PDA

View Full Version : Re: Another Thompson bulk buy?

Pages : [1] 2

NeilS
15th October 2010, 04:55 PM
OK, starting a new thread on this one

The Aussies will have noticed that the A$ is heading towards parity with the US$ which has got me thinking, if I 'need' anything from the US, now would be a good time to do some buying...:cool: Maybe some more Thompsons.

Being a beneficiary of Ern's efforts for us collectively last time, I thought it would only be fair to see if there was any others interested in another bulk buy? The primary benefit of doing it this way is that there is a saving on the trans-pacific shipping (Doug has offered to pay for that... thanks Doug..:D if we get enough of an order going).

The Thompson website is here (http://www.thompsonlathetools.com/)

Remember that gouge sizes listed are rod widths, not flute widths like the UK way of measuring gouge sizes, and that all tools come unhandled but Doug is now offering some nice looking handles that can be purchased separately.

Please let me know if there is any interest?

Drawing on Ern's experience from last time, the process would be much the same; funds transfer upfront, etc. If necessary, Ern has offered to distribute a second parcel from Melbourne.

Also note that some tools are unavailable (this is marked clearly on the website) and there will be no back ordering as part of this exercise.

And, for the benefit of those that haven't had a chance to use one, what do the people who got a Thompson tool last time think of them now that they have had time to use them for a while?

There is also several reviews on the Thompson website.

rsser
15th October 2010, 05:45 PM
To repeat what was posted in the parent thread, these are really good tools for Aussie timbers. The high vanadium content provides good abrasion resistance.

At the price they are very good value indeed.

chambezio
15th October 2010, 06:33 PM
Hi Neil
Can you see my hand up for a couple of detail gouges

NeilS
15th October 2010, 07:22 PM
Hi Neil
Can you see my hand up for a couple of detail gouges

Yep, and included in the hands up so far:

Drillit - 5/8" V fluted bowl gouge
chambezio - 1/4" Detail Gouge and 3/8" Detail Gouge
NeilS - 3/8" Detail Gouge, 3/4 Lathe Master Handle and 20" Handle with 5/8 nose

Swino
15th October 2010, 08:22 PM
I'm in

3/4 v shaped bowl gouge
3/8 detail gouge

Thanks

scorpio_oz
15th October 2010, 11:41 PM
I'm in

3/8 detail gouge

Thanks
-Gavin

Brett Hammond
16th October 2010, 07:41 AM
I'm in

5/8 V-shaped Bowl Gouge
20" Handle with 5/8 nose

Thanks

Brett

pommyphil
16th October 2010, 08:07 AM
me to

1/2" spindle please

Thanks Phil

PS As I type the News says"Parity". Good news for gouge buyers.

Zedicus
16th October 2010, 09:31 AM
Count me in...

V-shaped Bowl Gouge - 5/8" ,
Spindle Gouge - 1/2",

Thankyou

NeilS
16th October 2010, 11:14 AM
As noted by PommyPhil, we reached parity last night... first time since A$ floated...:)

Keep in mind there is the small matter of an exchange rate fee (about 3%) that PayPal/forex cream off...:(

OK, looks like we have a bulk buy underway.

Running total:

Swino - 3/4 v shaped bowl gouge and 3/8 detail gouge
scorpio_oz - 3/8" detail gouge
Brett Hammond - 5/8 V-shaped Bowl Gouge and 20" Handle with 5/8 nose
pommyphil - 1/2" spindle gouge
Zedicus - V-shaped Bowl Gouge - 5/8" and Spindle Gouge - 1/2"

I feel a spreadsheet coming on...:rolleyes:

rsser
16th October 2010, 11:38 AM
Neil, you're going to put the wind up tool suppliers, not to mention Amsterdam diamond merchants, with these bulk buys!

The last Thompson buy amounted to about AUD 2000

... I can send you my spreadsheet if you like.

hughie
16th October 2010, 11:46 AM
Hi Neil, I'm in with the following:

Mark St.Leger's 5/8 SRG $65
Shallow Detail Gouge - 3/8" $40
<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td align="left">
</td><td align="right" width="80">
</td></tr></tbody></table>

letzzzgo
16th October 2010, 12:16 PM
I'm in with a 5/8" V bowl gouge.
Thanks Neil and Doug!

