PDA

View Full Version : Exploding Ancient Kauri Bowl

DJ’s Timber
21st October 2010, 01:38 AM
Got commissioned to turn an Ancient Kauri bowl which had to be turned to something similar to a bowl provided by client. All was going well, bottom turned and sanded, inside was down to last few cuts and then bang. As far as I can make out, outer section separated but didn't break off completely, then it parted near centre. Bigger half then decided to launch itself at my left forearm, which is now sporting a bump and before anyone says hey there is a few cracks from where its mounted, it wasn't from that.

Blank did exhibit a few checks as I was turning it and I half expected it to happen, but not as explosively as it happened :o as I was keeping a close eye on it :doh:

150724 150725

Red marks are from dust hood and blue is from tool rest or lathe.

No finish has been applied to bottom at all, that is as is from sanding, has been sanded to 1500 grit using rotary sander and paper from uBeaut (http://www.ubeaut.com.au/rotary1.htm).

Pat
21st October 2010, 04:11 AM
Bugger, substantial wall thickness as well. Would have been a great bowl. Are you going to try to glue it?

rsser
21st October 2010, 06:22 AM
Bummer.

Maybe sitting in a swamp for 40,000 years weakens the timber.

mkypenturner
21st October 2010, 06:45 AM
lucky it didn't hurt you in process of blowing apart
so what now try glueing or try and get another piece ??

artme
21st October 2010, 07:27 AM
Ouch!! Not a good happening at all!:no::no:

RETIRED
21st October 2010, 07:31 AM
Expensive blow out DJ.:(

munruben
21st October 2010, 07:40 AM
Bugger!:(

Enfield Guy
21st October 2010, 07:45 AM
That is a shame, it was looking good as well. At least you didn't get seriously hurt. Might have a bit of a sting in the pocket though I'd reckon.

Cheers

HazzaB
21st October 2010, 09:37 AM
Hey DJ,

On the bright side,(that I can see) there is still enough thichness there to get a couple of Pens :D,

Glad you didn't get hurt too much.

HazzaB

jefferson
21st October 2010, 09:51 AM
DJ - you didn't say which way the pieces flew. I assume some went back, what about the rest.

The last explosion here the piece went straight up and hit the ceiling. (Courtesy of Calm).

Phil Spencer
21st October 2010, 10:40 AM
Had that happen once, half hit me in the belly, and I found the other half lodged in the roof two days later.

DJ’s Timber
21st October 2010, 10:53 AM
Are you going to try to glue it?

No, client has another piece for me.

Expensive blow out DJ.:(

Yep, blank had $250 on it, at least I didn't have to pay for it.

DJ - you didn't say which way the pieces flew. I assume some went back, what about the rest.

One piece came straight at my left arm and the other flew off the other side towards dust hood. The 2 smaller pieces on the left in the photos are still joined together but only just.

Sawdust Maker
21st October 2010, 10:55 AM
ouch :cool:

Ed Reiss
21st October 2010, 11:49 AM
Wood can be replaced...flesh can't:(

Glad it wasn't more serious.

dai sensei
21st October 2010, 11:24 PM
Bad luck there DJ :- Twas looking interesting.

As Hazza says, still some pen blanks in it :U

Rifleman1776
25th October 2010, 07:14 AM
Pity, sorry that happened.
I have heard of kauri but thought it was always deep black from laying the mud all that time.

MAPLEMAN
28th October 2010, 08:52 AM
No, client has another piece for me.

Yep, blank had $250 on it, at least I didn't have to pay for it.

One piece came straight at my left arm and the other flew off the other side towards dust hood. The 2 smaller pieces on the left in the photos are still joined together but only just. $250 for a blank..HOLY COW.Have to be lined with gold,for that price :C

Manuka Jock
28th October 2010, 10:44 AM
Pity, sorry that happened.
I have heard of kauri but thought it was always deep black from laying the mud all that time.
Some is dark , some has a greenish hue to it , some has no apparent darkening.
The old people used some types of swamp mud in the dye process for Harakeke(flax) fiber.

swamp logger
13th January 2011, 07:31 PM
its a hard timber to work with. whats your address ill send you few bits. the 12,000 year old swamp kauri dose not twist and warp like the 45,000 year old wood and i prefer the colour.

rsser
14th January 2011, 03:38 PM
Bravo!

swamp logger
14th January 2011, 07:43 PM
id rather have a piece of mac anyday!

Manuka Jock
14th January 2011, 09:13 PM
id rather have a piece of mac anyday!
poor man's kauri eh :U

JohnAXA
14th January 2011, 09:32 PM
Here is the result of turning a large bamboo water jug... made the eyes water 50 years ago. No kissing for a while.:C

John

swamp logger
16th January 2011, 07:53 PM
so they say. far easier to work with and the older stuff has good color. or should i say bravo! lol