PDA

View Full Version : expanding wood glue

nadroj
21st October 2004, 04:54 PM
Whilst in the UK recently, I was using a type of adhesive that was a boon to wood-butchers like me.
It expanded when in contact with moisture (e.g. from the timber), as well as being a good bonding agent - great for getting nice firm joints.
Now back in Sydney, no one in the shops seems to have heard of it.
Anyone know if it's available here in Oz?
No, I can't remember what it was called!

Sprog
21st October 2004, 05:26 PM
That would be a Polyurethane Glue, hardens on contact with moisture.

While not a Polyurethane Glue, Titebond II is an excellent glue, available from Carbatec, to name but one place.

barryr
21st October 2004, 08:50 PM
someone on the forums here put me on to the new Aquadhere Polyurethane which expands as you ask , works a treat on the couple of things I've tried it on so far .

bitingmidge
21st October 2004, 10:17 PM
There are a few around, the one I have used previously is PURBOND (http://www.boatcraft.com.au/adhesives.html), follow the link for more information.

Cheers,

P

Dewfurn
22nd October 2004, 07:22 AM
semparoc

Bob Smalser
22nd October 2004, 04:23 PM
I use poly glue almost every day...Elmer's brand. Cheaper then Gorilla Glue but is the same stuff.

Greatest thing since sliced bread for green wood, water proof but not yet rated for below-waterline use, likes a lot of clamping pressure. I also use it for large glueups where severe clamping pressure would starve an epoxy joint.

The flip side is that it's half the strength of epoxy, and in spite of the foaming, it doesn't fill gaps worth hooey. Ya gotta dampen real dry wood for best effect. More open time than aliphatics and sands much easier.

The only joints I've had fail with it were ones I did in the driving rain....you can get too much moisture on it, as too much weakens the bond.

The other aspect of it I like is that if you pull the layups from the clamps within 8 or so hours, the squeezeout is soft enuf to run thru the planer without any danger of chipping the blades...no scraping first.

Christopha
22nd October 2004, 06:03 PM
http://www.boatcraft.com.au/adhesives.html
What the nibbly blowie said..... he's good that bloke and so is the glue!
Bob, I don't think your brand names apply here in Oz mate.

Dewy
23rd October 2004, 10:07 AM
Gorrilla glue was the 1st poly glue but there are many brands available now.
You can either put it on one piece and dampen the other or just allow the moisture in the wood activate it.

Gumpy
23rd October 2004, 10:37 AM
Try the new Selleys indoor/outdoor glue. It foams up when it comes in cures. I use it for window sashes.

Daniel

barryr
23rd October 2004, 11:46 AM
Try the new Selleys indoor/outdoor glue. It foams up when it comes in cures. I use it for window sashes.

Daniel
yeh that's the aquadhere polyurethane that I mentioned !

Dewfurn
23rd October 2004, 04:10 PM
Semparoc is available from Hoffman Industries I don't have the phone no. on me but they are in Braeside. Cost is about $26.00 for a litre sounds expensive but its the best glue I have used for jointing timber. It foams up as it reacts with the moisture in the timber. It is very water proof so avoid cotact with skin. However you can buy a cleaner for $17.00.

Bob Smalser
25th October 2004, 07:57 AM
Keep a rag dampened with alcohol handy to wide the wet poly glue from your hands and you can prevent the skin staining.

nadroj
29th October 2004, 11:29 PM
Just to thank you all for the tips. I found a product in a Mitre10 shop, called AV515 by A.V.Syntec P/L.
From the 300ml cartridge, which cost under Oz$15:
"AV515 is a solvent free quick setting polyurethane adhesive that reacts with humidity to cure."
"AVS expands slightly thus filling any irregularities in the substrate."
Haven't tried it yet, but it sounds like the right stuff.
It wasn't shelved with the wood glues - rather it was with the silicone sealers and such, and had the shop attendants scratching their heads for a while.