Cheers John

NeilS
16th October 2010, 12:36 PM
Neil, you're going to put the wind up tool suppliers, not to mention Amsterdam diamond merchants, with these bulk buys!

The last Thompson buy amounted to about AUD 2000

... I can send you my spreadsheet if you like.

I'm mindful of this, Ern. I for one, greatly value our local suppliers and believe that they provide an excellent service at very reasonable prices given the size and location of our market, regulatory and tax environment, etc, etc. Would hate to do anything to negatively impact on them. I'd be bereft without any of them.

However, none of them are Thompson Tool distributors. If they were I wouldn't be doing this.

Thanks for the offer of your spreadsheet, Ern. That will not only save me the setup time but also prompt me to include all required data and calculations that you found necessary last time.

mkypenturner
16th October 2010, 01:53 PM
am thinking about some but still working out what i might need ( for xmas ):D
WHATS THE CUT OFF DATE ??????????

turnerted
16th October 2010, 04:54 PM
Put me down for a 3/8 detail gouge , cat38D .
Thanks
Ted

Sawdust Maker
16th October 2010, 07:18 PM
I participated in the last one
great tools :2tsup:
not sure I need anything now :C
but I'm sure there is something I would like :D
I'll check the exchequer and the "I'd like" list and get back to you

PS I'm also happy to do the Sydney end

Sawdust Maker
16th October 2010, 07:22 PM
The question is?
V shape or U shape bowl gouge :doh:
which do people prefer and why?

NeilS
16th October 2010, 08:28 PM
Mkypenturner - asked about a cut off date? Hadn't set one. Initially just wanted to find out if there was any interest in a bulk buy. If not, I was planning to go ahead once the A$ had settled at or above parity. Now that the bulk buy is definitely on I'm thinking a week should be enough time for everyone who might be interested to throw their hat into the ring. This assumes that the A$ holds up over the coming weeks. Should it retreat we may need to hold off for a bit, which may give some wiggle room for late comers.

Consolidated orders:

hughie - Mark St.Leger's 5/8 SRG and Shallow Detail Gouge - 3/8"
letzzzgo - 5/8" V bowl gouge
turnerted - 3/8 detail gouge

powderpost
16th October 2010, 11:11 PM
Neil, I will take a 1/2" spindle gouge please.
Jim

NeilS
16th October 2010, 11:39 PM
The question is?
V shape or U shape bowl gouge :doh:
which do people prefer and why?

Most people prefer the 'V' flute profile now.

The 'V' lends itself to a more swept back edge profile.

The 'V' gouge is also a more versatile gouge IMO, so if you only have one gouge in a particular size then the 'V' is the way to go.

Some turners like the 'U' for rapid hogging out, especially on green wood. They say that they are less prone to clogging.

Some long time turners that used the older 'U' profile, when that was all that was available, still prefer them.

I keep one of my original P&N 'U' profile gouges, with a traditional grind, for occasionally doing the final cut across the inside bottom of a bowl. They excel at that. Otherwise I'm 'V's (of various catenary profiles) all the way.

BTW, Doug T says the edge profile as viewed in plan view should mirror the flute profile as viewed looking at the end of the gouge. That being the case, it might help you decide which way to go.

rsser
17th October 2010, 06:58 AM
Yes.
There are some diags and a pic on the previous thread about the difference.

Ross
17th October 2010, 08:00 AM
1/2" V-shaped Bowl Gouge 12V and 16" Handle with 1/2" nose H16-12

Ross

INVENTOR
17th October 2010, 09:07 AM
I have been using Thompson tools for some years ( since Glaser tools stopped being sold) they certainly are good ( not as good as the top of the range Glaser was)
So its a good time to buy.
The handles, however do not seem so attractive a concept to me. IMO, too limiting in their design given the price, even if they are cheaper at the moment.
I prefer the Kelton ER 2516 system, which is available in Australia from distributors ( via a forum sponsor - no connection) and has a lot more useful features.

kelton Industries tools online (http://www.kelton.co.nz/index_store.html)
http://www.woodworkingwarehouse.com.au/webshop/EWWCatalog.csp?Category=Woodworking_Accessories&ID=ECM||205662

DICK (http://www.dick-gmbh.de/) ( search under Kelton)

NeilS
17th October 2010, 12:09 PM
I've started to think about the best way to handle the payment side of things.

