PDA

View Full Version : help needed with clock

bowl-basher
4th September 2010, 10:59 AM
:C:C:C Hi all
I am in the process of making a large wall clock for my sister (440 x 440 )
it is a top piece of Desert Oak with all sorts of colour and grain even a bit ofspalting in the sap wood I intend to turn a recessed face and would like to use 10mm round plugs for the cardinal numbers (12,3,6,9 ) amd 6mm plugs for the other numbers rather than a set of plastic stick on numbers...The problem is I think that the plugs need to be a stark white timber to contrast with the face I think it will need somthing like Holly or Silver birch..... can any one help with some of these???? only need enough to make the plugs about 5-6mm long happy to pay any reasonable amount as SWMBO is on my back to finish this and so far I have marked it out and cut the blank to size look forward to your replys
Thanks
Bowl Basher

brendan stemp
4th September 2010, 01:31 PM
Brass rod would look really good with this timber. I have used it before in a similar situation. I have some claret ash which I could cut into rods for you, it's nice and white and the end grain would be stark.

wheelinround
4th September 2010, 02:45 PM
Jacarandah Graham nice and white if you don't have you know where to come :U

texx
4th September 2010, 03:38 PM
anyone got pecan trees near you or mulberry:2tsup:

artme
4th September 2010, 03:48 PM
Poplar,English willow, Holly, Australian White Beech.

bowl-basher
4th September 2010, 06:15 PM
Brass rod would look really good with this timber. I have used it before in a similar situation. I have some claret ash which I could cut into rods for you, it's nice and white and the end grain would be stark.
Thanks Brendan PM sent.......
I had considered brass and even Malachite but I want to keep it all timber
Claret ash was the one I was trying to remember:doh::doh:
Bowl-Basher

dai sensei
4th September 2010, 08:09 PM
I have heaps of Bonewood at the moment (see here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f14/can-anyone-identify-one-37104/) for a log). It's still green, but that small shouldn't take long to dry. You will have to seal it with CA once glued in or it will absorb the darker sawdust when sanding.

Let me know if your interested and what you want. You say 5-6mm long but what dia and end grain or face grain? I can post it Monday.

Alternatively you could use white resin pen blanks and shape to suit.

Cheers

robyn2839
4th September 2010, 09:22 PM
have some silver ash if you need some or jacaranda, your welcome to some.........bob

bowl-basher
5th September 2010, 11:22 AM
Thanks All
Brendan has come to the rescue with some claret ash that should do the job nicely
As usual this Forum and its members have shown their fabulous spirit of friendship and help for each other:hooray:
Thank you
Graham