PDA

View Full Version : Resisting the urge to vandalise

Woodwould
17th September 2010, 07:39 PM
Mrs. Wood drove me to a medical appointment today at 11 a.m. I have a disability parking permit clearly displayed in the near side corner of the windscreen. We normally park in a certain disabled spot (six dedicated bays) close to the entrance we access. There was one space vacant as we drove in, but an elderly man in a Nissan of some sort nipped into the space in front of us.

Not able to see a parking permit in his windscreen, I asked the man if he was aware he had parked in a disabled parking bay.
He said "Yes!"
I pointed out that he wasn't displaying a permit.
He looked at our windscreen as if to say 'Who made you the disabled parking Nazi?'
He clearly saw my permit, but just laughed and said "It's in my wife's handbag!" and walked off.

I wanted to let his tyres down and drag a shopping trolley up and down the length of his car a few times, but Mrs. Wood, although, herself, seething wouldn't let me out of the car. We drove around and found a vacant disabled parking bay about as far away from my appointment as was geographically possible.

By the time Mrs. Wood had shoved my wheelchair and my not insignificant bulk around the place a couple of times, she was fit to do wanton vandalism to the man's car herself. Unfortunately the man had already left – we checked!

ozhunter
17th September 2010, 07:54 PM
My mother is in a wheel chair, and this gets me goign quicker than most things. Doesn't matter whether I am with her or not, seeing people parked in the disabled parking is down inconsiderate, rude and ignorant.

They should have their cars impounded and made to pay a $10,000 fine and have a huge balze orange sign painted on their car that says "I am an ignorant, inconsiderate and rude disabled parking zone offender, please feel free to yell abuse at me"

oz

Christos
17th September 2010, 08:37 PM
It is good that you were able to vent this on the forum then venting this on the fellows car. Very good control.

Master Splinter
17th September 2010, 08:39 PM
A friend of mine was sick of a particular car always parking in the motorbike parking only zone at his work, and taking up four bike spaces. His solution was an A4 note telling the owner that his vehicle was a car, not a motorbike. This was placed under the windscreen wiper blade.

The next day, seeing that the owner took no notice, the note was printed off and again placed on the windscreen - but this time a whole tube of 5 Minute Araldite was used to glue it in front of the drivers eyeline.

It didn't get parked there again.

You can get self adhesive laserprinter compatible sheets, these days, so you don't need to muck around with Araldite.

BobL
17th September 2010, 09:15 PM
I know it's only a pittance compare to what some folk pay for parking but I pay $600+ a year for a specifically marked parking spot at work. Every now and then someone parks in my spot so I park in front of them so they cannot move their car. I leave a note under their windscreen wipers letting them know I may walk home that evening and not move my car for a couple days. They never park there again - unfortunately there is occasionally always someone else willing to try and park there. I'm lucky that if I park in front of them I don't block anyone else.

Dave50
17th September 2010, 11:00 PM
I have a handicapped son, (cerebral palsy) I have not got a handicapped parking tag even though I am entitled to it, I prefer to let the more, shall we say "disabled" use the spots, my son walks reasonably well, with help and understanding and patience, the ignorant people who park in these spots get up my goat faster than most things, to see a fit able bodied person take up a spot simply because of sheer laziness is incredible, but then ignorance abounds in this day and age!

TP1
17th September 2010, 11:05 PM
I can't get over the nerve of the bloke. I've seen people parking opportunistically in disabled bays when no one else was around ( which is bad enough) but this a**hole was way worse in that he saw someone in genuine need and acted illegally for his own selfish ends.

Didn't get a license number per chance?

Blue-deviled
17th September 2010, 11:16 PM
Don't withold the urge. I've always assumed that if they aren't dispaying the permit, it means that they're expecting their car to be disabled for them.

My last encounter was a few weeks back, and the woman was most affronted when I enquired after her mental disability.

Woodwould
17th September 2010, 11:52 PM
I can't get over the nerve of the bloke. I've seen people parking opportunistically in disabled bays when no one else was around ( which is bad enough) but this a**hole was way worse in that he saw someone in genuine need and acted illegally for his own selfish ends.

Didn't get a license number per chance?

I included the man's rego in my initial post, but it appears to have evaporated!

Mrs. Wood went to centre management, who in turn sent her to the local council offices. They said they couldn't raise a parking officer, but would leave a message for one of them. Had an officer been available, he could have slapped the jerk with an on-the-spot-fine of $117 (or is it $119?).

Woodwould
17th September 2010, 11:54 PM
Don't withold the urge. I've always assumed that if they aren't dispaying the permit, it means that they're expecting their car to be disabled for them.

My last encounter was a few weeks back, and the woman was most affronted when I enquired after her mental disability.

