PDA

View Full Version : Moisture content

Islander
16th October 2010, 08:50 AM
Good morning all.

We have a fine day. The sun last seen about 2 weeks back is shining. I have a question?
I have recently received some olive wood. I also was very lucky that the finance minister allowed me to buy a timber moisture meter. The two pin type.
1) What is a good moisture content to turn timber "dry" so that if you do a pen blank you can glue the brass tube in without it shrinking, warping or doing anything else weird and wonderfull.
2) If turning a pen blank green and with the hole in the middle already drilled, the brass tube glued in place, will it shrink or again do anything weird and wonderfull.

Some intense answeres and study will be appreciated as I am going to do one green one this morning and see my observations. I also have a microwave oven installed in the shed now. If I cut the pen blanks do I still have to seal both ends before I dry them in the oven and for how long on speed defrost??????:?:?

Any help, advise etc is greatly appreciated.

Your, forever gratefull,:) wood turning compadre':D

Rog

rsser
16th October 2010, 10:39 AM
"Dry" means Equilibrium Moisture Content which up your way is prob around 14% depending on the season.

The pin type meters need to be set acc to wood type as density etc will vary the reading; simplest way is to keep measuring as the wood dries and when it stops dropping you're at EMC.

For any fine fitting together, you do want it at that point, not 'green'.

Good luck.

Islander
16th October 2010, 06:41 PM
Many thanks. I had it at 15% and now am down to 10%. Given the veriation allowed of 2.4% I reckon I am at the "dry" point. I was just wondering about the sealing of ends as I am experiencieng cracks

Regards

Rog

rsser
16th October 2010, 08:45 PM
Yes, sealing the ends slows evap from the end grain and reduces unequal shrinkage tensions.