PDA

View Full Version : Red cedar logs

Halfdays
28th October 2010, 08:01 AM
I recently had to remove 2 small red cedars. At present they are still intact on the ground. They are about 40 cm at base and 20 cm at end of gnarly 5 m log. It is too small for me to mill and I have been cautioned that it might be too young for turning.
I was wondering if anyone has an idea if
-timber of this size is useful
-what lengths to cut the log
-what is the minimum size of branch that might be of use in woodturning or similar
-should I spray some borax on the log
All suggestions welcome
I dont turn at this stage but will keep some pieces for retirement. If any locals want a couple of bits to try send me a message. The timber is at Montville Qld.
<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

NeilS
28th October 2010, 10:12 AM
Definitely useful for turning!

Don't spray with borax.

Paint ends of logs with whatever paint you have to hand ASAP.

Will need to be cut in a particular way, but don't cut until you get more advice on that.

AND, contact your local Blackall Range Woodcrafters club at Montville. Nice buch of people. I'm sure you can come to a satisfactory arrangement with them on the cedar. If you can't find a phone number for them I can probably find one for you.

Edit: here we are. The two people you need to talk to are the Timber Sourcing Officers, Phil Gibson and Doug Skinner. I don't have phone numbers for them, but one of the following would be able to put you in contact with them.

President
Peter Simpson
5442 9408

Secretary
David Edmond
5478 6932

Assistant Secretary
George Blowers
5441 1597

Treasurer
Keith Muirhead
5445 9037

And here is their website (http://www.woodworkforums.com/www.blackallrangewoodies.org.au)

TTIT
28th October 2010, 10:31 PM
......Don't spray with borax.........Quick hijack here. Curious about this Neil. I spray everything I bring home (as long as I remember to :C ). Why would you not want it sprayed????