PDA

View Full Version : Bowls for "Hands Of The World" exhibition.

Little Festo
25th October 2010, 08:13 PM
Just a few images of some translucent pine. These are quite thin so didn't need much to show the translucence, just the sun.

All are either Bunya, Hoop or Norfolk Island Pine.

I've also included a few fluted bowls too. The first is Camphor Laurel - from a huge tree and the other is Black Wattle.

All comments welcome.

I am part of an exhibition - "Hands Of The World" in Brisbane over this week end.

Peter

Enfield Guy
25th October 2010, 08:28 PM
So where abouts is the exhibition being held. Nice work there!!

Cheers

RETIRED
25th October 2010, 08:43 PM
I see a "Hand of the World" in this shot. :roflmao: 151077

Nice work.

La truciolara
25th October 2010, 09:09 PM
they are all superb!
Thanks for showing these beautiful art work

dai sensei
25th October 2010, 09:11 PM
Beautiful work as usual Peter :2tsup:

Little Festo
25th October 2010, 09:12 PM
So where abouts is the exhibition being held. Nice work there!!

Cheers

It's on at the Francis Rush Centre, 277 Elizabeth St Brisbane fron the 30th Oct to 2nd November.

Just a few pieces here. I will be showing 12. There are various craft exhibits from 21 different countries.

Yes a very oil stained hand too.

Peter

wheelinround
25th October 2010, 09:13 PM
Hi Peter been a while since I have seen a post from you looking at your work you have been busy.

Surface decoration always brightens a vessel but these are brilliant as asked where is the exhibition on at.:2tsup:

I am interested in the wall thickness achieved mainly the Norfolk pine but all of them.:U
What finish?

Ray

Nai84
25th October 2010, 09:56 PM
Hey little festo

WOW now they are some master pieces that you have done. I would also like to know the thickness of the walls on all of them aswell as the finish. Once again love the work and I cant wait until I can do something like that:2tsup: and good luck at the Hands Of The World" exhibition.

Cheers Nai

artme
26th October 2010, 08:16 AM
Peter hose are gorgeous works of art!! Congratulations!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

I think I am free this weekend so i will definitely be there if that is the case.

Little Festo
26th October 2010, 09:11 AM
The translucents are about 2-3mm. I have a couple where I went too thin and they were very difficult to sand, didn't go through. They were all turned wet then left for a week or two then sanded. I used to wet sand but it was messy and I became impatient with the sandpaper continually clogging.These are all end grain.

I'm using a danish oil mix and as many immersions as necessary to get the translucence, generally 15+. After about 4-5 immersions they need to sanded after each immersion as the surface of the pine needs to be clear of any surface coating of oil as that seals the wood and there is no further penetration of the oil. The oil seems to add a fair bit of strength to the piece, not drop proof though. It always a bit scary when someone picks them up one handed from the top opening. I do leave a bit of weight in the base, not too much though. I then use Kunos Oil as the final finish, three or four coats.

I haven't gone through many at all. I seem to enjoy turning the thin pieces. An hour or so of intense concentration when hollowing isn't too bad. I now do simple shapes, easier to turn. The deeper forms are quite a bit harder, particularly the inside bottom (end grain). Even green pine can "tear out" a bit and end grain can be susceptible to heat checking when sanding. I only use gouges. Problems occur with the gouge being unsupported but with practice and a firm grip it's not too bad.These pieces "glow" with normal room lights because of the thin walls and oiling.

One strange thing I have noticed when people look at these is what they consider their purpose to be. Most/many Australians, my beloved Queenslanders seem to be the worst, want to put something in them??? A salad, fruit, nuts but something needs to be put into the bowl/piece, it MUST be functional. Americans, Europeans and Kiwis:o really appreciate craft and see the decorative value of a piece. Americans in particular appreciate craft, a good thing for us Aussie wood turners. I must point out that most of my work is decorative, even some of my functional pieces are embellished with carving etc.

The fluteds are quite a bit heavier with 15 to 30mm wall thicknesses to allow for the flute depth. These are "white shellacked" then oiled with the same kunos Oil.

Thanks for all of the comments. I have a stall at Eumundi markets every Saturday and I'll shout any Forumite a coffee if you say hello.

Hope this makes some sense.

Peter

Ed Reiss
26th October 2010, 11:54 AM
What the other's said + 1:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Nai84
26th October 2010, 01:17 PM
Aussie Aussie Aussie oi oi oi :2tsup: I find it funny what you said about that coz all the people that I have spoken to about think the same way :?