In the past, I've ducked into a supermarket, grabbed a bag of spuds and rammed one up the offender's exhaust. That can cause a degree of inconvenience.

opelblues
17th September 2010, 11:55 PM
Try to get an extra length transit van in to a car spot because some aole has parked in the loading Zone, i have 6" of stainless plates in my back and have a special parking permit that i don’t use, for after the opt on my back i was able to walk, and very well.

my payback is a gum glue flier that sticks to the windscreen, (fliers on the windscreen are not against the law in QLD) it reads " Thank You for not caring about anybody but yourself, please report this to the police and explain were you were parked - have a nice day - photos have been taken an will be uploaded to " people who park in disabled zones" Facebook
You're not disabled, so don't park in a disabled space you lazy BASTARD

Woodwould
18th September 2010, 12:03 AM
my payback is a gum glue flier that sticks to the windscreen, (fliers on the windscreen are not against the law in QLD) it reads " Thank You for not caring about anybody but yourself, please report this to the police and explain were you were parked - have a nice day - photos have been taken an will be uploaded to " people who park in disabled zones" Facebook
You're not disabled, so don't park in a disabled space you lazy BASTARD
Subtle. I like it.

Ironwood
18th September 2010, 08:14 AM
There is one "Old Girl" where I live that walks the 1.5 km to the shop every morning to get the paper.
But when she comes back later in her car to do her grocery shopping she always parks in the disabled spot, she has a disabled label on her windscreen, but she obviously has no trouble getting around. ( I notice this because the disabled parking is directly out the front of my shop, I reckon it is used legitimately around half of the time)
I just wonder if some Doctors hand out the labels a bit too freely sometimes?

TP1
18th September 2010, 11:37 AM
I just wonder if some Doctors hand out the labels a bit too freely sometimes?

Perhaps the sticker is for someone else in the family and she takes advantage of it?

Ironwood
18th September 2010, 03:38 PM
Perhaps the sticker is for someone else in the family and she takes advantage of it?

The Lady in question lives alone since her husband died, about 2 years ago.
Maybe it was his sticker, and she hasn't got around to taking it off yet :rolleyes:

hughie
17th October 2011, 10:56 AM
I have to admit as a highly able bodied person I feel the anger rising at this sort of occurance and also have to resist the temptation to vandalism

Woodwould
17th October 2011, 11:19 AM
This is a nice frustrating (for the driver), but non-injurious method of payback.

nihilism
17th October 2011, 08:45 PM
I'm with Bob L on the park behind them and block them in approch if it's possible.

wheelinround
17th October 2011, 09:39 PM
This is a nice frustrating (for the driver), but non-injurious method of payback.

:2tsup:

Dingo showed me a new sign

Ian Wells
17th October 2011, 10:05 PM
A mix of stand oil, damar varnish, vegetable oil and carborundum grit makes a fine adhesive for notices on windscreens:devilred:

Avery
17th October 2011, 10:19 PM
:2tsup:

Dingo showed me a new sign

That is just so 'king good!

BobL
17th October 2011, 11:08 PM
The gladwrap might have a more cryptic effect wrapped around the exhaust along with a note that says something like.

Next time you smell burning plastic remember when you parked in a disabled bay with a disabled sticker.

KBs PensNmore
19th October 2011, 06:52 PM
Personaly I like the potato shoved up the exhaust pipe, but to make it more effective push it up with a walking stick AND clean up any potato left around the outside. Its funnier than watching people backing a trailer at the tip, trying to work out what's wrong.:doh:
Kryn and YES I do have permit.

vk4
21st October 2011, 10:49 PM
My wife has a disability Sticker, and unless she is having a bad ( degenerative back condition & artificial Knee), we do not use the disable parks,.

Yes it really URKS us when we see able bodied people use them.

Don't do anything that will harm them or their cars, but by all means notices on the windscreen are good , especially if printed on both sides , so that passers by , can see what a dropkick the owner of the vehicle is.

DavidG
21st October 2011, 11:11 PM
I find tradies are the worst. Been abused by them. :~

I use a disabled spot on bad days but not when the metal knee is behaving itself.
And I have a permit.

Woodwould
21st October 2011, 11:12 PM
I saw a funny incident the other day where someone had stuck a big piece of white Contact (sticky-backed plastic) over the driver's side of the windscreen and written on it with a felt pen...

"I'M AN AR5EH0LE!
I PARK IN DISABLED PARKING BAYS!"

I would loved to have hung around to see how long it took to get it all off.

Woodwould
22nd October 2011, 08:06 AM
Not just one space, but two!

http://aussiemuscle.totalnfs.net/carspix/disabled_trailer.jpg

rustynail
22nd October 2011, 03:21 PM
An old mate, minus both legs above the knee, was sitting in the passenger seat awaiting his wife's return. A Ford Bronco pulled into the disabled spot next to him, driven by a very attractive blonde of about twenty something. Morrie was furious and was just about to give "dolly" a peice of his mind, when the door swung open and the unfortunate lass swung round and proceeded to fit her artificial leg.
They became close friends and I had the pleasure of meeting her at Morrie's funeral some years later.
On the flip side, my 23 year old daughter has not spoken to her grandmother (my mother in law) since the latter parked in a disabled space. My daughter pointed out to Gran that it was disabled and she responded with, "But its closer dear." Interestingly, the same woman attends arobic classes and walks every morning. There is nothing wrong with her, except her attitude.

