PDA

View Full Version : the little so 'n' so ...

thumb trimmer
9th September 2010, 12:16 AM
... :angfire: ...

Was just turning my second goblet tonight ... although my first 'full size' goblet.
And then ... :censored2: ... :censored2: ... :censored2: ... (I hope no kiddies were listening)

you can see in the third photo where the tool caught ... and it's always when you are just fixing up that little bit ... :doh:

... anyhowz ...

I was thinking of one of two options;
1. glue, sand, finish ... and hope for the best, or
2. use a thinnish brass (or other metal) tube between the base and the bowl

Otherwise; apart from starting again, does anyone have any other ideas on how to 'resurrect' this one???

TT

RETIRED
9th September 2010, 08:16 AM
Trying to cut uphill will get you most times.:wink::D

oldiephred
9th September 2010, 09:09 AM
I try to use these "things" for recovery trials. I would try to chuck it inside, very carefully flatten the bottom and cut a small tenon or hole then make a new stem and base that could be blended in to the goblet base.
If it fails, OK it's no goog as is anyway.
By the way, very nice looking goblet.:2tsup:

jefferson
9th September 2010, 09:30 AM
Another skew mishap????? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

wheelinround
9th September 2010, 10:25 AM
TT pity it went

Nice goblet whats the wood??

I'd take off remains but leave a tenon off each make a new stem and attach

Ed Reiss
9th September 2010, 11:55 AM
Trying to cut uphill will get you most times.:wink::D

Keep it in a display case, just the way it is, as a reminder of what not to do :;

thumb trimmer
9th September 2010, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the comments so far.

jefferson ... unfortunantely or maybe fortunantely it wasn't a skew catch ... I had ground a fairly aggressive angle on the tool tip of my oland tool, approx 40degress(ish) so I could use it like a fingernailed spindle gouge to roll around the base of the bowl section.

Ray ... I'm not sure on what type of timber it is. Got the blank for nix from the fellow who sold me the drill press ... I thought it was myrtle ... but now I'm not so sure :shrug:.

oldiephred ... hmmmm ... cutting a tenon or hole and blend in a new piece ... the idea has merit ... I'll have to think about that one, as I' don't think that I'll be able to re-chuch the top section (the 'bowl' walls are pretty thin) ... unless anyone else can suggest 'how' this can be done.

Ed ... :roll: I guess there is always the display case option.

regards
TT

artme
9th September 2010, 12:26 PM
Bummer TT!!

I've never done that so I have no idea how you feel...... but that's only because I'v have yet to turn a goblet!:D:D:p

wheelinround
10th September 2010, 10:14 AM
T I' don't think that I'll be able to re-chuch the top section (the 'bowl' walls are pretty thin) ... unless anyone else can suggest 'how' this can be done.

regards
TT

Tim make a jam chuck to fit inside the mouth and tape it to it its only a light turn to remove.

tea lady
10th September 2010, 10:46 AM
jefferson ... unfortunantely or maybe fortunantely it wasn't a skew catch ... I had ground a fairly aggressive angle on the tool tip of my oland tool, approx 40degress(ish) so I could use it like a fingernailed spindle gouge to roll around the base of the bowl section.

regards
TTBut you still have to go DOWN the grain.:)

thumb trimmer
10th September 2010, 10:56 AM
Down the grain ??? :unsure:

... do you mean similar to what mentioned about cutting 'uphill' ???

TT

tea lady
10th September 2010, 11:05 AM
Down the grain ??? :unsure:

... do you mean similar to what mentioned about cutting 'uphill' ???

TTYep!:cool: Also when you are doing such thin bits you need to kinda support the stem between the "cutting sadge" and you fingers. Don't cut in the middle of the point cos the stem will try and climb the tool and break off. I think a scraper would have too much surface area touching! Do you have a normal spindle gouge? :)

thumb trimmer
10th September 2010, 11:17 AM
Thanks tea lady.
I do have a normal spindle gouge but; 1. I was hoping to complete this project with my oland tool only, and 2. I was also kinda being lazy and not changing the tool bit to a less aggressive grind. That's at least one lession learnt from this exercise.
I was just trying to 'touch up' the topof the stem for it's transition into the base of the bowl.

Last night I glued the peices back together, and (with a bit of luck) hope to sand the stem back into a reasonable shape ... also hopefully :fingerscrossed: sanding out the catch that caused the grief in the first place.

TT

Sawdust Maker
10th September 2010, 12:12 PM
You could make it look like this, ie stemless
If it's good enough for reidel then ...

thumb trimmer
10th September 2010, 10:38 PM
... after some glue last night ... and a tedious day at work waiting to get home ... I've finally finished the goblet.

hmmmmm ... now to do one that I can actually drink wine from ... :B

So, what d'you think?

TT

NB: the pine goblet in the background was my first attempt at a goblet. T'was supposed to have been bigger, but the bowl exploded in my face when I was 'just touching up the edge' ... you think I would have learnt from this one ... :~

powderpost
10th September 2010, 10:59 PM
Good recovery... well done. :2tsup:
Jim

wheelinround
11th September 2010, 09:55 AM
rippa Tim well done :2tsup:

Ed Reiss
11th September 2010, 11:13 AM
Superb repair Tim...going into the restoration business? :D

artme
11th September 2010, 08:04 PM
Top marks Tim!! Great recovery!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Allen Neighbors
12th September 2010, 11:04 AM
Great job!! Now. Why not drink wine out of that one? It'll stain it, but it'll still hold wine... :D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
12th September 2010, 08:07 PM
Nice rescue!

Although I'm not a fan of "repaired" goblet stems... the foot takes a lot of "lateral strain" when someone puts one down a bit heavily/awkwardly after imbibing a tad much. Which tends to mean even more repairs. :doh:

I much prefer to convert goblets with broken stems into miniature lidded bowls... with the ex-foot becoming the lid. (It's sad when you break enough of them that you can have a preference, is it not? :B )

Still, from what I can see you've done a nice job! Did you insert a dowel/metal rod for strength, or just go for a glue'bog'n'pray job?

thumb trimmer
12th September 2010, 10:27 PM
Skew ... Shhhh :shhh: .... t'was the latter