said for thicker, more robust ones. Especially when your QC is as... enthusiastic as yours appears to be! :D

In general, we use epoxy to fill any holes (often adding colour or something to texture it) and the CA to seal any cracks that we can't get epoxy into. The cracks "suck up" the superglue nicely.

Manuka Jock
2nd September 2010, 01:38 AM
Nai ,
I sometimes fill cracks , bark inclusions , cranky bits and small broken knots with crushed bark , and/or tea leaves , set in with CA glue .
Some folks use coffee grounds .
I turned a nest of bowls once that were from a back yard tree.
There was a nylon clothes line that had grown into the wood , running through all three bowls. I poked the rope bits out and filled the holes with well glued twig dowels from the tree .
The knots look like they grew there :2tsup:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
2nd September 2010, 02:33 AM
CA also works well for inlaying brass powder (a la TTiT) and other contrasting fills. (crushed rock, plastic, etc.)

Ed Reiss
2nd September 2010, 12:10 PM
Hi Ed Reiss

Thanks I would of liked to go deeper but i was unsure if the knot in it would of caused a problem:?, what do think. The little one didnt leave any teeth marks but i have to con her to give it back she didnt want to let go.

Cheers Nai:2tsup::2tsup:

Nai, I believe you'll find that as you get more experienced with bowl turning, going deeper and thinner will come naturally. Your off to a great start and it just gets better from here.
If there are any turning clubs out your way, join them...a lot of blokes anxious to help out newbies. Failing that, get as much reading material that you can get your hands on (that's how I learned 28 years ago...books and symposiums. At the time, there were no other turners in the Pensacola, Fl area).See if you can get your mitts on a couple of design books...they usually get into the meat and potatoes of making a turning beautiful.
'good luck, guy.:D

Nai84
2nd September 2010, 09:53 PM
Hi Guys

Thanks for the kind words on my bowl i cant wait to get my hands around my next blank for a bowl :D. I really thought i was gonna get hammered about my bowl but everyone has been so helpfull and so free with giving out info I dont know what eles to say BUT THANK YOU EVERYONE:2tsup::2tsup:and here are some pics of some boxes i made

Cheers Ian

P.S
THANK YOU EVERYONE

GC
2nd September 2010, 11:21 PM
great first effort...........now work on improving every bowl

GC

TTIT
3rd September 2010, 04:08 PM
Off to a great start Nai :2tsup:

The other blokes have already given you a lot of good advice but there one that's often missed....

Don't turn to fit the block of wood - it will just end up looking like a block of wood. Turn to the shape your heart desires - it might just end up somebody else's desire :;

........ and the extra curlies on the floor will make everyone think you are even more productive :U

Manuka Jock
3rd September 2010, 05:01 PM
Hi Guys

....and here are some pics of some boxes i made

Mate , you're away laughing now :2tsup:

How do you get on with spindle work ?

Nai84
3rd September 2010, 09:10 PM
Hi GC

Thanks i inteneto improve every time i switch on the lathe.:2tsup:

TTIT

Thanks for that info i think you are correct on that one .

Manuka jock

Thanks I like them too, I have attached some pics of spindle work from my old lathe i havent really done much on my new one :2tsup:

P.S
this only half of what i have done

Paul39
4th September 2010, 03:41 AM
Nai,

Nice work, I see that you are already addicted.

I presume you work, and the little one takes some attention. When do you sleep?

-------------------------------------

Manuka,

Quote:"There was a nylon clothes line that had grown into the wood , running through all three bowls. I poked the rope bits out and filled the holes with well glued twig dowels from the tree .
The knots look like they grew there."

Neat Idea, I sometimes use salvage timber with rusty nail holes. I can drill them out and glue in twigs. Thanks for the idea.

Sawdust Maker
4th September 2010, 09:02 AM
Not a bad effort for a first bowl :2tsup:

the spindle turning shows that you aren't the rank beginner
interesting pieces

if you don't drink coffee ask your local coffee shop to save you some grounds. make sure you fully dry them as I didn't and they went mouldy in the jar :doh:
a 50/50 mix with a two part epoxy seems to work well. I've also mixed in some brass filings which adds some interest. Ask the local hardware store if you can have the filings from their key cutter - give them a bowl in return :)

Nai84
4th September 2010, 12:33 PM
Hi Paul39

Thanks and i am addicted and cupcake is not my only little one i have 4 kids :doh: all beautifull rug rats. I sleep very well most of the time :2tsup:

Sawdust Maker

Thankyou for your kind words on my spindle work it mean heaps to me to hear someone says that. Thanks for info i can get heaps of key shavings as i work at bunnings so theres no shortage on supplie there

Thanks again guys :2tsup::2tsup:

Cheers Nai

Manuka Jock
4th September 2010, 04:41 PM
Manuka,

Quote:"There was a nylon clothes line that had grown into the wood , running through all three bowls. I poked the rope bits out and filled the holes with well glued twig dowels from the tree .
The knots look like they grew there."

Neat Idea, I sometimes use salvage timber with rusty nail holes. I can drill them out and glue in twigs. Thanks for the idea.

Paul ,
rather than drill out the holes , try just driving the twig in . The fiber tear and discolouration left by the nail will blend in with the endgrain bark of the twig , and produce a more 'natural' look than the round drill does .