PDA

View Full Version : Timber Supplies

paulpotter
13th September 2000, 01:16 PM
Hi, I'm new to the woodturning. But having trouble finding a wood supplier in the area I live. I live in the north west suburbs of Melbourne. I am aware of Carbatec in Richmond and The Woodsmith in Bayswater.

Iain
13th September 2000, 01:35 PM
After you have been to Woodsmith in Bayswater head east along Canterbury road and cross over Liverpool Rd, there will be a big grey monolith on your right, This is Adams timber. Good range but a bit on the pricey side. After you have had a look around there head back along Canterbury and turn right into Rooks Rd in Nunawading/Mitcham. About 200-300 metres on your right is a timber place and I cannot remember the bloody name, it is a lot cheaper that Adams and they have a good range and for memory I think they have a scrap box. Rooks Rd joins Canterbury Rd to Maroondah Hwy/Whitehorse Rd.
Someone will read this and tell you the name of the yard that I can't remember.

RETIRED
13th September 2000, 04:56 PM
Gooday.

Mathews Timber is what you are thinking of Iain. http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

Paul, if you are new to turning would suggest that you destroy a lot of firewood and pine fron Mitre 10 or Bunnings before you try on good stuff.

Also join a club or get lessons from some one who knows what it is about before you start.

------------------
Ian () Robertson
"We do good turns every day"

Iain
14th September 2000, 07:49 AM
And now back to 's comment, thanks for the Matthews, I just could not remember it.
Scraps, Bunnings have a scrap box full of rubbish but they want 49 cents a piece for it, I am talking about little slivers of masonite, 6" of fence paling etc.
A bit bloody rude and on this basis my scrap box must be worth several thousand dollars.
Try any timber yard and I am almost certain they will give the scraps to practice on.

jamesy
14th September 2000, 09:11 PM
Paul- Look for an internal stair manufacturer in your phone book. They always have offcuts of intersesting timber that they are ready to give away and you should be able to find sizes for either spindle or face plate turning. After you get into turning .......buy a chainsaw..... and contact either a local tree felling company or the street tree section of your local council, they will supply you with superb timber in managable sizes for free. It saves them on dump fees.