PDA

View Full Version : Burnt marks removal

brendan stemp
16th September 2010, 02:25 PM
Does anyone know of a recipe to get burn marks out of timber. I have some rock maple that got burnt on a heating element and I thought I had enough excess diameter to get rid of them. But, alas, no luck. I can't go any smaller in the diameter so I can't cut or sand it out. I am keen to invest some time into it because this piece of wood has already had 2 hours of work put into it.

Manuka Jock
16th September 2010, 03:10 PM
Yep . Sandpaper . :U

Its' not a stain , its' charred wood , so I doubt very much if it can be bleached out in any way

brendan stemp
16th September 2010, 04:35 PM
Yep . Sandpaper . :U

Sanding reduces diameter. I have no diameter left to play with.:(

RETIRED
16th September 2010, 06:35 PM
Unfortunately Brendan you can't remove charring without removing timber.

Can you char the whole thing?

HarryD
16th September 2010, 08:18 PM
Hi Brendan,
Livos White Oil or liming treatmet if this is appropiate may help. Livos does tend to yellow a bit with age & exposure to sunlight though.West resin with soft infil powder will also give a white finish which may then be able to sanded
regards
Harry D

Sawdust Maker
16th September 2010, 08:52 PM
bugger
sorry
I think you are stuck with sandpaper or start again

Jim Carroll
16th September 2010, 09:02 PM
Brendan cant you take a hint,

When Penny says it is no good and throws it into the fire leave it there :D

brendan stemp
16th September 2010, 09:41 PM
Unfortunately Brendan you can't remove charring without removing timber.

Can you char the whole thing?

It's the centre joint of a recorder, so, no I can't do much except start again. I have a drying cupboard which is a converted fridge. The heating element is down the bottom and this particular piece of wood was found sitting on the element. I suppose I should be grateful it didn't catch on fire and burn the whole shed down. I had allowed about 5mm excess so I thought the burn marks wouldn't be as deep as they ended up being. Damn..... or words to that effect.

Thanks for all your input, including yours Jim. :) Yeah, Penny is a powerful woman and a lot of my work has already been sacrificed for warmth in our household.

mkypenturner
16th September 2010, 09:45 PM
what about texturing it as a feature :! hey it might work if not its in the heater for it lucky i dont have that trouble up here in nth qld

Manuka Jock
16th September 2010, 09:53 PM
Brendan ,
trying to get the burn out, including the worry and net searching , might take longer than the two hours that it will take to turn another piece.
Hang on to it , you might end up with enough 'reject' parts to build a whole recorder :D

RETIRED
16th September 2010, 10:17 PM
It's the centre joint of a recorder, so, no I can't do much except start again. I have a drying cupboard which is a converted fridge. The heating element is down the bottom and this particular piece of wood was found sitting on the element. I suppose I should be grateful it didn't catch on fire and burn the whole shed down. I had allowed about 5mm excess so I thought the burn marks wouldn't be as deep as they ended up being. Damn..... or words to that effect.

Thanks for all your input, including yours Jim. :) Yeah, Penny is a powerful woman and a lot of my work has already been sacrificed for warmth in our household.Bummer. Soooooooooooooo, will you be putting a shield over the element? :rolleyes::D

Manuka Jock
16th September 2010, 10:33 PM
Bummer. Soooooooooooooo, will you be putting a shield over the element? :rolleyes::D
and a rack above the shield and a smoke alarm above the drying cupboard :2tsup:

RETIRED
17th September 2010, 08:10 AM
and a rack above the shield and a smoke alarm above the drying cupboard :2tsup:Fire extinguisher and Fire Brigade on standby as well, just to make sure.:wink::D

brendan stemp
17th September 2010, 09:20 AM
In the words of Mrs Kerrigan (from the film 'The Castle') "yeah, yeah yeah":U