PDA

View Full Version : Smocks / Jackets

IanA
24th October 2004, 11:52 AM
What are the desirable features to look for?

There appears to be a number of different designs on the market, so I guess that some personal preference may creep in.

What about the material used, cotton versus synthetic?

Long sleeve / short sleeve?

SWMBO offered to make one for me, but a ready made item may be a better option, given that SWMBO has other things to fill in her time and pfaffing around fitting zips is not her favourite job.

From the ads I've seen for smocks they don't appear to cost the earth.

Don Nethercott
24th October 2004, 12:30 PM
I got one from Timbercom - about $28 from memory. It has an elastic neck fitting which really does stop the sawdust going down the front of your shirt. I got the short sleeved version as I don't like long sleeves near high speed machinery, especially lathes. However they do have long sleeved versions.
The back only goes down to above the waist - more a holding piece than anything.
Front isn't particularly long, well above the knees.
It's made of synthetic material and is a pretty dark purple - I thought it was a woman's nightie when I first unpacked it (there's an opening for some of the comics on the Forum!!!)
However it does work well, and that is all that matters

SeanS
24th October 2004, 01:24 PM
Ian,

I have a hand made one (mother in law) which is great. It is a very light material, don't know what it is (like a spray jacket, but even ligther). That means that dust and shavings brush right off it, and it doesn't really add any warmth (so I can just throw it over whatever I am wearing at the time). I agree with the comment about long sleeves. Wearing any clothing with the potential to get caught in fast moving machinery is a bit risky. The other good thing about mine is that it is tight fitting round the neck too, which is a big help.

Cheers,

Sean

Jeff
26th October 2004, 03:12 PM
Mine has medium length sleeves and a turn-up collar that both have velcro closures that allow it to be snugged up. It goes well below the waist, but above the knees. There is a small pocket in the back at the bottom, which I rarely use, but it's nice at times. Best of all there are no pockets in front to fill up with sawdust and shavings. The only beef I have with the design is that the collar velcro sometimes gets attached to the soft part of my faceshield that forms the seal around my face. I don't generally turn the collar up unless I'm turning some wet green wood, so the velcro flap for the collar sits there exposed, waiting to grap my facemask when I stoop down to peer inside something I'm giving a hollowing cut to. When I stand back up I find the face mask wants to stay attached to my shoulder :o . It probably looks pretty hilarious, but I don't think I've been caught.....yet! Even with this small drawback, I do like to wear it, as it keeps my clothes a lot cleaner. I occasionally give it a good blast of air from the compressor, and have even been known to throw it in the wash once or twice a year!

Grunt
26th October 2004, 06:06 PM
I like my woodturners in a nice smock. :D

barnsey
26th October 2004, 06:35 PM
Oh my goodness I can just see the fashion parade at next years WWW shows. :cool:

Designer smocks, aprons and jackets in all the latest trendy colours :p la de bloody da :rolleyes:

Me I'll be in the orange buzz helmet, T and stubbies thanks with the spats to keep the s@#t out of me shoes :)

Bloody smocks - give me a break :D :D :D :D

smidsy
26th October 2004, 06:56 PM
Barnesy,
Smocks are actually a labour saving device - means you don't have to vacuum out your pockets before you put your clothes in the wash :D
Cheers
Paul

Grunt
26th October 2004, 07:13 PM
Barnesy,
Smocks are actually a labour saving device - means you don't have to vacuum out your pockets before you put your clothes in the wash
Cheers
Paul

Come on, you blokes just want an excuse to wear women's clothes while you're in the shed.

:D

Caliban
2nd November 2004, 11:46 AM
Come on, you blokes just want an excuse to wear women's clothes while you're in the shed.

