PDA

View Full Version : Nova dvr xp

Skip15
15th September 2010, 11:11 AM
Hi there,
I'm a novice turner looking to purchase first lathe for my home workshop. Would be interested in views on the NOVA - durability and reliability plus after sales service. I have used same in classes and like the feel of it and convenience of electronic speed control.
many thanks:)

hughie
15th September 2010, 01:14 PM
If the budget is ok its a good place to start, many start out with a Chinese knock off and then move onto such as a Nova etc

rsser
15th September 2010, 03:06 PM
EVS is available on a range of lathes.

The DVR XP has a suberb motor/driveline. Very powerful and smooth.

IME the machining and castings don't match that by some distance.

If you're wanting to do a lot of bowls and platters, the geometry of the swivel head/outrigger is limiting. And the lack of an available remote control and the absence of electronic braking make it a dangerous machine in my view for that application.

After sales service? Buy from a good retailer; don't expect much from the factory.

Anyway, welcome to the forum Skip.

robo hippy
15th September 2010, 04:07 PM
I have turned on one a few times, and think it is good, but it wouldn't be my lathe of choice. Mostly I turn bowls, from green wood, and the pieces are never balanced, except in rare instances of dumb luck. I use the full speed range of my lathe because every blank is different. The variable speed on the DVR can be set to 5 predetermined speeds, and you have very slow ramp up and down between those speeds. Too slow for me. I prefer the 3 phase motors with the electronic converters, and infinitely variable turn a knob type. Much more efficient. Another draw back for me is that the slowest speed used to be about 200 rpm. Since I turn green to final thickness, and then let them warp before sanding, when I remount to sand, that would be way too high of a speed. Outside of that, it is a nice lathe. I do prefer a sliding headstock to a pivoting one. If you core, the only coring system you can use if the headstock is pivoted would be the McNaughton. For me, that isn't a problem as that is the coring system I prefer. I would get the 2 hp model as well, for the added torque.

robo hippy

Kev Y.
15th September 2010, 04:21 PM
I have had a DVR for 10 years, and would not think of going back. I dont think you can beat the DVR for price and performance.

Before I purchased mine I investigated all of the available VS Lathes on the market at the time..

The current purchase price for a new DVR is about $600.00 less than I paid 10 years ago !

rsser
15th September 2010, 04:41 PM
Yeah, there's possibly a reason for the price drop.

At a guess yours Kev was made in NZ.

I bought mine at close to RRP of 3.5k and now Carba-tec have them for 2.9.

But that's just for the lathe with 50cm bed. Not stand, bed extension, outrigger etc. If you need those, the $$ add up and other options come into play. Like a Vicmarc 175.

Actually if coring is what you expect to do a lot of, the DVR XP has power to spare and would be a good option.

Manuka Jock
15th September 2010, 04:47 PM
The lowest speed for the DVR XP is 100 rpm. , forward and reverse .
It would be great if they could come down lower . Maybe its just a case of them making circuit boards to that effect.
If the older DVR was 200 , and the XP is 100 , who knows what the next generation Nova will run at .

ticklingmedusa
15th September 2010, 05:19 PM
Interesting discussion.
I agree with most comments already posted .
I like mine.
I find it easy to operate.
But that's just me.
I've been using it a lot for a few weeks
If it had the sliding headstock it would be on another level.
Hint Hint .
Technatool are you listening ?
Probably not.
I think some of the Laguna brand machines have that option.
The Company is close to where I live here but I read a thread
a long time ago about a customer service nightmare a user had.
For now a Nova will do.
There a lot of good lathes being made and sold
and it gives one pause to think.
I'm history, back to the shed.

I'm not sure but due to seismic activity & settling earth the crack in my slab is wider.
Where's the level ?

efgee88
15th September 2010, 11:04 PM
Hi Skip,
I started as a novice on a DVR XP a few years ago and still have it. It is a fantastic lathe and the biggest deal for me was that it gave me (and still does!) confidence to improve my skills. The variable speed is not the quickest to change I admit, but who's in a hurry when learning? The 5 programmable speeds are enough to give you your most commonly used speeds. What I find great though is the fact that the revs just don't slow down as you work your tool on the piece and it's always quiet. I have turned some big natural edged platters - no problem. I have turned some small stuff - no problem - steady as a rock. Head stock is dead easy to rotate and saves a dicky back on a lefty especially when hollowing. Ern's comment about the outrigger is true. I don't have one as I realised that if you want to hollow anything longer that 20cm mounted on a chuck you need more distance than the outrigger can offer. (I use a free standing support - works for me). I have never used it to turn anything as slow as 100 rpm or as fast as 3500rpm or whatever the max speed is (haven't needed to go over 2800rpm). I use reverse quite a bit for sanding.
All the programmable stuff about torque etc you can just forget about - can't see any reason to change it from the defaults.
Anyway, that's my experience with the beast over the last couple of years and I should qualify that mine is a NZ made unit and to be honest the castings on the more recent ones look rougher to me but whether that makes a difference . . . .?

What's important for me looking back? Variable speed, rotating headstock, quiet and smooth running motor, solid construction.
Other lathes I looked at - VicMark VL175 and Stubby (prototype with the rotating head) but both cost more.

Hope this rambling helps,

Cheers,

FrankG

Skip15
16th September 2010, 01:57 PM
Thanks heaps everyone for your thoughts, advice and other offerings, much appreciated. Lots of things you discussed I've not yet had a go at, but it gives me confidence I'm on the right track with lathe choice.
regards
Skip

Sawdust Maker
16th September 2010, 08:58 PM
I like mine
but expect to really put it through it's paces in about 7 weeks :D and on into the future :U:U