PDA

View Full Version : My first bowl

ozhunter
17th October 2010, 10:29 PM
Here are some pics of my first bowl.

The timber is from the 2nd hand shop in town that was cutting down some trees (Elm?) and he gave be a bunch of it.

The dark ring in the base is where I made a blew when turning the inside, went too deep, made turning off the tenon interesting. You can see daylight through it:-

I don't know why I didn't turn the foot properly to start with:doh:

I turned it green a couple of weeks ago and used the soak in metho then store in a paper bag, weighing each day until it weighed the same, method.

The chip out of the rim is from where it frisbeed out of the faceplate recess when I had a catch turning off the foot.

Apologies for the poor photo's, as a photographer, I make a good farmer.

oz

artme
18th October 2010, 06:43 AM
Nice one Oz.:):):)

You learned a lot in turning that.

tea lady
18th October 2010, 09:09 AM
:2tsup: NIce one. Nice flowing lines and pleasing shape. Fair size too. Turning green is fun isn't it. :cool:

ozhunter
18th October 2010, 10:01 AM
artme. I did learn a bit.

TL. It was fun turning the green wood. Shavings flying everywhere. Trueing the blank took a bit of work though. I'm not goping turn anymore of it till I get my bandsaw.

oz

tea lady
18th October 2010, 10:11 AM
artme. I did learn a bit.

TL. It was fun turning the green wood. Shavings flying everywhere. Trueing the blank took a bit of work though. I'm not goping turn anymore of it till I get my bandsaw.

oz:D chicken! But must admit i prefer them to be a bit round. If I turn unbalanced things in my lathe at home everything falls off the bench. :doh: At 's Its OK cos his lathes are a bit heavier and don't jump around so much. :rolleyes::cool:

rsser
18th October 2010, 11:02 AM
A fine first effort Ozhunter.

Yes, it has some of the qualities of English Elm but the stuff I've turned has had chocolate colour heartwood and cream sapwood. Maybe your dig cam has distorted the colours a bit?

We'll be turning some on Thurs at the Melb weekdays turner group and will post some pics.

Just as an aside, there were some dry blanks of the stuff at the Show yesterday going for some steep prices.

ozhunter
18th October 2010, 11:24 AM
Ern

I just looked at the rest of the blanks and they have chocolate a coloured heart and creamy coloured sapwood.

I don't remember what the orientation of this bowl was on the blank though, I think it was orientated correctly but I don't know.. When I get my bandsaw, I'm going to have a go at another one and let the rest season, we'll see what comes out then.

Here are a couple of pics of another bowl I made last night. It is an off cut of some timber I bought to make my saw horses, I think it's hoop pine, but not sure.

cheers

orraloon
18th October 2010, 11:33 AM
That's a pretty good first bowl. Good size,good shape and nice thin wall.
Regards
John

orraloon
18th October 2010, 11:36 AM
That other bowl is good. You are getting the hang of it.

Manuka Jock
18th October 2010, 11:43 AM
looking good Oz :2tsup:
nice wood too.

'course , you're not a real bowl turner until you have turned right thru the base and made a donut :p

ozhunter
18th October 2010, 11:50 AM
Jock

I came within less than half a mm of doing just that with the first one.

Thanks for the comments.

I really enjoy using the lathe. It is very, very addictive:2tsup:

oz

rsser
18th October 2010, 12:24 PM
Have turned a good amount of English Elm and never had knots like those or that thickness of sapwood.

Just my 2c worth.

Still a nice bit of work.

Ed Reiss
18th October 2010, 12:30 PM
Terrific first and second efforts Oz :2tsup:

As far as the first one goes, just a little bit more out of the center and it would have made for a nice lampshade:D

tea lady
18th October 2010, 03:17 PM
Have turned a good amount of English Elm and never had knots like those or that thickness of sapwood.
:secret: Is it the seconc one you are looking at? That one's hoop pine.

The hoop pine one is brilliant. Love the placement of the branch nodes.:2tsup:

FWIW, the elm I have turned is more a deep golden colour. :shrug: .

ozhunter
18th October 2010, 09:14 PM
Thanks for all the kind comments.:2tsup:

IDing this timber would be nice. I'll try to get a couple of pics of the bits I have and post them.

I was just now Googleing Elm trees and found a post on here about when our illustrious council cut down a bunch of Elm trees back in 2006.

They cut a few more down back in early Winter of this year. I was away at the time, and by the time I found out most of the timber had gone. I did hear of a local bloke with a mill of some sort got a log of at least 1 metre in diameter and 2 or so long and solid from what I hear and slabbed it, council must have softened or he knew somebody. I know him and when I can find him, I'll see what he did with it.

Cheers

oz

ozhunter
18th October 2010, 09:43 PM
Here are a couple of photos of a piece of the same tree that the first bowl came from.

Any ideas?

rowie
20th November 2010, 03:27 AM
I would say Chinese Elm

Alessandro Erpi
20th November 2010, 08:36 AM
Wonderfull pieces!!
I like that very much!!