PDA

View Full Version : General International Chuck

Paul39
23rd October 2010, 08:27 AM
Has anyone used one? I saw one in a shop today & it doesn't look bad and it operated smoothly. I suspect they are sold under many names.

Comments please, good, bad, and ugly.

Web Site: General International 25-605 4-inch Scroll Chuck 4 Jaws for $119.99 at ToolKing.com! (http://www.toolking.com/general-international-25-605-4-inch-scroll-chuck-4-jaws)

joe greiner
23rd October 2010, 08:45 PM
I'm not an enthusiast for chucks with Tommy bars, because it's hard to remember which way they tighten.

For about US$100, Grizzly's Vicmarc clone seems a better deal. It also has available pin jaws and large dovetail jaws at about $20 each set. Uses a T-handle wrench. An unlisted feature is the index holes on the periphery - 24, I think.

Cheers,
Joe

Michael Spain
24th October 2010, 06:25 AM
Hi Paul, concerning accessories, sometimes, the cheap thing costs us expensively,:no: I prefer buying something of recognized mark although the price is a little more expensive, it is my opinion, greetings.:2tsup:

hughie
24th October 2010, 12:37 PM
Paul,
Well I have one that I do not use. Mainly because of the design and I see it as a design fault. They are essentially a three handed chuck, you need two hands to tighten the chuck. :C I never really got so far as to use it or worry about how tight it can grip etc. Its sits on the shelf in the box it came in, never has fired a shot in anger.
I use SN2 chucks with a Tee bar, right hand holds up the blank and the left tightens, all done and dusted in one easy move.

Gil Jones
24th October 2010, 01:56 PM
Paul, I have not used that GI chuck, but I agree with Joe. The Grizzly 4-jaw scroll chuck is maybe $10 less, uses a T-handled Allen key, has 2 other jaw sets for $20 each, is made quite well, is such a good copy of the Vicmarc 100 chuck that the spindle adapter and all VM 100 jaw sets fit it perfectly. I have the VM 100 and the Grizzly chucks and both work fine (VM100 is smoother).
Nuff said I reckon.
Gil

joe greiner
24th October 2010, 08:31 PM
Grizzly's $10 less is for the 1-1/2"-8; the other sizes are $20 less.

Cheers,
Joe

Paul39
25th October 2010, 12:03 PM
Gentlemen,

Thanks for all the comments. I bought a slightly used Hegner 175 some years ago which came with an original Oneway tommy bar chuck and # 2 jaws. I got used to using the left handed monkey wrench, and put a diagram above the lathe showing which way to turn the bars for gripping and expanding. I agree the other system is easier.

I recently bought a short Woodfast with 20 inch swing and spindle thread of 1 1/4 X 8 TPI. I intend to make bowls that will use all 20 inches of swing.

After further research I'm leaning toward the Oneway Stronghold body only for $214.95 and # 4 jaws for $58.95, for a total of $273.90. A fair amount for a retired hobby turner who sells a few turnings.

I don't think the General or the Grizzly chucks are big enough for the Woodfast and the intention of big bowls.

Now that my thinking has gone up in size, any comparisons to the Stronghold? Any chucks as good for less money?

Stronghold Chuck (http://www.oneway.ca/chucks/stronghold.htm)

Gil Jones
25th October 2010, 12:19 PM
Paul,
I cannot speak for the Oneway chucks, though they seem to be made well.
The Supernova 2 works very good for me (I have 4 of them). If you are patient, and wait for Woodcraft to put them on sale (last time was $129 ea) they seem to be well made even though they are made in the PRC. You can buy some fairly large jaws for the SN2.
I also believe that a faceplate is a swell way to turn the larger work, and a dang sight cheaper than a chuck.
Gil

hughie
25th October 2010, 01:28 PM
I cannot speak for the Oneway chucks, though they seem to be made well.
The Supernova 2 works very good for me (I have 4 of them). If you are patient, and wait for Woodcraft to put them on sale (last time was $129 ea) they seem to be well made even though they are made in the PRC. You can buy some fairly large jaws for the SN2.

Yep can vouch for SN2 as I have 5 of them, with the big jaws you are supposed to be able to hold 29", should come close Paul . :U

Paul39
26th October 2010, 04:42 AM
Thanks Gil & Hughie,

The Supernova 2 chuck and jaws look good. It is most helpful to have an endorsement by folks who use them. I will keep putting money in my "crazy money" stash and buy when on sale.

I do use face plates, but there is a bit more efficiency and convenience in having a chuck when doing more than one turning at a time. I have 10 or 15 bowls and weed pots in various states of drying and finishing at the moment.