Drawing on Ern's experience last time (and one other bulk buy he organised) he recommends the funds be paid before the order is placed, including a small buffer to cover exchange rate movements and PayPal fees. It's very difficult to know what the actual exchange rate and fees will be in advance of placing the order. Last time Ern found he had to do a second whip around to cover all of his costs.

So, based on Ern's experience I think I'll do it this way:

Payment 1: To cover the tool purchase price converted to A$ based on an 'initial' exchange rate + expected PayPal fee. I'll set the 'initial' exchange rate when I close off the orders so I can calculate and give everyone their Payment 1 amount.

Payment 2: To cover local postage costs + or - any variation between the the 'initial' exchange rate and the actual exchange rate that applied at the time of making the US$ payment.

I will provide my bank account details for the funds transfers which I will provide via personal emails before that needs to happen.

I'll also start collecting your real world names and address details via Private Messages in preparation for the mail out for when the tools arrive.

Big Shed
17th October 2010, 04:32 PM
Neil, Paypal doesn't charge a fee to the buyer (only to the seller), but their exchange rate is usually about 2-3 points below the published daily rate, as is Visa and Mastercard. The credit card companies then also charge a foreign exchange fee on top of that.

So, if the exchange rate on the day is .99 then if you work on .96 you will be pretty close to the mark.

rsser
17th October 2010, 04:58 PM
I would suggest that Neil add 5% and if it comes in under that and anyone cares, he could refund them.

Of course the exchange rate is going to vary between up-front payment and the wash-up. Some commentators are even suggesting AUD1 to USD 1.10! Woohoo!

On a related matter, having sat in on a demo by Guilio M. today at the Woodshow: he reckoned a U flute was easier to control in bowl hollowing mode. Something to think about.

NeilS
17th October 2010, 09:15 PM
Neil, Paypal doesn't charge a fee to the buyer (only to the seller), but their exchange rate is usually about 2-3 points below the published daily rate, as is Visa and Mastercard. The credit card companies then also charge a foreign exchange fee on top of that.

So, if the exchange rate on the day is .99 then if you work on .96 you will be pretty close to the mark.

Thanks Big Shed, that is what I was referring to as a 'fee'. Anyway, that explains why we have to add about 3% (or 5% as suggested by Ern). Either way, Payment 2 will be adjusted for the actual exchange rate spread. I'm not wanting to end up with more than it's cost me, just for it to be revenue neutral.

If we knew if and when we are going to reach AUD1 to USD 1.10 we could wait until then...:U

rsser
18th October 2010, 07:57 AM
FWIW for my bulk buy the cost was a tad higher than the PP published exchange rate and I got no sense out of them when I challenged it.

rsser
18th October 2010, 08:01 AM
Neil, pls put me down for

1 x 3/8" shallow detail gouge
1 x 5/8" U bowl gouge (Doug expects to have stock shortly)

Many thanks

Bazza
18th October 2010, 09:07 AM
Neil pls put me down for

1x1/2" Spindle gouge

1x5/8" V Bowl gouge

Thank you
Barry

NeilS
18th October 2010, 02:21 PM
Ern has sent me his spreadsheet from the last order (thanks Ern) and I have now moved this updated list into that.

hughie - Mark St.Leger's 5/8 SRG and Shallow Detail Gouge - 3/8"
letzzzgo - 5/8" V bowl gouge
turnerted - 3/8 detail gouge
powderpost - 1/2" spindle gouge
Ross - 1/2" V-shaped Bowl Gouge and 16" Handle with 1/2" nose
rsser - 3/8" shallow detail gouge and 5/8" U bowl gouge
Bazza - 1/2" Spindle gouge and 5/8" V Bowl gouge

At this morning's exchange rate of A$0.9841 we are well into a second parcel based on the $1000 import duty threshold, but not sure about the weight or state distribution. Will wait until all the requests and postal details are in before doing a breakdown on that.

crow400
18th October 2010, 05:26 PM
Neil,
Please put me down for a 1/2 " U bowl gouge.
Thank you,
Bruce

Sawdust Maker
18th October 2010, 08:08 PM
I'd like a 3/4" U shaped bowl gouge, please

I may also add later if I'm feeling frivolous :D

Thanks

NeilS
18th October 2010, 11:05 PM
I'd like a 3/4" U shaped bowl gouge, please

Please put me down for a 1/2 " U bowl gouge.

