PDA

View Full Version : Identify Timber???

Little Festo
22nd October 2010, 10:29 AM
I have attached a few images of a bowl I have just completed. Can anyone help with identifying the species?? I have been told Pink Ash but not too sure about that.

Peter

wood hacker
22nd October 2010, 11:40 AM
Can't help with the ID but wanted to say it's a very spiffy looking bowl :2tsup:

Ed Reiss
22nd October 2010, 11:58 AM
...not the foggiest!!!

TTIT
22nd October 2010, 02:52 PM
If somebody told me it was Pink Ash, I couldn't argue the point or suggest any alternative - looks very much like it :shrug:

Good to see you're still spinning things Peter!

Sawdust Maker
22nd October 2010, 04:13 PM
Nice bowl

looks like wood to me :p

artme
22nd October 2010, 07:40 PM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:Niiiiiiice!!!

Don't know the tmber and I have never heard of Pink Ash - not that that means much.:q

wood cutter
22nd October 2010, 08:42 PM
:)looks like soap tree alphitonia excelsa common name red ash nice wood prone to cracking

dai sensei
22nd October 2010, 10:21 PM
Beautiful bowl Peter :2tsup:

If you hadn't said Pink Ash, I would have said Mango.

Little Festo
23rd October 2010, 05:22 AM
If somebody told me it was Pink Ash, I couldn't argue the point or suggest any alternative - looks very much like it :shrug:

Good to see you're still spinning things Peter!

Been busy, doing lots of turning. Have to go to Brisbane next week.I have been asked to contribute to an exhibition, "Hands Of The World" at the Francis Rush Centre. It only runs for four days - Opening on Friday night then From Saturday till Tuesday. Saw somewhere you were in Brissy that week???

Forgot to mention that the wood is quite close grained and doesn't seem to be too splitty. Turns quite nicely. Definatly not mango.

Peter

Brett Hammond
23rd October 2010, 07:15 PM
By the photos it looks like Camphor Laurel but that would be to easy as the smell would give it away.

Brett

TTIT
23rd October 2010, 10:25 PM
......... It only runs for four days - Opening on Friday night then From Saturday till Tuesday. Saw somewhere you were in Brissy that week???..............Bugga :C - I fly down on the Wednesday - Murphy must be stalking me again :~

Michael Spain
24th October 2010, 06:35 AM
Hi Little Festo, although I take many years doing furniture, I do not know this wood, :no:imagine that it will be original of Australia, what if I can say to you without being wrong, it is that it is beautiful, you have done a good work, congratulations.:thumbup:

rsser
24th October 2010, 08:25 AM
The colours remind me of a Hakea but it looks too fine grained.

Little Festo
25th October 2010, 08:12 AM
By the photos it looks like Camphor Laurel but that would be to easy as the smell would give it away.

Brett
No Brett,
Definatly not Camphor laurel, I have been turning lots of camphor, no smell and closer grained.

Peter

Gil Jones
25th October 2010, 12:28 PM
I reckon you could tell by the cherry smell, but the wood in your photo looks rather like our Black Cherry.

ogato
25th October 2010, 12:30 PM
Possibly a piece of Cyrilius Dropingova, seems to be a common species round your neck of the woods. Mature species, not too heavy but deceptively strong and 'sinewy'; heartwood with specs of gold. Hope you get more of it
!
OJ

orraloon
25th October 2010, 03:09 PM
Dont know the wood but it looks good.
Very nice bowl.

mic-d
25th October 2010, 04:28 PM
From the first photos it is definitely an alphitonia. Having only seen red ash timber (and it is not quite right for that) I'd have to agree with TTIT and your informant:wink: pink ash.

Cheers
Michael