PDA

View Full Version : the shed rises, darn slowly

hughie
13th October 2010, 12:11 PM
Well the shed is under way along with a few other things.Its a case doing a bit there and there. Getting the pergola and decking ready for the BBQ season, gardens and the shed.
Had to rope one wall down as we were getting a bit of wind over night, once the walls are complete it will be fairly quick after that.

The shed came with a 70 page instruction booklet........... :C more trouble than it was worth, just got on with it and nutted it out as I went along. :U

Ed Reiss
13th October 2010, 12:16 PM
The shed came with a 70 page instruction booklet........... :C more trouble than it was worth, just got on with it and nutted it out as I went along. :U

Good for you Hughie...men don't need any "instructions":no::no::no::D:D

Lookin' good so far!!

Sawdust Maker
13th October 2010, 12:29 PM
Looking good :2tsup:

looks like for the next gtg we could set a few lathes up on that deck and have a great time :D

NeilS
13th October 2010, 03:46 PM
....:2tsup:

cornucopia
13th October 2010, 04:24 PM
This might seem like a silly question Hughie..... but it looks like a pre fab metal shed which we somtimes get on a smaller scale here in the u.k for things like motorbike storage etc in the u.k they tend to get condensation in the spring and autum causing rust problems and they get red hot in out two/three week summer we get!!! will you get similar problems or do you add vents/insulation somwhere?

wheelinround
13th October 2010, 06:57 PM
This might seem like a silly question Hughie..... but it looks like a pre fab metal shed which we somtimes get on a smaller scale here in the u.k for things like motorbike storage etc in the u.k they tend to get condensation in the spring and autum causing rust problems and they get red hot in out two/three week summer we get!!! will you get similar problems or do you add vents/insulation somwhere?

George your assumptions are right but if the rain don't stop he'll have no problem with being to hot this summer.:p (I live up the road a bit) As for winter well a heater will be required insulation or not.

Looking good Hughie I agree with Nick :U I can see him lugging his Nova across country for a demo on Pen making:;

issatree
13th October 2010, 07:37 PM
Hi Hughie,
Looks to me that you have only Half a Shed left. I'm sure I can see all that Washing drying out in there.
Anyway Half your luck, even if it is only 1/2 a Shed.
Regards,
issatree.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Sawdust Maker
13th October 2010, 08:20 PM
George your assumptions are right but if the rain don't stop he'll have no problem with being to hot this summer.:p (I live up the road a bit) As for winter well a heater will be required insulation or not.

Looking good Hughie I agree with Nick :U I can see him lugging his Nova across country for a demo on Pen making:;

as soon as I make a yoke for it and put wheels on it, it'll go anywhere behind the Mazda:no:
besides Hughie isn't into pen making

hughie
14th October 2010, 03:49 AM
:U Fair comment. I plan to have a vent at the eastern end which will catch the prevailing wind and flow out the pedestrian door at the other end.

As the shed is situated is on the southern side of a two storey house it will be shaded and along the eastern end of the shed where it meets the decking there will be a a slat wall out of hardwood to isolate the shed from the decking entertainment area.
I spent some time watching the shadows fall over the slab. I don't expect much if any sun in the morning or midday, just late afternoon.

All in all it will be a cool shed if anything and I have plans for a sawdust type combustion stove in one corner.
As to insulation this will be done after construction. The design lends it self to insulation installation at a later date along with some sort of lining.

The size is a bit small 3.0m x 6.5m or 19.5sqm, so the dusty will go out side under a small porch area yet to be constructed and some timber storage.

In the event my shadow graph etc is a total failure and the shed is a hot one. I intend to install along the fence line a 2000l water tank fed from the roof of the shed to this I will attach a small pump and a irrigation sprinkler set up to water the roof and flow back to the tank. This method has been used overseas successfully as a low cost cooling method, but will wait and see if its necessary.

artme
14th October 2010, 06:53 AM
You won't know your self when all is complete Hughie!!

I agree with you about getting on with it! Takes too much time to read instructions for a simple shed.:D

NeilS
14th October 2010, 09:48 AM
In the event my shadow graph etc is a total failure and the shed is a hot one. I intend to install along the fence line a 2000l water tank fed from the roof of the shed to this I will attach a small pump and a irrigation sprinkler set up to water the roof and flow back to the tank. This method has been used overseas successfully as a low cost cooling method, but will wait and see if its necessary.

