Hey all if you seen my setup for the mini lathe
I spent saturday makeing one for old yellow:oo:

this pic was taken saturday from my Iphone will take more asap

I left room for more holes to be cut and more steps to be made to hold them

bilt the dusty in to it as well

Skew ChiDAMN!!
28th September 2010, 09:23 PM
It's a good start! :2tsup:

An idea for any future builds would be to angle the top "plate" so that any dust/shavings slide off. (That's one of my personal banes. Another is the way crap builds up in the "wells" that the butts of the tools sit in. :roll:)

I suspect that, like most of us, you'll put up with what you've built for a year or six and then build Mk 5.

(And not bothering with the Mk 2, 3 & 4 versions 'cos you'll have thought about them for so long before building that you'll realise they have minor flaws too!)

wheelinround
28th September 2010, 09:30 PM
Dave well set up except the dusty :roll: the lathe is long and dusty is now set to one end only.
Mat must be working his butt of in your shed.

Thanks Skew for that insight I need to build/make a better system than I have now..........I shall wait for ver 5:U ideas.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
28th September 2010, 09:40 PM
Dave well set up except the dusty :roll: the lathe is long and dusty is now set to one end only.

Good call!

I've found that the only time I use a dusty on the lathe is when sanding... and then I want the hood up close and personal to where I'm working.

As it's a good idea to remove the tool-rest when sanding (saves one from wedged fingers. DAMHIKT :C ) this means the banjo is free for use... so I hook up a small (4"sq or so) dusty hood to a long length of flexi-duct, fit it to the banjo and then can easily position it exactly where it'll do the most good. :2tsup:

nz_carver
29th September 2010, 03:41 PM
Mat must be working his butt of in your shed.

Thanks Skew for that insight I need to build/make a better system than I have now..........I shall wait for ver 5:U ideas.

yeah my mums sister her b/f and two kids are over from nz so I just lock my self in the workshop:no:

nz_carver
29th September 2010, 03:44 PM
I was thinking about setting the lathe up just for out board turning thats why I made it like it is

turning betwen centers is not my thing

Sawdust Maker
29th September 2010, 05:04 PM
NZ

Nifty. I'm not sure I'd like to drop them down into their hole every time

Skew

Interesting comment - I've just thought of a change to my second iteration
this is my first

It works well but has limited capacity which has now been exceeded
it is also hinged so has starage capacity behind it with various measuring implements etc

My second iteration is still in the conceptual planning stage, I'm thinking of 50mm plastic water pipe for the end of the chisel to sit in, say 30 mm high and another lesser diameter bit of water pipe for the pointy end of the chisel to slip up into, all to be on a slight slope back from 90 degrees

at the moment extra chisels are point down in a bucket of shavings

hughie
30th September 2010, 10:27 AM
Its good ............. but it will be too small soon. Also realize there is no "Best System" cos we are always in need of more tools, dodads, thingamajigs, and the like. :)

One of the best is the type I brought to your place. Its portable, holds a lot, low cost and easily upgraded.

NeilS
30th September 2010, 12:57 PM
this means the banjo is free for use... so I hook up a small (4"sq or so) dusty hood to a long length of flexi-duct, fit it to the banjo and then can easily position it exactly where it'll do the most good. :2tsup:

Snap!... 6" flex all the way in my case.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
30th September 2010, 08:31 PM
Snap!... 6" flex all the way in my case.

:2tsup: Even when doing "just outboard turning" you need to be able to adjust the position for best suck value.

Interesting comment - I've just thought of a change to my second iteration
this is my first

Cool! That's the sort of arrangement my next one will be based on, except it'll be a swinging cupboard door lined with peg-board... so I can re-arrange wire hangers to suit my needs of the time.

I'll still have a couple of the more usual vertical "tool stands" but they'll be for my less frequently used tools.

AFAICT, there is no "one system for everything" that'll survive more than a year or two. :sigh:

Sawdust Maker
1st October 2010, 11:28 AM
I was trying to come up with a double door arrangement ie one behind the other - still pondering that one

I also could have had a lesser gap between the chisels but that would have only given me one or at the most two extra spaces on the rack

I like your idea of the pegboard behind, I might be able to retro fit that to my existing arrangement :2tsup: I do have a couple of nails on the door, one holds my cardboard discs used for cutting blanks, I should put my wire garrotes there as well.

NeilS
1st October 2010, 02:45 PM
:2tsup: Even when doing "just outboard turning" you need to be able to adjust the position for best suck value.

....:d