Robomanic
22nd October 2011, 04:34 PM
This is also a pet hate of mine. Just make sure they are not collecting someone from inside the shops before you disable their car...

Woodwould
22nd October 2011, 05:05 PM
This is also a pet hate of mine. Just make sure they are not collecting someone from inside the shops before you disable their car...
If a disabled permit is displayed in the windscreen, then yes, caution should be exercised in the event the driver is collecting a disabled person, but if no permit is visible, then they're breaking the law and deserve whatever might befall them.

wheelinround
23rd October 2011, 08:41 AM
Disabled people unite!!! lets all become Clampers like in the UK.

Those who don't have a permit get clamped and to have it removed two things happen they do 3 months driving disabled people around to learn why the parking bay is for disabled only and $1000.00 to remove the clamp.

The funds are none taxable and go into a fund managed for larger sheds for disabled and more tools.

AlexS
1st November 2011, 01:08 PM
The funds are none taxable and go into a fund managed for larger sheds for disabled and more tools.

:hpydans2:

Wongo
1st November 2011, 01:24 PM
I would bring back the death penalty. You misuse the disabled parking zone, you die. Can’t get any fairer than that. :D :D

Seriously I hate inconsiderate people.

wheelinround
1st November 2011, 01:26 PM
I would bring back the death penalty. You misuse the disabled parking zone, you die. Can’t get any fairer than that. :D :D

Seriously I hate inconsiderate people.

Say's he who is about to get closer parking due to a new arrival and use of a pram :; they don't have passes.

Had to laugh when a I saw a woman pull out a stroller for a 5/6 yr old even the kid looked disgusted having to sit in it.

Wongo
1st November 2011, 02:14 PM
Don't worry Wheelie, there are parking spots for cars with pram so your safe.

Ozkaban
1st November 2011, 03:38 PM
I always thought that leaving a nice polite note on their windscreen apologising for scratching their car as you squeezed past in your wheelchair would be ok.

Especially if it's a nice shiny car and especially if you didn't touch it.

It'd drive them nuts looking for a non-existent scratch :D

Cheers,
Davr

Woodwould
1st November 2011, 04:15 PM
I heard of a disabled woman who carries a bottle of Charlie Carp in her boot and when she encounters a car without a permit, parked in a disabled space, she pours a good dose of CC down the fresh air intake in front of the windscreen.

gusinshop
11th February 2012, 03:43 PM
you know people are generally only interested in their ownselves! and many mental disabilities are not visible. perhaps medico's should be trained{?} to remove handicap status. or police,or auto registration. the placardf is too easilly obtained and the limits are not enforced. store employees have no concern for patrons though they say" the customer is our number 1 concern" PHOOOOOEY!there should be an authorized placard to put on inconsiderate @#$%^&*)(! DISABLED could pass out without worry.I earned mine taking care of these sob's

Allan at Wallan
8th April 2012, 09:47 PM
Not really a handicapped type of story but worth telling.

When I was working we had limited parking for about six cars
at the rear of our office. One particular woman shopper frequently
parked her car there whilst she shopped at the Preston Market
as she obviously did not want her car damaged there.

She arrived back to her car, with a butcher carrying a carton of
meat she had purchased, only to find I had parked my official
vehicle directly behind her on purpose. She came into the office
and asked for the manager to get my car moved. I was the manager
and had great delight in watching her squirm for the next hour
as I got my staff to tell her I had gone out to lunch somewhere.
I was in my office upstairs watching her and wondering if the
meat was going to be ok when she got home.

She never did it again.:2tsup:

Allan

jrock2511
9th April 2012, 03:20 PM
I'm with you all. I'm sick of inconsiderates. Our "fast food" "me me me" society seems to be breeding them.

Here's another non disabled tale but funny all the same. A few years ago people used to try to park on the cheap by parking behind the perth fire station. Unfortunately for one fella, he parked his car in a training area where the firies cut up cars. Apparently he looked a little squeemish as he packed his removed door into the back of his car before driving off. He's lucky the firies noticed that it wasn't actually a training car before ripping the whole side open and taking off the roof.

wheelinround
9th April 2012, 04:56 PM
Recently on a number of occassions at Bunnings stores I have seen their BBQ troops on weekends utilising the Disabled Parking zones. We have 4 stores around us and each one has it happen. If not that they ark their vehicles there.

Sad to say one of these groups is a woodturners group which does BBQ's at 2 of those stores.:C