Both of these have been added to the spreadsheet.

I'll post the spreadsheet here towards the end of the week for everyone to check before we proceed.

wood hacker
19th October 2010, 02:49 PM
Hi Neil

Put me down for a 1/4" detail gouge and a 3/8" Spindle gouge.

cheers
WH

NeilS
19th October 2010, 02:56 PM
Hi Neil

cheers
WH

Done

wood hacker
19th October 2010, 10:48 PM
Hi Neil

cheers
WH

Ah to heck with it, the chancellor of the exchequer is looking the other way so I'll have a 1/2" V shaped bowl gouge as well please Neil.

NeilS
19th October 2010, 11:50 PM
Ah to heck with it, the chancellor of the exchequer is looking the other way so I'll have a 1/2" V shaped bowl gouge as well please Neil.

:D... Done

joevan
22nd October 2010, 12:07 AM
Hello Neils,
Can you please put me down for a 1-1/4" scraper.

Many thanks

Joe v K.

NeilS
22nd October 2010, 09:22 AM
Hello Neils,
Can you please put me down for a 1-1/4" scraper.

Many thanks

Joe v K.

Done

NeilS
22nd October 2010, 05:40 PM
Looks like all those that intend to throw their hat into the ring have done so. I'll post a spreadsheet this evening so everyone can check that I have their requests recorded accurately.

There is some other stuff that has to be sorted out before we pull the trigger and I'll cover that in another posting, but before that I need to get an idea of participant's preferences on an A$/US$ buy price.

The A$ has eased back since this thread began, currently A$1 buys US$0.984. As the thread began with expectations of buying at or above parity I need to get a feel for what the group would like to happen. Do we wait until it recovers to parity, wait until we are above parity to cover forex fees or just get on with it regardless of the exchange rate. After all we are only likely to talking about a few dollars in every $100, either way .

To get your views, I'm running a poll for participants with the following options:

Don't buy below US$0.98
Buy as close to parity as possible
Buy at US$1.03 to cover forex fees
Proceed to buy ASAP at whatever the exchange rate

Thanks

rsser
22nd October 2010, 08:08 PM
Thanks Neil.

Great final option ... woohoo, here comes my new Porsche!

That aside, I'd prefer to jump now but don't much care.

You're being meticulous which is to your credit but 20% either way wouldn't fuss me.

NeilS
22nd October 2010, 08:54 PM
Attached is the Excel spreadsheet with everyone's requests. Pleased check that I have yours recorded accurately.

I will PM everyone with my bank details ready for your 1st funds transfers as soon as I know that Doug can supply all of the orders. He is currently away at a symposium so it might be a few days before he can confirm that all orders can be met.

We will strike the first payment at parity, e.g. if your total is US$80 your first payment would be A$80. Remember your second payment will be adjusted up or down for the actual cost (including exchange fees) + postage within Australia.

Postal addresses are needed shortly, and definitely before the tools are dispatched from the US. It looks like we will have at least two parcels coming from Doug, which would enable us to land them at strategic locations within Australia to minimise interstate postal charges. I have some of your addresses, as marked on the spreadsheet, but need those marked 'N'. I'm sure I can find one for you, Ern.

Please Private Message me your postal address if you are an 'N'.

Thanks

Sawdust Maker
22nd October 2010, 09:06 PM
I see that Ozkaban is not a buyer this time
do you want me to be the Sydney delivery address?
I don't mind as I'll be home full-time soonish

NeilS
23rd October 2010, 11:04 AM
I see that Ozkaban is not a buyer this time
do you want me to be the Sydney delivery address?
I don't mind as I'll be home full-time soonish

Thanks Nick for the offer. Not all addresses in yet so the distribution pattern is not fully clear, but it is starting to look like Nth (QLD/NSW) and Sth (VIC/SA/TAS) redistribution locations. If the balance tips in favour of NSW over QLD I'll be back in contact with you on being the NSW/QLD distributor.

