PDA

View Full Version : Sturdee's foot switch.

Sturdee
23rd October 2004, 06:13 PM
When using certain machine tools it would be very handy to have a third hand. You could use your normal hands to operate the tool and hold the work as usual and a third one to quickly switch off the machine in an emergency. This would be very handy when using a drill press or a table mounted router.

So for a long time I have been looking to make something that could replace a third hand something like a footswitch that could turn of the machine in an emergency. I have been looking at using vacuum cleaner switches but these proved too difficult to safely built in a jig.

Then I looked at sewing machine foot controls. The new ones are not suitable as they don’t use 240 volt or they use compressed air. However the old ones are perfect. I obtained two old Singer foot controls from a sewing machine retailer (one of the small local independent ones who does their own servicing) and adapted the plug that normally fits into the sewing machine with a normal power point outlet.

I have been using one on my drill press for about a bit over a month and am very pleased with it. In use I line the drill bit to just above the timber and press the footswitch to operate the machine and release the footswitch to stop the machine. The footswitch works like a dead man switch (ie. Only while pressed in). This is the equivalent to using an NVR switch, as the motor can not start by itself.

Photo 1 shows the switch connected to the drill press.

Photo 2 shows the two units with the power point outlets connected. I used a chipboard block to mount the outlet, cheaper to use an old outlet than buy a plug and it hides the wiring.

Photo 3 shows the inside of the first unit. This one could be used without modification as the resistors/diodes? were working okay.

Photo 4 shows the inside of the second unit. This one would not switch of so I removed the resistors/diodes? and bypassed them using the blue jumper wire. Now it works okay.

To trace the wiring for connecting the plugs I used a cheap volt meter continuity tester.

There are many more uses than a drill press for a footswitch eg scroll saw and handtools that are mounted into jigs and the second one will become one of those tools that will be used more and more.

***WARNING *** Electrical work can be lethal and although this gadget is not illegal to wire up yourself as it is not directly connected to the main wiring if you are not absolutely sure of how to do it get an electrician to make it for you.

Peter.

jow104
23rd October 2004, 07:19 PM
Looks another good idea from the master jig builder.

The sewing machine that my wife uses (Pfaff) the footswitch operates like an accelerator pedal, and her previous machines did the same. Hve you bypassed this operation?

I have in the past had footswitches operating my music keyboards that operate "on then off", The are quite cheap in the U.K. (Korg type or Yamaha but have different electronic setup inside the pedals)

Perhaps someone with electrical knowledge can give them the once over as well.

Sturdee
23rd October 2004, 07:35 PM
The sewing machine that my wife uses (Pfaff) the footswitch operates like an accelerator pedal, and her previous machines did the same. Hve you bypassed this operation?

The ones I got are ofcourse old but kept by the sewing machine shop owner as he is loath to throw things out. The variable speed control doesn't work anymore. On the first the rest of the switch worked fine and so no work was needed but on the second I had to bypass the variable stuff .

The good thing is that they were free and he has more if I need them. :D

Peter.

ozwinner
23rd October 2004, 07:54 PM
Peter!!

Why do you want to switch feet?

Al :confused:

Sturdee
23rd October 2004, 08:18 PM
Peter!!

Why do you want to switch feet?

Al :confused:

In case you need to borrow mine and hang them amongst the others in your shop. :D

Peter.

Caliban
23rd October 2004, 08:27 PM
Peter
boom, boom.LMAO
I tried to give you a greenie but wasn't allowed.

E. maculata
23rd October 2004, 10:27 PM
Nice Adaptation Peter, had thought about the sewing machine controls as well, but was lucky enough to acquire a proper foot control from a fitter mate, and yep I too use mine on the drill press, and metal lathe just in case things get abit wobbly :eek: bleedin handy that way.

simon c
24th October 2004, 08:23 AM
You can buy on-off foot switches from electrical outlets like Middy's for about $30 and then wire them into an extension or powerboard. I use a powerboard so I can also plug the vacuum/dust collector into it so it switches on at the same time.

Abug
24th October 2004, 12:43 PM
A foot switch is the best thing I ever built for use with my dads but now my MK3 bench. I built one back in 1992 when I was 17. I used good quality switch and with x2 cable glands and 2 cables coming off it with a male 240volt plug on one and a female 240volt plug on the other Male plug went into the power lead while the female plugged into the workbench switch box.

The only thing with a sewing machine footswitch is to make sure the contacts can handle the load of the drill or whatever you use it for, and also the cable size. The cable on this mod looks like it may be 0.75mm cable where it should be at least 1.5mm cable. But definately easier to stop the saw instead of reaching for the stop button. :)

I was just a 2nd year Electrical apprentice then.

jow104
24th October 2004, 06:49 PM
Welcome Abug, I hope your user name doesn't give us too much trouble :)

Sturdee
24th October 2004, 06:49 PM
Good to hear that others find a foot switch as handy as I do. I wouldn't use a drill press without it anymore.

