PDA

View Full Version : A bit disappointed

Grumpy John
17th October 2010, 08:05 AM
One of my purchases at this years T&WWW Show was a Vicmarc 150mm Faceplate ring. When I got it home and removed it from the plastic and cleaned the anti-rust off it I was surprised to find several small dents on it. Not only was it slightly damaged but none of the screw holes had been de-burred and there was a razor sharp burr on the inside diameter. I can easily remove the burrs and the small dents are not an issue (I will probably put worse scratches in it in the years to come), but I hope that this is a one off and that Vicmarc's high standards are not falling.

P.S. I should add that I also purchased a Step Jaw Set and this was the usual high standard that I expect from Vicmarc products.

Ed Reiss
17th October 2010, 12:14 PM
John...you should probably notify Vicmark about the ring issues.
Hopefully their not going down the same road as Teknatool:doh:

rsser
17th October 2010, 04:07 PM
Disappointing yes, but just an oversight at a guess.

Humans have an error rate.

Big Shed
17th October 2010, 04:24 PM

Yep, but that is what final QC is supposed to catch. Like GJ said, it is disappointing that this sort of thing gets past QC at a factory with the reputation of Vicmarc.

Perhaps these come out of China?

Vicmarc are starting to source some of their components from overseas (castings for the lathe beds from Thailand?), perhaps they are going the Teknatool route, heaven forbid.

rsser
17th October 2010, 04:37 PM
No, Vic told me today that they continue to manufacture in Aus.

Yes, it is disappointing as I said.

By all means send them a rocket GJ; that said, if we don't continue to support local makers the only choice left will be very variable quality from China.

Sturdee
17th October 2010, 06:52 PM

Probably an oversight as I bought two 90mm faceplate rings at the show and they are okay. Incidently I bought a 70mm on Friday which didn't fit and Carrolls exchanged the next day without any hassles.

Peter.

Grumpy John
17th October 2010, 06:53 PM
John...you should probably notify Vicmark about the ring issues.
Hopefully their not going down the same road as Teknatool:doh:

Ed, if I had opened the packaging whilst at the show I would have shown the item to Vic as he was at the show.

I'm sure you're right Ern, it is no bother to de-burr the screw holes and remove the sharp edge, but if my next Vicmarc purchase is not of the usual high standard I'll certainly be sending an email.

Sawdust Maker
17th October 2010, 07:36 PM
... but if my next Vicmarc purchase is not of the usual high standard I'll certainly be sending an email.

Actually, I'd suggest you tell them now. Ok it's not a big deal, but I'm sure they'd like to know of any dissatisfaction whenever it comes up.

steck
17th October 2010, 07:56 PM
I agree! This is not the quality we expect from Vicmarc. I bought one some time ago and it was excellently finished.

rsser
17th October 2010, 07:57 PM
Yeah, I agree with Nick.

They need to know if they want to remain competitive, and I'm sure you'll get a good response.

joe greiner
17th October 2010, 09:12 PM
S*** happens. And they need to know.

Final inspection could be subject to lots of distractions. The fix might be as simple as providing an empty bottle at the inspection station; a variation of the "motorman's friend." BTDT.:D

Cheers,
Joe

brendan stemp
18th October 2010, 09:03 AM
Vicmarc are very concerned about two things: quality and customer satisfaction. It is important they know of your concerns so they can rectify the situation and make sure the customer ( in this case you, GJ) is, ultimately, satisfied. You will find them very receptive to your problem and keen to fix it.

rsser
18th October 2010, 10:42 AM
Yes, after my lathe damage during transit, I couldn't fault their responsiveness (or Brendan's).

The test of customer service is what a crowd does when there's a problem.

(PS, re the lathe damage, it was determined that the thing had been dropped somewhere in shipping and the carrier's insurance coughed up. I got a brand new lathe. Compared to the other brand, it has the novel feature of being able to drill a hole with Jacob's chuck in the tailstock and the hole is not oval or two sizes bigger than the bit!).

As an aside, some local makers and retailers have been doing it hard since the GFC. My EER (Ern's Economic Stimulus Plan) should be making a positive difference ;-}

Sawdust Maker
18th October 2010, 07:55 PM
GJ
we would be all interested in their response :D

FRB Design
18th October 2010, 08:05 PM
GJ

One would be, ( Wish you would have given us a call first before splashing it over the internet )

Regards,

Frank

Grumpy John
18th October 2010, 11:33 PM
GJ

I rang Vicmarc when I got home from work this arvo. And talked to a gentleman (Mario, I think) and we had a discussion about how things occasionally slipped through the cracks. He told me that he would check it out, but we both agreed that it was probably a 1 off and left it at that.

bookend
19th October 2010, 01:09 AM
I rang Vicmarc when I got home from work this arvo. And talked to a gentleman (Mario, I think) and we had a discussion about how things occasionally slipped through the cracks. He told me that he would check it out, but we both agreed that it was probably a 1 off and left it at that.

Ah! So you got the "that's a shame. Oh well- it needs a good looking into" talk. You can get the same approach at Bunnings from staff there when they're busy.

Don't get me wrong- I have Vicmarc gear and love it. But mine is from 2008 and earlier.

I'll still buy more of their gear but easy responses are dangerous. Mario?'s response according to the comment above, says that you can't always trust Vicmarc as things slip through cracks.

You will find them very receptive to your problem and keen to fix it.

It also seems to lack a sense of responsibility as I can't see any offer to fix anything based on the above post.

Grumpy John
19th October 2010, 07:37 AM
:aro-u:
That's a bit harsh, on Vicmarc and Bunnings. Did you expect them to fall to the floor begging forgiveness and send me a free VL175 to compensate. At least I received a call back and was able to discuss the situation with the manufacturer, something sadly lacking with other manufacturers.

bookend
20th October 2010, 02:15 AM
:aro-u:
That's a bit harsh, on Vicmarc and Bunnings. Did you expect them to fall to the floor begging forgiveness and send me a free VL175 to compensate. At least I received a call back and was able to discuss the situation with the manufacturer, something sadly lacking with other manufacturers.

I'd love a bonus lathe and a good grovel would just be icing on the cake. :D.

As a manufacturer, if I was serious about quality control, I'd be interested in seeing the faceplate ring. I probably would replace it as dents in manufacture could mean the ring doesn't sit true. This, however, would not affect any ability to turn accurately.

As a turner, for me in your situation,it would have a constant cringe factor. I am the only one allowed to dent my stuff. I don't expect to buy it pre-dented :oo:. A ring replacement, as opposed to a lathe, is reasonably cheap and just good PR.

Vicmarc, I have been led to believe, prides itself on its engineering. Maybe I am a bit harsh or a bit naive but I expect better, especially over something relatively inexpensive. This thread advertises Vicmarc. Is it worth the cost of a faceplate ring when people google Vicmarc?

It appears that you are satisfied with the response from Vicmark though. If this is the case, there is no reason for me to say any more.:2tsup: