PDA

View Full Version : JET Lathes; what do you reckon?

Boris L
1st September 2010, 08:42 PM
Any of you blokes know JET wood lathes?

Specifically; JET JML 1014I 10 Inch X 14 Inch Indexing Mini Lathe. I've got a metal lathe but fancy a small wood lathe for incidental work where a wood lathe would be more suitable. I don't intend to make really fancy stuff that requires fancy features.

Or should I be looking at another?

Cheers

Rookie
1st September 2010, 09:20 PM
I like mine. Jet 1236 I think is the model. It's not young anymore but still lines up well. Only had 1 new set of head stock bearings in probably 12 years.

Boris L
1st September 2010, 10:00 PM
Thanks Rookie, does that mean you're convinced they are well made?

Does anyone know if it has a bore through the spindle?

Can it take 3 or 4 jaw chucks for small items?

wheelinround
1st September 2010, 10:17 PM
I have an earlier version of the lathe a Variable speed a good lathe only problem I had was the switch, others have various line up troubles but that was the model before this one.
Jet Tools & Machinery Australia-Wood Lathes-Mini Lathes (http://www.jet-tools.com.au/Machinery/Lathes/JML-1014-JML-1014-VS.html)
all the specs you need.:2tsup:

Avery
1st September 2010, 10:22 PM
Nothing wrong with the Jet lathes. They are generally well made.

It has a 1" , 10tpi headstock spindle and you can get a variety of scroll chucks to fit.
Yes it does have a bore through the spindle.

Have a look at the Woodfast M301 as well. Quite similar, but it's worth having another option.

Woodfast Mini Lathe : CARBA-TEC (http://www.carbatec.com.au/woodfast-mini-lathe_c20064)

mkypenturner
1st September 2010, 10:39 PM
had my jet mini lathe now for about 8 years has never failed me yet ( touch wood ) and a well made unit

John Lucas
2nd September 2010, 08:19 AM
That version of the Jet mini is all over the place here in the US. Hundreds if not thousands of them. I hear very few complaints about them. I've owned 2. They are excellent as a start lathe. I highly recommend them to people. They work well, have good resale value and many people like them enough that they keep them even after stepping up to a bigger lathe.

artme
2nd September 2010, 08:35 AM
Yep, the jets are good, reliable machines.

Rifleman1776
2nd September 2010, 08:51 AM
The penturning forums are practically houses of worship for the Jet mini and midi lathes.
There are others but the Jet leads the pack in popularity. Delta has a new midi out that looks like it would be my choice in that size range.