PDA

View Full Version : Vl175

keithkarl2007
28th September 2010, 10:09 AM
Yes I'm back again, still haven't got it sorted even though the dealer i purchased it from visited personally last wednesday. I showed him how the centres didn't align perfectly and he said they were acceptable tolerances. He put the toolrest up to the dead centre to check for run-out and said that was also perfect and that there was nothing wrong with the lathe. I took these videos today. Let me know if you think this is normal because i have it in my head that a larger diameter piece, say a platter will be out a mile, or am i wrong. There's a vid not up where it shows the same thing on the faceplate, hitting on one spot on the front.

Allan at Wallan
28th September 2010, 10:37 AM
Videos :?

Allan

Manuka Jock
28th September 2010, 10:53 AM
??
Is this a new thread topic or a continuation of an old one ?

:rolleyes:

Big Shed
28th September 2010, 12:37 PM
??
Is this a new thread topic or a continuation of an old one ?

:rolleyes:

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/any-vl175-owners-118855/

Manuka Jock
28th September 2010, 12:48 PM
Thanks Fred , makes a bit more sense now . All we need now is the movie :)
Gotta wonder why the new thread rather than carrying on with the original tho eh.

bobsreturn2003
28th September 2010, 06:51 PM
ok sorry to hear its still not right. when you adjust the bearings you need to loosen the belt so its loose ,then undo the handwheel and locking ring see if the shaft is central to the hole from the back side . then slowly tighten by hand to instructions from vicmarc website . maybe the belt is pulling on the shaft as its too tight??? if you remove the guards from headstock and motor you can see whats happening and loosen both nuts to adjust belt . have an 03 model and just replaced motor with 2hp as early ones had 1hp ,wasnt enough for me . lets know how you go .mines magic with the 2hp . and they are an excellent machine .cheers Bob

keithkarl2007
29th September 2010, 04:17 AM
Sorry, my old thread was over 113 days old and i couldn't reply on it. I got an email from Vicmarc saying:
Hi Keith,

I have looked at both of your videos.

<LI style="COLOR: navy" class=MsoNormal>For the video where you have the toolrest against the outside edge of the spindle; our spindles are hardened and in this process they do distort slightly, this is why after hardening they are ground between centres so that all the critical points (e.g. the Morse taper and the diameter 34mm shoulder) run true. This edge you are checking has no effect on the machines performance in any way and in fact we have a tolerance of 0.2mm between that particular spindle diameter and the bearing housing diameter so that they don’t rub. Basically this part of the spindle is a dust seal for the bearing.
on this video the chuck appears to be only running out very slightly and without dialing it up I would say it is defiantly within tolerance. If you were to test an engineering lathe outside diameter of the chuck you would find that it too would run out slightly.

We have a very strict quality control and we strive to be the best lathe manufacturers in the world. Thank you for your concern as we do appreciate feedback or concerns from our customers. Please continue to use the machine and enjoy as it should last you a lifetime.

keithkarl2007
29th September 2010, 04:20 AM
Here is a link to the videos, i thought i had put it up last night, sorry.
lathe oor 044 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/keithkarl2007/5031462506/)

jefferson
30th September 2010, 05:42 PM
Sorry to be late on this one.

I have 3 Vicmarcs - a LB VL300, a VL175 and a baby VL100.

I checked today, finally. Ken W. has been up here demolishing and restoring the old house (thanks Ken and Helen :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:), so I got side-tracked.

All 3 lathes run as you would like. Nothing like the video. But I do have to agree with Vicmarc, it's the inside tolerance on the headstock end - and the runout on the drive that count.

I know we all get fussy, wood being what it is, moving all the time. But CNC should give us some degree of exactness, time after time.

Glad it didn't happen to me. Sorry it happened to another.