Wood Hacker has also kindly offered to do the distribution if we end up with more tools going QLD way.

So, Sawdust Maker, you are a currency trader? Didn't know that sawdust was such a tradable commodity...:D

rsser
23rd October 2010, 12:06 PM
FWIW last time around Dave and I used Auspost satchels, either 500g or 3000g, so we didn't have to calculate by destination, just by weight, and that made things a lot simpler. Most posts were 500g so about $6.

NeilS
23rd October 2010, 01:22 PM
FWIW last time around Dave and I used Auspost satchels, either 500g or 3000g, so we didn't have to calculate by destination, just by weight, and that made things a lot simpler. Most posts were 500g so about $6.

Thanks for reminding me of that, Ern. Of course, we don't need to factor in the distances if we use the Auspost satchels. That will make the decision on where to land the US parcels simpler. I guess the exception will be any pickups and the longer handles (not sure if they will fit in any of the satchels, but will check on that).

I can see that your original spreadsheet lists the weights of the different Thompson tools which will help with satchel selection.

Thanks

Sawdust Maker
23rd October 2010, 07:25 PM

So, Sawdust Maker, you are a currency trader? Didn't know that sawdust was such a tradable commodity...:D

Shush :seald:
Keep it to yourself - not many people know :q

crow400
24th October 2010, 07:56 AM
PM address sent.
Regards,
Bruce

NeilS
24th October 2010, 10:35 AM
shush :seald:
Keep it to yourself - not many people know :q

: -}

crow400
24th October 2010, 10:50 AM
Neil, it's OK with me whenever you place the order. A few cents either way on the exchange rate won't buy any more single malt.
Bruce

bobsreturn2003
26th October 2010, 09:03 AM
Just got a couple of bowl gouges went direct as post in australia is nearly the same ! they are great gouges enjoy Bob

NeilS
26th October 2010, 11:03 AM
Still waiting for Doug to get back to confirm that all of the requested tools are still available. As soon as I get that I will Private Message everyone with my bank account details for Payment 1.

Looks like our poll results favour a buy ASAP, but did notice that the A$ is back up to US99c again this morning so we might come close to meeting almost everyone's preference there.

The New South Welshmen are the bulk of the buyers this time, so will take up Sawdust Maker's kind offer to be one of the distributors. Something to keep him busy in early retirement... maybe an excuse for a Sydney gathering of fourumites...:)

Not sure if it will be two packages or three from US. I have to work that out with Doug... it's a bit of a weight/value/distribution equation. If it's three, I will take up Ern's kind offer (again) to receive and distribute one of the packages.

Thanks

NeilS
26th October 2010, 04:45 PM
OK, I've heard back from Doug and it's all systems go!

A PM is on the way with my bank details.

A new Excel spreadsheet is attached, showing what you need to transfer for Payment 1. To make it simple please pay the same in A$s as is shown as your total in US$s. We will sort out the swings and merry-go-round on exchange rate, etc., with Payment 2 before we post on to you...:D

Thanks again to Sawdust Maker for taking on one of the parcels.

NeilS
30th October 2010, 08:56 PM
OK, we are underway.

All First Payments have been received and the funds were transferred to Doug this morning.

The exchange rate at the time was 0.9836c

The total cost of the tools was US$1,820

The cost of the conversion, including the PayPal fee, was A$1902.93. An increment of 4.56%. This is the percentage that will be used to calculate the shortfall for your final payment.

When we have received the tools and worked out the satchel postage cost for each participant I will PM you with your final payment amount and we can then get the goodies to you.

Thanks everyone for making the process run so smoothly.

rsser
31st October 2010, 03:59 PM
Thanks for all this work Neil. Much appreciated.

And to Nick for the impending redistribution.

In due course I'm keen to hear from folk about how they found Doug's handles.

I had to restrain myself on this order and would like to hear that they are rubbish but suspect that Doug doesn't do rubbish.