Abug thanks for your advice on checking that the switch can handle the load of the tool.

I use it for the drill press and will use it for handheld tools that are incorporated in a jig, eg biscuit jointer and the dremel tool. As these motors are not very big I'm sure that the switch can handle it , but probably not my Mk3 workcentre or Triton router.

Peter.

himzol
26th October 2004, 10:55 AM
Just on foot switches,

All the lasers I work with have a foot switch actuator, all have a metal hood over the foot switch to stop you accidently stepping on said switch when walking around.
Peter you may want to make something like that up for your units, it may not be necessary but I've always been of the opinion that you can't be too carefull.

Himzo.

SWR
26th October 2004, 03:16 PM
Hello Sturdee,

Might I say, nice work!

I discovered the old problem of needing a third hand myself and came to the same conclusion that a foot switch was the way to go.

Jaycar Electronics, which are in most states sell a foot switch rated at 250V 10A which is ample for most applications. I have mine switching a 2 outlet 240V outlet mounted to a sturdy piece of timber with a foot guard bent up out of flat aluminium to prevent accidental operation. Here is the code for it:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=type width="72%" bgColor=#f2f2f2>JAYCAR - STOCK-CODE: SP0760

I have converted my homemade table saw and my bandsaw both to foot switches and it gives me both hand free to do the safe thing...

Of course it goes without saying that if you don't know what your doing get a sparky to do it...cause mains will kill you soon as look at you...it can bite really hard, so don't risk it.

But when/if you do convert something to foot switches, you,ll wonder how you survived without them!

Cheers'n'beers to all.

Scott.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

simon c
26th October 2004, 06:17 PM
Scott,

They look just the ticket. Will be buying a couple this weekend.

scooter
26th October 2004, 10:38 PM
How much are those Jaycar ones Scott?

Sean

Tonyz
26th October 2004, 11:14 PM
Could this web site/forum board make money from advertising? With comments like the above I wonder how many set of foot switches Jaycar will sell this weekend. They will look at their sales records in 3 months and wonderwhy such an upserge. Go for the throat UBEAUT see what you can get out of businesses like them .. Tonto

simon c
27th October 2004, 11:14 AM
Did a quick search on the internet.

http://www1.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=SP0760

Thanks again for the pointer, Scott

Craig Gordon
27th October 2004, 01:17 PM
Just on foot switches,

All the lasers I work with have a foot switch actuator, all have a metal hood over the foot switch to stop you accidently stepping on said switch when walking around.
Peter you may want to make something like that up for your units, it may not be necessary but I've always been of the opinion that you can't be too carefull.

Himzo.

I agree totally with you here Himzol! My brother-in-law took the tips of his fingers off when a work mate walked behind him when he was working ona metal press. The natural reaction is to step foward to let someone through but he forgot that the foot switch was infront of his foot and that his hand was in the press!

Cheers,
Craig Gordon

Dan
27th October 2004, 01:50 PM
I think a footswitch should only be used in conjunction with a NVR (no voltage release) switch.
A quick check on my bandsaw and pedestal drill revealed that the drill has NVR but the bandsaw doesn't. For anyone not sure weather their gear is fitted with NVR, turn it on as you usually would when using the machine and leave it running, now go over to the outlet on the wall (where the machine gets its power from) and turn the power off then back on again. If the machine restarts there is no NVR fitted to the starting circuit.
One other thing to remember about fitting a footswitch to a machine with NVR is that the footswitch will need to be operated first, then the machines normal "on" button will still need to be pushed to get the machine running, but stopping will require only the footswitch to opened.

SWR
27th October 2004, 07:07 PM
Hello Guys (& Gals),

The switches are $19.95 and available from pretty much any Jaycar store.

For those who understand(and are not going to fry themselves!), simply wire the normally open switch contact and the common in series with the active cable and hey presto...deadmans switch.

Very handy with the bandsaw. Especially when the magnetic switch on my Hafco BP-14 melted!

The plate on the bottom removes so that you can mount it to something sturdy (like a big lump of wood) and then fit a guard bent out of some scrap metal (ali plate or similar)

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Scott.

Sturdee
27th October 2004, 08:16 PM
Himzol, Generally speaking fitting a guard over the switch is a very good idea. My drill press foot switch is located in a corner so it is not likely to be accidentally activated. However I will incorporate it in the mobile one.

Dan, My footswitch is a deadman switch. It only works whilst pressed in and as soon as pressure is released the switch stops. Therefore the footswitch is actually a NVR switch and it is not necessary to have one on the actual machine and in fact it would a hindrance if it had one. Therefore I leave the drill press switch permanently in the on position.

Tonto, it does not matter if Jaycar sells switches, the important thing is improving our workshops. But it would be funny if based on this sudden rush they permanently increase their stocklevels. :D

Peter.

simon c
28th October 2004, 09:32 AM
We'll see what happens with Jaycar. I bought one of their switches and sent them an email pointing to this forum. Not had a reply yet.

Simon