PDA

View Full Version : glue lines???

ozplanit
25th October 2004, 12:12 AM
Hi all.
I have recently made a breakfast bar top. The timber was Jarrah,I used biscuts and yellow pva glue. I glued and sanded on one weekend and then the next weekend I finished it with mirratone precat. NC.

Prior to finishing there were no visible glue lines, but now I can see and feel a small line where the glue lines are.

Could this possible be a reaction between the glue and finish or is it something that I have done wrong??

any thoughts??

regards
Dean

Ben from Vic.
25th October 2004, 01:10 AM
I have the same thing on my hall table.
I'm told that yellow glue has a certain amount of what they call "creep", this movement causes the little glue ridges you have.

I had oiled my top so I scraped and sanded the lines away.
They came back shortly after. :(

They are still there. :(

Ben.

chook
25th October 2004, 06:19 AM
I used yellow glue on a silky oak table top- same problem. The glue lines are only visible at certain angles,but they are there.

Shane Watson
25th October 2004, 08:47 AM
DO NOT USE WATER BASED ADHESIVES. The moisture in some adhesives is enough to cause small movement in the joints causing glue line creep. A real bugger especially when you have achieved a near perfect finish!
Check out AV Syntec (www.avsyntec.com.au) for case studies on just thing.

ozplanit
25th October 2004, 11:34 AM
ok cheers all,

So if I shouldn't use PVA (waterbased) for edge to edge joining can I get non-waterbased PVA that will work with bickkies?? or should I not be using bickkies??

what are the most common/preferred methods of joining for table/benchtops if a nice finish (without glue lines) is required.

I guess I learnt something new this time, pitty I now have those lines to prove it :o

cheers

Dean

journeyman Mick
25th October 2004, 12:07 PM
I usually glue with epoxy (I get it 20 litres at a time). If I'm using biscuits for alignment they either go in dry or with a few drops of PVA.

Mick

Scally
25th October 2004, 03:14 PM
Hi
I have had similar results with Jarrah and other dense Australian timbers like ironbark when using PVAs.
I don't have a problem when using epoxies or urea formaldehyde (AV Syntec).
I apply these to join and biscuits like I normally do with PVAs.

The ironbark breadboard I joined with PVA still pushes out glue along the join after several years of use in the kitchen so I can help with fixing the problem.

Scally