Last time, I got a bit of Doug's unshaped 3/8" rod, thinking to do an Oland tool, a round skew or a 3 point tool. That's an itch that will be scratched soon.

One of the parts of faceplate turning that's always given me trouble is the clean-up just on the outside of a bowl foot. I shape the foot with a parting tool which doesn't do much for a clean finish. I've been coming down to the outside of the foot with a 3/8 spindle gouge, just the last 1/2" or so. Raffan uses a spear-point scraper.

Having seen Guilio at the Show use a skew as a negative rake scraper for similar purposes, I tried it on the 2nd bowl off the new lathe, a bit of Camphor Laurel, and it worked a treat.

Sawdust Maker
31st October 2010, 07:17 PM
Thanks for all this work Neil. Much appreciated.

And to Nick for the impending redistribution.

In due course I'm keen to hear from folk about how they found Doug's handles.

I had to restrain myself on this order and would like to hear that they are rubbish but suspect that Doug doesn't do rubbish.

Last time, I got a bit of Doug's unshaped 3/8" rod, thinking to do an Oland tool, a round skew or a 3 point tool. That's an itch that will be scratched soon.

One of the parts of faceplate turning that's always given me trouble is the clean-up just on the outside of a bowl foot. I shape the foot with a parting tool which doesn't do much for a clean finish. I've been coming down to the outside of the foot with a 3/8 spindle gouge, just the last 1/2" or so. Raffan uses a spear-point scraper.

Having seen Guilio at the Show use a skew as a negative rake scraper for similar purposes, I tried it on the 2nd bowl off the new lathe, a bit of Camphor Laurel, and it worked a treat.

Wot ... they aren't mine :doh:

The skew as a negative rake scraper - shall I ask to demonstrate? I've no idea what you are getting at

Sawdust Maker
31st October 2010, 07:23 PM

This reminds me
a big thankyou to Doug for being a mate to us blokes across the pond :2tsup:

PS: I'm not expecting rubbish, but I could say they are just to make you feel better
On second thoughts, maybe not, my vote isn't for sale.

NeilS
3rd November 2010, 11:27 AM
Our tools shipped last night.

There was a brief delay in getting them away as Doug had to get some bigger boxes...:U

Will keep you posted on progress.

Ta, Ern. You know as well as anyone what's involved. Having been the beneficiary of your efforts last time, it is only fair that I take my turn at cranking the handle.

Will let you know how I find the Thompson handles. I'm also getting some Hughie handles, so can do a comparison and see how they both stack up against my curtain rail and chair leg specials...:rolleyes:

Ross
3rd November 2010, 07:55 PM
Nick

I'm coming over for the GTG on the 10th, if it's ok with you I'll pick up my order then (if it arrives in time).

Ross

Doug Thompson
4th November 2010, 01:46 AM
Computer crashed :o and just got back online. The two packages were shipped yesterday priority mail so 7 to 10 days they should be in oz. Thanks again for the placing the order.

texx
4th November 2010, 07:53 AM
i wanted to get in on this buy , but for reasons i wont bother you with i never quite made it .
but i will in the next week or so order a couple just have to make up my mind which couple:D
johno

NeilS
4th November 2010, 09:27 AM
Computer crashed :o and just got back online. The two packages were shipped yesterday priority mail so 7 to 10 days they should be in oz. Thanks again for placing the order.

And, many thanks Doug for a very easy and pleasant transaction from our end.

Much appreciated

NeilS
4th November 2010, 10:24 AM
Nick

I'm coming over for the GTG on the 10th, if it's ok with you I'll pick up my order then (if it arrives in time).

Ross

Ross - if they don't arrive before the Sydney GTG on the 10th, give Nick your postal address so he can post them on to you.

I have the postal address for everyone else, thanks.

NeilS
13th November 2010, 02:23 PM
All First Payments have been received and the funds were transferred to Doug this morning.

The exchange rate at the time was 0.9836c

The total cost of the tools was US$1,820

The cost of the conversion, including the PayPal fee, was A$1902.93. An increment of 4.56%. This is the percentage that will be used to calculate the shortfall for your final payment.