:D

Hey
It works for lumberjacks. :D

barnsey
2nd November 2004, 04:43 PM
I can just hear the chorus at the fashion parade now - "I'm a lumberjack" :D :D :confused:

PLLLLEEEEASE :rolleyes:

adrian
7th November 2004, 11:38 AM
A lightweight Lycra surfing top. Cool, tight, long sleeve or short, no pockets and lookin' gooooood.

aussieglen
7th November 2004, 03:26 PM
Me? Well I have a ready stock of old business shirts I wore out while working for the public service. I found that they suited me ideally when I donned them back to front and did up the button at the back of my neck. Voila! - smock, tight around the neck, no pockets, cool, cheap ('cos I had already discarded them) easy to don and finally disposable when they were too disreputable.
Peter

adrian
8th November 2004, 11:05 AM
Well I have a ready stock of old business shirts I wore out while working for the public service.
Peter

???????
:rolleyes:

barnsey
8th November 2004, 11:40 AM
???????
:rolleyes:

You must have used the wrong colour on the words - we couldn't see them :eek:

For the sake of eliminating any confusion I think you were saying
""Working" and "Public Service" in the same sentence is a contradiction in terms" :rolleyes: :p ( No offence Glenn )

Now can we PLLLLLEEASE forget the smock/jacket benefits - I'm about to ask to ensure that all further participants do so by agreeing to be mannequins for all of next years WWW show Fashion Parades - You will not be allowed to wear anything other than your bloody smocks!!! :eek: :eek:

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

adrian
8th November 2004, 02:46 PM
You must have used the wrong colour on the words - we couldn't see them :eek:

For the sake of eliminating any confusion I think you were saying
""Working" and "Public Service" in the same sentence is a contradiction in terms" :rolleyes: :p ( No offence Glenn )

I was actually lost for words so I just put in ????????.
It's not "working" and "public service" it's the fact that someone wore out an item of clothing working for the public service.

Sorry Aussieglen, I couldn't resist the dig. I worked for the commonwealth public service for many years and the only thing I wore out was my welcome. Aren't redundancies grand!!

river rat
8th November 2004, 06:49 PM
I did not wear a smock until swmbo wash one of my shirts with pockets full of shaveings in with a load of her best jumpers, she had got the shirt out of the shop and was going to surprise me, after she got the jumpers out of the dryer was when all hell broke loose. I thought I was going to be single agin over it. Now I have a light weight one with flaps on the pockets

River Rat

RETIRED
11th November 2004, 02:57 PM
Now can we PLLLLLEEASE forget the smock/jacket benefits - I'm about to ask to ensure that all further participants do so by agreeing to be mannequins for all of next years WWW show Fashion Parades - You will not be allowed to wear anything other than your bloody smocks!!! :eek: :eek:

Sorry Barnsey but I can't resist. :D

I think I am probably well qualified to judge a parade of TURNING JACKETS aka smocks. :rolleyes:

I have over the years accumulated quite a few, 25 in fact. Some with companies logos I have demonstrated for and some without.

Some that have zippers, buttons, press studs, velcro up the front, down the sides or in the back.
Synthetic, cotton, a plastic one for wet turning, lightweight, heavyeight, clean ones, absolutely filthy ones that the wife won't pollute the washing machine with, :o long sleeves, short sleeves, pockets, no pockets, custom made, professionally made, long, short, light blue, dark blue, yellow, green, grey and the "schmick schmock" of Ubeauts in a nice little black number. :D

Just a few of them

barnsey
11th November 2004, 03:44 PM
Uhhhhhggggg Geeeez :eek: :eek: :D :D lmao
What more can I say :rolleyes: :p

rsser
11th November 2004, 05:14 PM
What you say is 'I'm sure the little black number doesn't make your butt look any bigger' :-}

barnsey
11th November 2004, 05:49 PM
And "at least it takes the focus off your face:-))

RETIRED
11th November 2004, 06:07 PM
It needs to. :D

echnidna
11th November 2004, 06:52 PM
So are these smocks floral
or
Jet black and do they match some nice high heel boots. Is there a whip pocket??

RETIRED
11th November 2004, 06:56 PM
So are these smocks floral
or
Jet black and do they match some nice high heel boots. Is there a whip pocket??
Nope, no florals for this bloke (said in deep voice). :D

I like flatties because I don't trip in them. No whip pocket but I have a large axe that I wield sometimes :D

Toggy
11th November 2004, 09:32 PM
Real woodies wear dust jackets,

woofies wear "smocks".:D

Ken

IanA
16th November 2004, 11:33 PM
Thanks for all of the input guys.

I've just taken delivery of a smock from Jim Carrol. Excellent service.

Lovely blue number with short sleeves.

Looks like I'm a woofie now, eh Toggy?

Toggy
17th November 2004, 10:29 PM
Ian,
Any other time I'd say something like, "if the dress fits, wear it." But I won't this time; just to be nice to a local.:D

Ken