PDA

View Full Version : symtec tool rest banjo

toolman666
17th September 2010, 08:45 PM
Hi guys im new here. my name is Tim and i own a symtec lathe :B i have had it for like 8 years and used it like 4 times, so it has been siting around for awhile, the reason why i got it was my son and i went to the Adelaide wood working show and saw it being demoed i have all ways wanted to get a lathe this had all the things i wanted the copy system the spiral cutting and so on, i thought bute lets buy one but without knowing to much about wood turning done a little at high school but that's all, now i can see it is a bit limited in wot it can do so im looking for a banjo which holds the tool-rest the banjo sits on the lathe bed, so can any nice guys help:fingerscrossed:
Thanks Tim

wood hacker
17th September 2010, 08:56 PM
Sorry can't help Tim but just wanted to say welcome to our little corner of the asylum :U

China
17th September 2010, 11:11 PM
Symtec lathes have not ben made for many years, I think you will need to make (or have made) something to do the job, there are a few people who have persisted with the Symtec so you may be lucky and find some one who will let you copy fom the original.

Swino
18th September 2010, 04:06 AM
I had a Symtec for the first couple years of turning - recently sold it. I got a few old woodfast banjo's (old type that you have to do up with a spanner) and found a bolt that would fit nicely into the gap of the lathe. If you would like to look at doing this PM me - I think I might still have a couple of spare bolts lying around save you searching.

NeilS
18th September 2010, 03:13 PM
Welcome to the forum, Tim.

They had one at the local Men's Shed and I found that I had to drill some extra holes in the 'bed' to get more flexibility in the position of the toolrest up and around the headstock.

toolman666
18th September 2010, 03:42 PM
Thanks guys i have been thinking of making my own up as china suggested but might have a look at swinos first

cheers guys Tim

toolman666
18th September 2010, 03:45 PM
Hi Neils can you send some pic if you can just want see what you mean by drilling holes

Cheers Tim

toolbagsPLUS
18th September 2010, 07:49 PM
Thanks guys i have been thinking of making my own up as china suggested but might have a look at swinos first

cheers guys Tim

I'm the one that bought Swino's Symtec, It's getting a workout too.
But I'm not sure which bit you are after? If i know i'll send you a photo of it.

Cheers

Steve

toolbagsPLUS
18th September 2010, 07:50 PM
I had a Symtec for the first couple years of turning - recently sold it. I got a few old woodfast banjo's (old type that you have to do up with a spanner) and found a bolt that would fit nicely into the gap of the lathe. If you would like to look at doing this PM me - I think I might still have a couple of spare bolts lying around save you searching.

Still got your tie downs as well but have not been north since SORRY, Think i picked up a measuring tape as well.

Cheers

Steve

NeilS
19th September 2010, 12:33 PM
Hi Neils can you send some pic if you can just want see what you mean by drilling holes

Cheers Tim

Sorry Tim, the Symtec was moved on some time ago so can't help with pics.

What I found was that the banjo was obstructed by the extra bits and pieces attached to the head and tail stocks for copy turning. The problem was most frustrating when working on short length spindle blanks. Rather than removing those bits and pieces (thought they might get lost or others wouldn't know how they went back together if anyone ever wanted to use the copy setup) I worked out the positions where I wanted the banjo to be and drilled some holes accordingly.

Just check before you drill that you can get access to the underside in those locations so that you can hold the bolt head while tightening. If I remember there are webs and cabinet walls in some of the preferred locations.

Of course you may not find the available banjo positions a problem.

wheelinround
19th September 2010, 12:49 PM
Tim there is a Symtec Group still around I'll ask Rob if I can pass on his email address so you can contact him. There is material available off this forum regarding Symtec's do a search and see what you find..

Ray

toolman666
19th September 2010, 07:04 PM
Hi Ray, do you mean Rob Wood, if so i have contacted him through carols woodworking supplies, but yea why not the more the merrier.

Cheers Tim

wheelinround
19th September 2010, 08:52 PM
Hi Ray, do you mean Rob Wood, if so i have contacted him through carols woodworking supplies, but yea why not the more the merrier.

Cheers Tim

He's the one just got an email from him after sending a link to this thread said he already has you in his sights.:U