PDA

View Full Version : thicknesser idea's

alan hughes
23rd October 2004, 11:15 PM
I have jusy bought a secondhand 15" thicknesser,i think it's from China and sold by Ron Mack,it does a great job,exept the last 75-100mm of each peice gets damaged,as it clears the base roller,i would really appreciate some advise if there is a way of stopping this occuring,and i have had to get wood longer, but i don't like to waste good wood,any comments appreciated.

boatchippy
23rd October 2004, 11:35 PM
This happens on just about any machine. Caused as the timber leaves the infeed roller and drops down slightly as preasure is released.
Lift the timber upward about 2-4" as it comes out of the machine to stop this.
Cheers

gatiep
23rd October 2004, 11:37 PM
Try lighter cuts.

:)

zymurgy
23rd October 2004, 11:44 PM
Alan,

Stagger (sp) feed your wood across the full 15" so there is always timber under the rollers or use a sacrificial piece that you can tailgate the wood with.

vsquizz
24th October 2004, 01:01 AM
In addition to the above it can normally be minimised by setting the machine up properly and the addition of outfeed extensions or rollers. Do a search on this board for "sniping" and you will turn up some excellent technical advice and links to articles on the matter.

Cheers

chook
24th October 2004, 06:37 AM
You probably will not want to do this on a 15 inch thicknesser, but I only have a cheap 12 inch and it works for me. I got a piece of melamine as wide as the thicknesser. I mounted the thicknesser on a stand. The melamine extends through the thicknesser and out the other side. (I lose 16 mm of potential height). Now most of the timber I thickness passes through the machine on the one level surface and I seldom get any dig in on the last few inches of a board. Of course the ends of the melamine have to be supported on blocks which are screwed to the stand otherwise the ends would flex. My thicknesser does not have rollers on the table of the thicknesser as most 15 inch machines do. But these rollers can be lowered out of the way. The feed rollers have no trouble getting the timber through the machine across the melamine.

Kev Y.
25th October 2004, 01:50 PM
Here is a link passed on to me by Iain, hope it helps you.

http://www.woodshopdemos.com/plan-pm.htm