PDA

View Full Version : Free PC Monitor

smidsy
27th October 2004, 01:29 AM
This has been used to read this forum and look at various turning sights so I'm putting it here on the basis that it's woodturning related :D Besides, I'd rather see it go to a turner.

ADI 17' monitor - model # CM704
The monitor is faulty, the whole picture looks dimmer (but still readable) and red shows as black. It might be fixable, would probably be usable for a text only system or could be canibalised for parts if you already have one of these.

If anyone can get some use out it you are welcome to have it but you'll need to come and collect it - I'm in Southern River.
Contact me at mail2paulatiinetdotnetdotau

Cheers
Paul

jamesy
27th October 2004, 08:31 PM
Paul

Did you try "degauzzing er degaussing er degausing'" well however you spell it

smidsy
27th October 2004, 08:55 PM
Hei Jamesy,
The ADI's have fairly robust (sounds like a full can of coke hitting a concrete floor) degausing on boot up.
I was told on a newsgroup I'm on that it's probably a chip on it's way out, it's 5 years old and has had heavy use so I've had a good life out of it.
I took the opportunity to upgrade with the new monitor so I am now the proud owner of a Viewsonic 19' flat screen graphics spec monitor.
Cheers
Paul

Cliff Rogers
27th October 2004, 11:08 PM
G'day.

Plug it in & get a piccy on it & then reach out & give it a smack on the left ear (side)....
Does the red flash on & off again?
If so, it's just a dry solder joint & can be fixed easily.
If not, chuck it, it's old....
I have & still use a a 17" ADI CM700 from about 5 years ago.
We've had the lid off it once to treak the focus but it's still going well.
(touch wood)

jamesy
28th October 2004, 10:50 PM
:confused: I read somewhere that the tubes never really die. Its the stuff around them that does. Any truth in this.

smidsy
28th October 2004, 11:02 PM
To be honest I didn't even have a look at it because of the age - just confirmed that the fault was monitor and not PC related and junked it.
5 years is a good run and I don't have any electronic skills so I would have had to pay to get it fixed and generally it might be a $2 part but $200 worth of labour to find it.
I went with a Viewsonic 19' flat screen graphic spec monitor for $342 and I am happy.
Cheers
Paul

Cliff Rogers
28th October 2004, 11:04 PM
:confused: I read somewhere that the tubes never really die. Its the stuff around them that does. Any truth in this.

Nuh, tubes can die too, it's usually the guns that give up / wear out.
Sometimes it's possible to rejuvanate the cathodes in the guns by
giving the heaters a boost to get the cathode realy much hotter than
normal & then applying a higher than normal voltage to the screens.
It does have some success but it usually only prolongs the ineveitable
for about 6 months.
This trick is a bit like revving the spit out of a cold engine, just so you
can drive away sooner.... it warms it up faster but...
Also in the same class as putting an almost dead drycell battery in
an oven for 10 minutes to get another 5 minutes life out of it.

The fault described in this case sounds more like a broken solder joint or
a failed driver transistor than a failing gun.