PDA

View Full Version : The Goodwood Timber Co. - Brisbane

Goodwood
25th October 2004, 11:08 PM
Brisbane-based WWF users might like to know about our new venture, the Goodwood Timber Company, located in Bulimba in Brisbane.

http://www.goodwoodtimber.com/

We supply timber sourced mainly from village co-ops in the Solomon Islands and milled in Honiara for export.

We supply Kwila, Pometia (also called Akwa or Taun), Rosewood and Vitex (also called Vasa) in rough sawn/air dried or as decking, flooring and VJs. We are willing to look at price-matching non-trade-quantity quotes.

Have a look at the site anyway, might be of some interest to Brisbane-based WWF forums visitors. Feedback always welcome.

We also sell 1x1 hardwood garden stakes in a mix of these species if you have a green thumb :)

I've put this in the 'Announcements' and the 'Timber and Hardware Suppliers' boards. Hopefully I've got the right boards. Admins and regulars feel free to slap me if I've got it wrong.

barryr
26th October 2004, 11:55 AM
hi Goodwood , is the Rosewood geniune - ie: one of the Dalbergia species or is it just another wood called that ? and is it a dark wood like East Indian or Cocobolo - or is it light like Tulipwood ?

cheers , Bazza

Goodwood
26th October 2004, 06:07 PM
The species is "Pterocarpus indicus", also called New Guinea Rosewood.

Bearing in mind the limitations of web images, lighting, camera settings etc etc here's an example:

http://www.southpacifictimber.co.nz/images/rosewoodflooring.gif

Do an image search on Google for "New Guinea Rosewood" and you'll find a lot of examples on different web sites of the wood in use as flooring, furniture, bowls, carvings and sculptures. It will, of course, polish up to a darker colour depending on the polish or stain and method used. It is particularly prized in China for use in furniture and flooring where they polish it up to a deep, beautiful, glossy finish. Many good Chinese restaurants in Australia and throughout the Pacific will have tables and chairs in polished PNG Rosewood.

barryr
31st October 2004, 08:50 PM
oh ok , cheers , looks like the stuff coming out of Indonesia , I've got snooker cues made of that and East Indian Rosewood , the light stuff is nice but there is no comparison in looks on a snooker cue to the real rosewoods .
I'm sure it would look awesome for other uses such as those you mentioned though !

of course should you have any in the form of Amboyna burl , some small pices whatever , that would be awesome ..

Goodwood
31st October 2004, 10:27 PM
It's generally considered better than the Indonesian stuff, and even the product out of PNG. I'm sure I have some comparisons somewhere - scientific test results etc. Like I said, do a Google image search for PNG Rosewood or the botanical name to find pics of various products. You'll see just how good it can look.

barryr
1st November 2004, 04:53 PM
yeh I did the Google last night as you said , that's when I realised , I knew the name "Pterocarpus indicus" from somewhere or other when I find a page that said it's where Amboyna Burl comes from ( a tree cancer causes it in a couple of Pterocarpus species) . I came up with some nice pics on google of furniture and the like made from this wood but it was all light colored prepared to the Rosewoods I mentioned .
Do you come across any in burl form ? I'm guessing as soon as it's spotted it's mostly nabbed before it makes it to Australia !

just noticed the garden steaks on your website , would they give me a pretty good indication of the different timber colours of these species ? might get a dozen pack (if you do interstate deliveries , I'm thinking they might be a bit long to post) .

cheers , Bazz .

Goodwood
3rd November 2004, 12:10 AM
Drop us a line via the contact form on the site and we'll sort it out.

barryr
3rd November 2004, 12:45 AM
cheers Goodwood , will do that over the next couple of days .

Goodwood
13th November 2004, 07:49 PM
I've just put up a page with some special sizes that might be of interest to people wanting pieces more suited to turning and carving:

http://www.goodwoodtimber.com/special-sizes.htm