Good thinking, Hughie.... like a large Coolgardie safe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coolgardie_safe)...:U

hughie
15th October 2010, 11:38 AM
Aaaaargh! work progressing at promising rate and cant find the darn gutter brackets etc :~ Looked high and low and come to the conclusion I never got em. So off to the shed mob, fortunately they are a friendly lot, so no dramas and all is good. Back into to it this weekend and should be ready for the roof next week. :2tsup:

I'm gonna feel like an apprentice when I start the lathe again at this rate

Sawdust Maker
15th October 2010, 10:30 PM
:photo:

rsser
16th October 2010, 05:02 AM
Looking good Hughie.

Where will the bar fridge live? ;-}

woodwork wally
16th October 2010, 11:26 AM
Looking good Hughie.

Where will the bar fridge live? ;-}

Aaaaargh! work progressing at promising rate and cant find the darn gutter brackets etc :~ Looked high and low and come to the conclusion I never got em. So off to the shed mob, fortunately they are a friendly lot, so no dramas and all is good. Back into to it this weekend and should be ready for the roof next week. :2tsup:

I'm gonna feel like an apprentice when I start the lathe again at this rate

Having done a shed for each of 3 moves there was always something missing :oo: but go for it mate cos the "Distruction" books are a P.I.T.A. but you wont know yourself with a SHED:2tsup::U and keep the laundry out:no: . Excuse is "its dusty in there!" Cheers Www

wheelinround
16th October 2010, 01:38 PM
I doubt if much progress will have been made this weekend eh Hughie :;
High winds here would have seen Hughie airborne or even just the roof or even walls.

I will keep vigil on a flying man with silver wings he'll be hanging onto.:U

hughie
16th October 2010, 02:37 PM
[I doubt if much progress will have been made this weekend eh Hughie :;
High winds here would have seen Hughie airborne or even just the roof or even walls.
I will keep vigil on a flying man with silver wings he'll be hanging onto.:U

True enough Ray, have had to rope the walls down to the clothes line and pergola. :o Darn thing tried to fly, dunno what the wind speed is but I reckon I could make it to Parramatta in one go. :U Yeehah! ride em cowboy.

wheelinround
17th October 2010, 09:36 AM
True enough Ray, have had to rope the walls down to the clothes line and pergola. :o Darn thing tried to fly, dunno what the wind speed is but I reckon I could make it to Parramatta in one go. :U Yeehah! ride em cowboy.

Should have organised a Shed assembling GtG Hughie I could sit back and laugh while you blokes look like your working:U

Christos
17th October 2010, 12:53 PM
Will be an interesting build. I had to go back to the original post to cast my question.

What's with us males do we not like to read?

hughie
17th October 2010, 04:22 PM
What's with us males do we not like to read?

Not so much as that. In a previous life I was involved in writing manuals and there is a definite method or way to go about it.
Something many companies don't understand, the most extreme examples would be the overseas booklets from Asia.
This one was not so bad but it did leave a bit to be desired, luckily I have a mechanical back ground and have been around a few sheds as well.

Christos
17th October 2010, 08:00 PM
I like to say something like this.

With one eye open and one eye closed. :U

Sawdust Maker
17th October 2010, 08:08 PM
I like to say something like this.

With one eye open and one eye closed. :U

Very profound

hughie
17th March 2011, 09:45 AM
Well its up and not exactly running. I got all my gear in and the layout was darn for a smallish shed/shop.

However, and isn't a lot of "howevers" in life :U With imminent arrival of 4th grand child.. any day now. We need more space and the plan is to build an office on the garage so business can carry on as usual.

But the entire contents of the garage has to go some where while the construction etc is sorted out.

Some how the shed and its original in tended use seems to have been lost :?

The two shots of the alley ways will covered over with water proof shade cloth to extend the storage capacity and house the dust collector.

In the mean time I have been fiddling around with different hollowers with some success.

artme
17th March 2011, 09:59 AM
Don't Sheds always get taken over by "more important things"?:roll:

At least its up Hughie!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

I still haven't been able to get into mine and do anything for months.

Sawdust Maker
17th March 2011, 10:05 AM
Hughie

I think you've been railroaded :rolleyes:
Can you remember what your tools look like?

