PDA

View Full Version : Frying pan handle

hooppine
24th September 2010, 10:59 AM
I have been asked to replace the haandle of this frying pan. It is thick and heavy(the pan) and has lasted for almost 50yrs. My wife says she can not find a pan as good as it. She has tried. We have several in the cupboard. The handle is cracking and needs to be replaced. It is approx. 15cm long, tapers from 30mm to 25mm and has a 5mm hole from end to end for attachment. What I want to know is what material do I use and where do I get it. I considered a hardwood one but worry that it would crack after a while. Suggestion would be appreciated, but only about the replacement handle please.

Manuka Jock
24th September 2010, 11:29 AM
Yep , turn a hardwood one .

TTIT
24th September 2010, 12:02 PM
I reckon I'd go with a hardwood job. It will look and feel better than anything else you could use and even if it only lasts ten years, it would be so easy to make another it's not worth worrying about :;

hooppine
25th September 2010, 01:44 PM
If a hardwood handle lasted 10 years I should make two now because in ten yrs time I will be 84:? if still alive. How many wood turners in their 80's are still active.. What is the age of the oldest active woodturner:;

Pat
25th September 2010, 02:02 PM
Well in the woodworking club, that I belong to, there are a few blokes well over the 74 years mark and one bloke in his late 70's that runs rings around me, a doddery 39 year old:-

Manuka Jock
25th September 2010, 03:54 PM
The oldest member in our guild is 88 years old :2tsup:
He started turning in the late 1930s , as part of his apprenticeship .

Sawdust Maker
25th September 2010, 04:02 PM
...bloke in his late 70's that runs rings around me, a doddery 39 year old:-

so that was your walking frame at NZ's the other week :p

hooppine

I'd also go hardwood
see if you can get some WA sheoak or something like that to make it look extra special

pommyphil
26th September 2010, 05:42 PM
I did a couple out of forest oak and put brass feruls on them, inboard like a chisel,

solves the splitting problem and looks very sexy.