When we have received the tools and worked out the satchel postage cost for each participant I will PM you with your final payment amount and we can then get the goodies to you.

Sawdust Maker has received his parcel and everything is OK...:)

I expect to get my parcel on Monday.

I was going to PM everyone with their second and final payment amount, but it is quicker if I just post the spreadsheet here with all the details. So, please look at the attached 2nd Payment spreadsheet for your final payment amount.

If you could get those 2nd payments rolling in we can get your tools away to you.

Thanks

rsser
13th November 2010, 02:45 PM
Done.

Thanks Neil.

Ross
13th November 2010, 03:46 PM
Done

Thanks

Neil and Nick

turnerted
13th November 2010, 04:36 PM
Neil
I can't open the second payment spreadsheet . Sorry about my computer ignorance . Could you just PM with how much I owe and I'll get it off to you .
Ted

wood hacker
13th November 2010, 06:49 PM
Done

And many thanks.

cheers
WH

Sawdust Maker
13th November 2010, 07:12 PM
Done

Thanks

Neil and Nick

Ross

Your handle looks interesting
I might just have to give it a tryout before you pick it up :D
Of course I'll have to use your Thompson bowl gouge as mine won't fit :doh:
Can you pick up, say, 1st or 2nd week of December? :U Or even sometime in January :2tsup:

Ross
13th November 2010, 08:30 PM
Be very very carefull I know were you live!

Ross

NeilS
14th November 2010, 09:35 AM
Neil
I can't open the second payment spreadsheet . Sorry about my computer ignorance . Could you just PM with how much I owe and I'll get it off to you .
Ted

PM sent.

hughie
14th November 2010, 10:49 AM
If you could get those 2nd payments rolling in we can get your tools away to you.

Done, and thanks for all the effort put into it . :2tsup:

hughie

pommyphil
14th November 2010, 11:42 AM
Dollars sent, thanks again Neil :2tsup: Cheers Phil

Sawdust Maker
14th November 2010, 01:34 PM
Thought I'd take a piccy of all the tools that arrived Friday

The second photo has each tool identified by purchaser name

153072 153073

Hughie
I'm curious, why the St Leger?

Brett
Not sure your handle will fit in a prepaid bag, it might be too long to go diagonally so may have to come up with plan B! If I have trouble I'll PM you.

Ross
14th November 2010, 01:56 PM
Tool tease.

Zedicus
14th November 2010, 03:08 PM
Nice photos thanks Sawdust Maker. I'm glad you put them up. Exciting times!!!:D

rsser
14th November 2010, 03:09 PM
Looking at those handles is inciting a certain degree of tool lust :-

Swino
14th November 2010, 03:43 PM
second transfer completed.

hughie
14th November 2010, 07:58 PM
Hughie
I'm curious, why the St Leger?

Well I had a McJing roughing gouge which looked like a folded or bent flat bar into a rough gouge shape, the wings were flat. I gave it away with my old MC1100 as it would not keep much of an edge.

The St Leger gouge supposedly has some aspect on the wings that allows you to plane like a skew. Something that was feasible with the McJing.

Sawdust Maker
14th November 2010, 08:34 PM

The handles are a good fit to my hand
They are 8 sided with each second side rounded
these second sides are a little less in width then the smooth side
They contain lead shot, not full, but I suppose you could play with balance
as I said quite comfortable (I've a 9" span)
I did think they'd be a bugger to warm up on a cold dreary day if you lived in a chilly place like, say, Canberra, Cooma etc

Whilst I understand the idea of having an interchangeable handle, I think I'll keep all mine permanently handled in good aussie hardwood

PS I'd give you a more fullsome rundown of one in action but Ross seems to have declined my offer to trial his purchase :C

powderpost
14th November 2010, 10:41 PM
Second transfer done... and thank you for your efforts.
Jim

NeilS
14th November 2010, 11:05 PM

You never know, Ern, I may not get to love mine... in which case there might be secondhand sale coming up....:rolleyes:

letzzzgo
14th November 2010, 11:23 PM
Neil

Second transfer complete ... thanks!

Cheers, John

joevan
15th November 2010, 08:20 PM
Hello Neil

The second transfer has been done.

