PDA

View Full Version : A couple of things the lathe spat out

ozhunter
6th September 2010, 07:00 PM
Hello all

Seeing I blame the members of this forum every time SHMBO brings it up, and all the support and help I got from y'all when I first got the Woodfast, I thought I would share a couple of things I have turned recently. Haven't used it as much as I would like, but getting there.

This is a Baron made from a Wild Cherry tree (the only one) that has been dead on our farm for years and holds some sentimental value to Dad. A few months ago a branch fell off and I nabbed it without telling him and made this for his birthday.

http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu320/controlled_feed/wood%20stuff/pen004.jpg

This is turned from a hand split Red Box post that I rescued from the wood heap. Red Box used to be quite common in our area, but because of it's usefulness in fences and as fire wood (sob) there are very few live Red Box left and no dead stuff. This is a practice run to make a couple from some split Red Box pasts that have been put aside at home for a long time to make lamps from. Seems no-one would do it because they all said Red Box was too hard to turn and all the lathe would do was throw it at you. Never even looked like coming off when making it.

http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu320/controlled_feed/wood%20stuff/wood005.jpg http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu320/controlled_feed/wood%20stuff/wood008.jpg

Cheers and thanks for all the help and motivation. (The books and stuff are coming Jeff)

oz

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th September 2010, 08:19 PM
Love the lamp!

The contrast between the finished/rough timber really sets it off. :2tsup:

wood hacker
6th September 2010, 08:34 PM
:whs: Love the lamp and he pen is pretty good too, especially when combined with the sentimental value.

munruben
6th September 2010, 09:08 PM
Well done,love the lamp too.:2tsup::2tsup:

artme
6th September 2010, 09:53 PM
All good!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

ozhunter
6th September 2010, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the comments.

To sound very corny, the lamp was a labour of love. For a long time anyone that was asked to turn one was very negative, saying that the Red Box was too hard to handle etc. etc. but I am over the moon with the result.

Going to make another test sample before I wade into the proper posts that have been put away. I cobbled up the electrical bits and pieces from what I had on hand, but for the next one I am going to get a Bakelight switch and plug, and use the (new) old fashioned cloth covered cord that you can buy.

It will be slightly taller than this one, but not much. I like the proportions of this one.

oz

Rifleman1776
7th September 2010, 12:29 AM
Love the lamp. A simple idea made into art. By not over-finishing the turned wood you left it married with the unturned portion, I would say "just right".
I really like. :2tsup:

wheelinround
7th September 2010, 09:31 AM
Nice results if the lathe spat these out :2tsup::2tsup:

usually many of us would have a few more bits to show though lots of little broken bits:;

ozhunter
7th September 2010, 10:55 AM
wheelin

If you are refering to failures, there were a couple of failures at practicing bead rolling. But anything I have set out to make has come out good, so I don't practice on scrap anymore, I just decide to make something and it appears on the lathe.

This turned box appeared at 2am on Valentines Day. Decided I was going to make it for the boss and got 'r' done. I have spent a fair bit of time looking at DVD's and reading, but practice and I don't seem to get along, so I don't.

I just like making stuff on the Lathe, it's cool to see something like the lamp or this box or a nice pen come off at the end, when it was just another piece of wood at the start.

Cheers and thanks for the positive feedback.

oz

http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu320/controlled_feed/wood%20stuff/wood017.jpg

Ed Reiss
7th September 2010, 11:54 AM
Nicely done, useful items :2tsup:

Rum Pig
7th September 2010, 01:12 PM
As many have said love that lamp very nice:2tsup::2tsup:
And a neat little box well done:2tsup:

Just remember doing is practising so keep on doing:U

ozhunter
7th September 2010, 01:28 PM
Just remember doing is practising so keep on doing:U

Ha, I hadn't thought of it like that. Thanks Rum Pig.

If I could find enough posts I think the lamps would be quite a good seller, especially in the country.

Anyone know of a stash of hand split Red Box fence posts, come to think of it, Ironbark would look nearly as effective.

Cheers

oz

Boris L
7th September 2010, 02:42 PM
Yes, the lamp is very nice. You didn't do too much to it but just enough. Well done.

BTW ......SHMBO ~ She Hoow Must Be Obeyed! I always thought it was SWMBO

ozhunter
7th September 2010, 03:29 PM
You got me Boris :-

RETIRED
7th September 2010, 04:00 PM
SHMBO ~ She Hoow Must Be Obeyed! I always thought it was SWMBOIt is SWMBO. She Who Must Be Obeyed.

ozhunter
7th September 2010, 05:06 PM
iTs knot my fawlt i carnt spel

RETIRED
7th September 2010, 05:42 PM
Nup wasna haven a goo at yu Oz.:D

Farnk
7th September 2010, 05:57 PM
Good work mate, most things my lathe spits out at me impact the general chest area at approx 135 km/hr and tend to end up in the chiminea!

:D