We were looking at a double storied shed then someone thought it'd shade the washing line for too long in winter :doh:

wheelinround
17th March 2011, 10:45 AM
Hughie I should not have asked should I :no:

I am worried about shed access as the door is facing the fence not much room between moving stuff ok long stuff in and out.

Tools all I see is boxes Nick ok so there is a lathe on the floor and a router he'll trip over them soon enough :U

Ed Reiss
17th March 2011, 12:45 PM
awwwwww, you'll get it all sorted out Hughie...lookin' good :2tsup:

hughie
17th March 2011, 01:15 PM
Yeah it'll get done, its a time thing. :U Space at the door is not bad around 1.3m or 4ft, got everything in ok plus the other stuff..

Railroaded, yeah somewhat, but I keep busy with tool design, just a bit short on tests rigs :C :U

wheelinround
17th March 2011, 01:35 PM
Bring the blanks I got the Nova home now.

Sawdust Maker
17th March 2011, 02:24 PM
Yeah it'll get done, its a time thing. :U Space at the door is not bad around 1.3m or 4ft, got everything in ok plus the other stuff..

Railroaded, yeah somewhat, but I keep busy with tool design, just a bit short on tests rigs :C :U

Ah, but I find that the stress levels decline a lot when one is able to turn a chunk of wood into a pile of shavings on the floor :D

Christos
17th March 2011, 10:55 PM
I think that is it good that you were able to get the shed up but that is really crowded.

hughie
18th March 2011, 01:08 PM
but I find that the stress levels decline a lot when one is able to turn a chunk of wood into a pile of shavings on the floor

providing of course the significant other isnt the source:U

Ray I might take you up on the Nova offer :2tsup: haven't had a good go one of those yet

wheelinround
18th March 2011, 01:43 PM
Your welcome Hughie ..........I get to have a go at Hughie's R&D tools :U

Mate still reckon you did the wrong thing moment it was up its "A SHED, A WORKSHOP" not a storage room :doh: unless its stores tools and wood and metal.:;

hughie
22nd April 2011, 06:40 PM
here we go current status, you can see the Woodfast 400 in its final stages of refurbishment. Put up a rough out for show :U no power in the shed as yet.But I have all the conduit laid etc. Will finish the Woodfast first and lay it out a bit better than the current one.

Pat
22nd April 2011, 06:54 PM
Hughie, are you going to line it and when's the shed warming?:;

Sawdust Maker
22nd April 2011, 07:47 PM
Very tidy shed that :q

I reckon we all just turn up one day :D

Ed Reiss
22nd April 2011, 10:43 PM
Hughie...is dieting on the agenda to fit in there with all that stuff :doh::D:D

Looking fwd to seeing it all tidyed up...would help with that, but am stuck here on the other side of the world:(

nz_carver
23rd April 2011, 12:30 AM
Hey mate nice shed
I bet if you feed it water it and give it lots of sunlight
It will grow up one day to be a fine looking big shed:U
One day

Ross
23rd April 2011, 08:59 AM
It's not officially a shed until we see saw dust on the floor.

Ross

wheelinround
23rd April 2011, 09:32 AM
Hey mate nice shed
I bet if you feed it water it and give it lots of sunlight
It will grow up one day to be a fine looking big shed:U
One day

Dave he is feeding it look at all the garbage in there.

Its nice to see some floor this time Hughie as Ross says sawdust/shaving would be good too.

Paul39
23rd April 2011, 12:49 PM
here we go current status, you can see the Woodfast 400 in its final stages of refurbishment.

Hughie,

What age, swing, and bed length on your Woodfast? I have a 20 inch swing, short bed from 1995.

hughie
23rd April 2011, 05:34 PM
What age, swing, and bed length on your Woodfast? I have a 20 inch swing, short bed from 1995.

Paul,

Mine is a M400 manufacturer 1987 max swing dia 480mm over the gap or 18.90", over the bed 12" Bed length 18".
If I had access to some 50mm or 2" blocks of steel I would lift the Head and Tailstocks. I believe such items were available in the USA for Woodfast lathes at one time.

Cub
26th April 2011, 11:13 PM
Good for you Hughie...men don't need any "instructions":no::no::no::D:D

Lookin' good so far!!

Eddie Izzard has got a good bit on manuals, (tells it how it is)
YouTube - Eddie Izzard- Technology