Regards and many thanks,

Joe v K.

Brett Hammond
15th November 2010, 08:38 PM
Neil

Second payment done

Thanks

Brett

rsser
16th November 2010, 04:38 PM
Neil, first dibs in that unlikely event.

FWIW I only use modular handles with the specialised hollowers. Both are a motley crew.

NeilS
16th November 2010, 07:04 PM
Hmmm... no parcel today...:no:

Don't know why they keep sending stuff to Adelaide via Perth, via Darwin, via Christmas Is???

Hopefully, tomorrow.

NeilS
17th November 2010, 12:05 PM
Hmmm... no parcel today...:no:

Don't know why they keep sending stuff to Adelaide via Perth, via Darwin, via Christmas Is???

Hopefully, tomorrow.

And, not today...:~

Have emailed Doug for a tracking number so I can check to see what is happening.

rsser
17th November 2010, 01:13 PM
No sweat Neil.

Once I bought XC ski boots from an online shop in Southern France. Boy did that box take an odd route to get to Oz.

Sawdust Maker
17th November 2010, 09:06 PM
evening all

I posted packages to the following forumites this arvo:

Drillit
chambezio
Brett Hammon
Pommyphil
hughie
turnerted
crow400
Powderpost
Zedicus

Most were sent by prepaid satchel. Brett yours is in a slightly used post tube.

Ross picked up his handle and steel about lunchtime.

Ern,
I doubt you'll get to exercise your 'first dibs' on the handle, Ross seemed to like it.

Hughie
I had to stop Ross from trying out your St Leger :o. Not really, but he had a good look at it. Subject to your thoughts on it, I'm pretty sure he'll get one next order. To my mind the profile isn't much different form the P&N roughing gouge. Let us know how you find it

I hope you all get your parcels without mishap

Happy turning

Zedicus
17th November 2010, 10:03 PM
Thanks Sawdust Maker.
I will post on the forum when mine arrives. I'm sure good old Australia Post will get all the parcels to their intended recipients without problem. Well, I've never had any problems with them :rolleyes:.

Having said that, I assume Aust Post takes control of the parcels from USA once they hit our shores:doh:? I hope the other package from Doug arrives soon. Tomorrow would be nice!

Doug Thompson
18th November 2010, 08:33 AM
I was able to track the other package down today, it just landed on the shores of oz. Why or I should say how can two packages be sent at the same time arrive more than a week apart.

NeilS
18th November 2010, 09:42 AM
I was able to track the other package down today, it just landed on the shores of oz. Why or I should say how can two packages be sent at the same time arrive more than a week apart.

Thanks Doug for the follow up.

The usual delivery time for parcels from Sydney to Adelaide is three days, so looks like it will be next week before I can re-dispatch them.

Good to have Doug confirm that I've not had the tools and been playing with them before sending them on...:U

Parcel delivery from the US is a bit of a mystery at the moment. Recently I had another a parcel from the US (via FedEx) take three weeks to get to this side of the pond and that was supposed to be a 5 business day delivery. Maybe QANTAS is borrowing engines from their cargo fleet to keep their passenger fleet in the air...:roll:

pommyphil
18th November 2010, 10:00 AM
My gouge arrived, :2tsup: thanks Neil and Nick :D I'm off to make a handle.

Phil

Sawdust Maker
18th November 2010, 11:30 AM
My gouge arrived, :2tsup: thanks Neil and Nick :D I'm off to make a handle.

Phil

Jees that was quick
show us a piccy when you've handled it

pommyphil
18th November 2010, 03:10 PM
Got out to the shed and found a Henry Taylor handle I'd pulled of a roughing gouge

cos it was to short, but ideal for a spindle gouge. Not Rose Oak, but it works.

turnerted
18th November 2010, 04:30 PM
My gouge turned up about midday .
Thanks to all who were involved.

Ted

hughie
18th November 2010, 05:05 PM
I was able to track the other package down today, it just landed on the shores of oz. Why or I should say how can two packages be sent at the same time arrive more than a week apart

Murphy, Doug :U.

Mine arrived to day, all good, thanks Neil and Nick thanks for all your effort :2tsup: