PDA

View Full Version : Baby Rattle

Nai84
5th October 2010, 03:17 AM
Hey Everyone

Check this out I made this baby rattle out of pine this is my first set captive rings I have ever done I even made the tool to cut the rings:D I have heaps of people wanting them and willing to pay for them:2tsup:

Cheers Nai84

artme
5th October 2010, 07:05 AM
Top sruphph nai!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

You really are galloping ahead and having a rattling good time!:D

Ozkaban
5th October 2010, 07:40 AM
Nicely done... good sense of achievement, esp building your own tools.

Cheers,
Dave

munruben
5th October 2010, 07:58 AM
well done:2tsup:

Avery
5th October 2010, 08:14 AM
Excellent!

How about a photo of the tool?

Ed Reiss
5th October 2010, 12:07 PM
what they said +1

Nai84
5th October 2010, 12:17 PM
Hey Guys

Thanks I didnt think it would turn out so go on my first go but it :cool: and as for the tool here it is I did have a grind on it like a normal one but I didnt like it so I kept grinding it till I felt comformtable with it and this is what I got:2tsup:

Cheer Nai

Rum Pig
5th October 2010, 12:20 PM
I can see baby's playing with that for hours as it is more than just a rattle. Well done:2tsup::2tsup:

Nai84
5th October 2010, 12:50 PM
Hey Rum Pig

Thanks for kind words and I glad everyone likes it any off to shed to make more rattles:D

Cheers Nai

Avery
5th October 2010, 04:42 PM
Thanks for the photos and the great ideas.

I love this forum!

I went out to the shed and made a tool for myself. The shape is not right yet , but it works OK. The tool is made from a spade bit drill. Drilled a 9mm hole, roughed out the shape on a grinder and finished with a chain saw sharpening stone in a Dremel tool.

I bought a set of 5 of these spade bits for $5.99 at the local $2 shop.

The guy assured me that they were HighSpeedSteel - " Oh yes. Very fast!"

I have already used these to make a couple of small curved scrapers and they work quite well.

joe greiner
5th October 2010, 08:29 PM
Excellent alternates to the store-bought tools. CSUSA's prices for captive ring tools (handled) are about US$42 for 3/8", and US$38 for 1/4". Use your tailstock drill chuck for a handle. I reckon the spade bits could also be modified for Chinese ball tools when/if. And the spade bit can also be shaped to make conforming sockets for candle-cup inserts, back on the lathe.

Cheers,
Joe

NeilS
5th October 2010, 10:47 PM
Made a few, but only for the grandchildren and friend's grandchildren. They seem to be used more as a teething ring as rattle. Also realised after making a few that I needed to make the handle smaller for those little hands.

Although not a classic design (therefore may not appeal to buying adults) a handle at each end works better.

Nai84
5th October 2010, 11:32 PM
Hey Avery

I love the idea of your tool that is awsome. I glad I could help someone even if was nothing major :p. I am in the prosese of making another tool so when I am finished I will post it for you to see:2tsup:

Hey joe greiner

Thanks I made the tool coz I wanted one and I can afford to buy one so I had spare chisels laying around so I thought why not make one :2tsup:

Hey NeilS

I am making one now with handles both sides and I have already sold four and I have another 10 to make for people so I will let know how they go with the kids :2tsup:

Cheers Nai

orraloon
6th October 2010, 11:59 AM
Really good Nai, both the rattle and the tool to make it.
Something about turning that really gets the brain working to find ways to make whatever is you have been mulling over.
Regards
John

comgreserv
6th October 2010, 12:14 PM
Just a tip lads, if you make the from olive wood and fine sand it, you wont have to use any finnish duw to the natural oils in the timber :) Rattle on!

Nai84
6th October 2010, 01:24 PM
Hey Guys

Thanks I really enjoy making my own tools & ect but the best bit is that my little girl loves the wood rattles and so do my other brats LOL

Cheers Nai

Dave50
6th October 2010, 01:31 PM
nothing beats the pleasure at both ends! pleasure whilst building the thing and then seeing the pleasure it gives to the end user, pride in oneself is a good thing when rightfully gained!

Nai84
6th October 2010, 09:37 PM
Hi Dave50

Well said:2tsup:. Life is good but even better when its a good life and there is only one thing better then a good life and thats giving a good life to someone else :2tsup: god dam it I love my little brats

Cheers Nai

Frank&Earnest
7th October 2010, 12:16 PM
Good job, Nai. A couple of questions/comments: you and other posters have made a ring hook that, by the looks of it, is square and therefore scrapes both sides. Does it work well? When I tried my hand at rings just after starting turning I made 2 mirror image hooks, beveled, but maybe one is enough. Re olive wood: it finishes well, but it is because it is dense and close grained, not because it is oily. Another advantage of harder wood than pine is that the sound would be better. And congratulations on your little brats at 26. You are bucking the trend. :2tsup:

Nai84
7th October 2010, 07:32 PM
Hi Frank&Earnest

The tool that I made dose the job ok but still needs to be fine tuned and I just need to parctice practice pratice so I suggest you practice as well and just keep fine tuning your tool/s until you are happy with it :2tsup: thats what everyone keeps telling me so thats what I do and I love It:D

Cheers Nai84