Nai

wheelinround
26th October 2010, 01:56 PM
Peter a great insight into thin wall turning

I am attempting my first Norfolk Pine a vase shape but due to lathe access being once a week it will have dried out already. It spat off the chuck 2 weeks ago thats why a photo at home where I repaired the tenon. I am looking at putting a false plastic insert into it for water for the flowers easy to remove. Of course it won't be as thin as yours :no:

Any advice would be appreciated.

Also getting a try with a Rolly Munro system :U

Little Festo
26th October 2010, 02:42 PM

I am attempting my first Norfolk Pine a vase shape but due to lathe access being once a week it will have dried out already. It spat off the chuck 2 weeks ago thats why a photo at home where I repaired the tenon. I am looking at putting a false plastic insert into it for water for the flowers easy to remove. Of course it won't be as thin as yours :no:

Looking good. I predict you will have some fun hollowing with the knots but they certainly add to the piece. You will have to post some photos when complete.

Peter

wheelinround
26th October 2010, 02:47 PM
Thanks Peter

the knots I have used CA and epoxy on to stabilise doesn't mean they will stay put though :no:

Nai84
26th October 2010, 04:00 PM

Hey Wheelinround & Little festo

Where can I get my hands on some of that Norfolk Pine about 300mm in diameter and about 200mm in thickness please :2tsup:

Cheers Nai

wheelinround
26th October 2010, 06:02 PM
Hey Wheelinround & Little festo

Where can I get my hands on some of that Norfolk Pine about 300mm in diameter and about 200mm in thickness please :2tsup:

Cheers Nai

Ian I was lucky enough to have a neighbour who was cutting down his across the road I asked the tree lopper could I have some. I ended up with almost all the trunk except the largest dia base as it had just been taken to the tip. I gave a few bits away still have 3 or 4 for myself shame your on the west coast.

What I am saying is find a tree surgeon or someone who does tree lopping and become good mates.:U

Nai84
26th October 2010, 06:09 PM
Hey Wheelinround

:( Well no harm in asking would you know were I migth be albe to get some even if I have to pay for it and postage PPPPPPLLLLLLEEEEEAAAAAASSSSSEEEEEEEE:2tsup:

Nai

wheelinround
26th October 2010, 06:26 PM
Sorry Ian the pieces I have remaining 3 I think are all mine :devil: as the are unusual shapes etc.

dai sensei
26th October 2010, 08:47 PM
...I'm using a danish oil mix and as many immersions as necessary to get the translucence....I then use Kunos Oil as the final finish, three or four coats.

What's the mix you use Peter, I have a few thin walled NIP bowls here waiting to be finished? And why swap to Kunos for the top coat rather than DO?

... I only use gouges. Problems occur with the gouge being unsupported but with practice and a firm grip it's not too bad.These pieces "glow" with normal room lights because of the thin walls and oiling.....

I've given up using the gouge on the inside for the thin walled green stuff, due to unsupported chisel and unfortunate distructive dig-ins during minor lapses of concentration :rolleyes::(. Been having much better results with the Ci0, provided the cutting edge is small. Single point on cutter if possible, too much arc edge causes vibration. I want to try my Vermec small cutter, but currently I only have the goose neck that I consider useless due to catches (perhaps me :-), and waiting to buy the straight version.

Mulgabill
26th October 2010, 09:03 PM
....One strange thing I have noticed when people look at these is what they consider their purpose to be. Most/many Australians, my beloved Queenslanders seem to be the worst, want to put something in them??? A salad, fruit, nuts but something needs to be put into the bowl/piece, it MUST be functional.
Peter
Oh how right you are Peter!
When I have exhibited some of my pieces the functional items more often sell! The "decorative/art" items get admired but do not sell as readily or not at all:no:

TTIT
26th October 2010, 10:40 PM
Beautiful work as always Peter :2tsup: Spittin' chips that I don't get to Brissy 'til the day after the exhibition though :C

Nai84
27th October 2010, 12:48 AM
Sorry Ian the pieces I have remaining 3 I think are all mine :devil: as the are unusual shapes etc.

:bawl: thats ok wheelinround but if you do come across anymore sometime soon can you PPPPPLLLLLEEEEEEEEAAAAAASSSSSEEEEEEEE let me know :hbomb:

Cheers Nai

wheelinround
27th October 2010, 05:47 PM
:bawl: thats ok wheelinround but if you do come across anymore sometime soon can you PPPPPLLLLLEEEEEEEEAAAAAASSSSSEEEEEEEE let me know :hbomb:

Cheers Nai

Ok:U

artme
27th October 2010, 05:56 PM
Peter, I cannot make it to the show!:no::no::no: Bummer.

I have to travel to Grafton to see my grandchildren. That is no bad thing but I hate missing a good exhibtion.

thumb trimmer
27th October 2010, 07:00 PM
these bowls are amazing ... :)( ... WOW ... great work Peter :2tsup: