PDA

View Full Version : WA Goldfields burls

Willy Nelson
17th September 2010, 12:07 AM
Good Evening All
I have been flat out turning, but not many photos, till now. You may remember sometime ago, I scored a good ute load (over 100) of WA Goldfields burl? Well I have been busy blasting the bark off with a high pressure water blaster.

I have tuned 25 of them in the last couple of weeks, here are some, all finished in Danish oil

The timbers (the brown ones ) York Gum Burl (could also be Concinna).
Burl 5 is Griffiths grey gum (the butterfly
Burl 7 is Salmon Gum (heavy gum veins)
Regards
Willy Jarrahland (and now Goldfields burl land)

HazzaB
17th September 2010, 12:38 AM
Hey Willy,

Awesome collection:2tsup::2tsup:, are you going for some sort of Record???,
If you end up some little daggy bits that aren't big enough for a bowl, I could help you get rid of them, I know that you live south of perth, and I could be at your house in 25 mins from Here:rolleyes:, you probably do pens anyway:wink:

Still really nice work, i have to try one of those one day.

HazzaB

Willy Nelson
17th September 2010, 02:14 AM
Hello Hazza
Yeah, I also do pens, although I am not missing them at the moment.
No records, just a little bit of pressure to get stuff done so I can stop tripping over them, moving them to get to something, then shuffling them back. I gotta get a bigger shed!!!
And yes, I am in PK

Evan Pavlidis
17th September 2010, 02:46 AM
Nice work there Willy :2tsup:...those burls will keep you busy and the end result is worth all the effort. BTW, what type of high water pressure machine do you use to wash the burls (remove the bark)?

Cheers, Evan :)

minus459
17th September 2010, 03:55 AM
That is beautiful timber and equally beautiful turning, I'm bloody jealous. .:2tsup::2tsup::C

bench1holio
17th September 2010, 06:48 AM
beautiful stuff willy:2tsup: love the grey gum butterfly,well done!

Ed Reiss
17th September 2010, 11:36 AM
Wow...pretty stuff Willy. Imagine that a lot of sanding time was involved, but definetly worth the effort :2tsup:

dai sensei
17th September 2010, 12:11 PM
Great looking collection there Willy :cool:

Did you use a bowl saver for the centres, I'm sure Hazza would take them too :U:U

Rum Pig
17th September 2010, 12:32 PM
Wow there are some nice bowls there:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

I wish i had your problem having to many burls:doh:

Sawdust Maker
17th September 2010, 02:03 PM
Nice work

I wouldn't say no to a trailer load of burl :doh:

artme
17th September 2010, 07:04 PM
You've won me Willy!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Beautiful Burls and great work!!

Willy Nelson
17th September 2010, 08:09 PM
Afternoon All
To answer some questions

1.The water pressure blaster is borrowed from a friend. It is a 2200 psi, 6.5 HP petrol driven blaster. It may take 5 minutes for some burls, 20 for others and some are just too hard, depending on the timber type. I have just returned home from purchasing my own blaster for $300. Brand new still in the box, 2500 psi, 6.5 HP petrol driven. These normally sell for $650 in shops, this guy bought it, but too noisy for his neighbourhood. Electric blasters do not have the power, must be at least 2000 psi I reckon.

2. Sanding. No, the sanding was done very quickly using a drill and a home made sanding pad made from a bolt, a wood disk, some high density foam and some velcro. Some sanding was done without the lathe turned on (the extremities of the wings), but most done through the grits to 600.

3. Bowl saver. Don't have a bowl saver, but in my limited experience, the bowl savers are generally very good at removing the core when green and on softer timbers. These burls are desert timbers, bone dry, dense and as hard as the hobs of hell (so to speak).

4. Yes they are keeping me very busy,

Cheers
Willy

Chief Tiff
17th September 2010, 10:04 PM
Some very nice work there; why did I leave WA :??

I love the round york gum bowl, SWMBO was quite taken by the salmon gum. I'll PM my new address so you know where to send them...:rolleyes:

Nai84
17th September 2010, 10:22 PM
Hi Willy

WOW they are really amazing peices FANTASTIC work:2tsup:, I really love the last one it has heaps of character to it love it :D

Cheers Nai84

turnerted
19th September 2010, 06:20 PM
Willy
Some very nice bowls , but I think you should consider investing in a bowlsaver as you are throwing away a lot of valuable timber.I have cored red mallee,brown mallee, coolibah ,red gum and some very old yellow box . It may take 20-30minutes to core out a large bowl but it would probably take you this long to remove the same amount of wood with your bowl gouge anyway .I use a woodcut bowlsaver and have found it's important to use a big tennon . I usually make mine about 90mm , often glued on, and mount on a vicmarc 120 chuck with larger than standard jaws . The tennon can allways be reduced latter if required .
Ted

hughie
21st September 2010, 10:50 AM
Some very nice bowls , but I think you should consider investing in a bowlsaver as you are throwing away a lot of valuable timber.I have cored red mallee,brown mallee, coolibah ,red gum and some very old yellow box . It may take 20-30minutes to core out a large bowl but it would probably take you this long to remove the same amount of wood with your bowl gouge anyway .I use a woodcut bowlsaver and have found it's important to use a big tennon . I usually make mine about 90mm , often glued on, and mount on a vicmarc 120 chuck with larger than standard jaws . The tennon can allways be reduced latter if required .

I go along with Ted, slow but worth it and definitely a chunky tenon. I tend to glue mine on with PVA.

Willy Nelson
21st September 2010, 08:48 PM
Willy
Ted
Hello Ted
Sound advice, as you are right, I am reducing the bulk of stunning timber to sawdust. However, I have used a bowl saver and it got quite hot attempting to cut dry camphor, I can't imagine how hot it would get with these dense timbers. I shall borrow one and see how I go.
Unfortunately these burls were also cut quite shallow and I don't know if I can get a decent core.
Anyway, will look into this
Cheers
Willy

turnerted
23rd September 2010, 05:55 PM
Willy
I suspect the bowlsaver you were using must have been pretty blunt . It should eat camphor , even so the cutter will get pretty hot in use . Today I cored out a redgum burl to give me an inner bowl of about 250 mm in about 10 minutes . Not too much you can do if the burls are too thin . That's why I usually glue a tennon on to get the maximum depth .

Ted

benupton
24th September 2010, 08:25 PM
They all look very nice, especially the first one:2tsup::2tsup:. What would a bowl like this sell for out of interest.

Willy Nelson
26th September 2010, 11:07 AM
Willy
I suspect the bowlsaver you were using must have been pretty blunt . It should eat camphor , even so the cutter will get pretty hot in use . Today I cored out a redgum burl to give me an inner bowl of about 250 mm in about 10 minutes . Not too much you can do if the burls are too thin . That's why I usually glue a tennon on to get the maximum depth .

Ted
Okay sound advice, and everyone is of the opinion that I should have a bowlsaver.

Know of anyone selling a bowlsaver in the Perth area?

Tim the Timber Turner
26th September 2010, 12:39 PM
These burls are desert timbers, bone dry, dense and as hard as the hobs of hell [/COLOR](so to speak).

Willy you won't get much joy with a bowlsaver on this sort of material.:no:

It will be hard work, shake the crap out of your gear, make lots of noise and not be alot of fun.

I'm not saying it won't work, just beware.

I've bent a bowlsaver trying to cut dry burl.:oo:

Now green burls are great fun to use a bowlsaver on.:2tsup:

Cheers

Tim:)