PDA

View Full Version : hsc major queries

the_iceman_88
28th October 2010, 10:09 PM
I plan to design and make a turned and carved wooden chess set including a small coffee table with an inset chess board the coffee table would have an older cabriole leg styled with a felt lined draw for storage of chess and checkers pieces in the side. <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:ApplyBreakingRules/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:UseFELayout/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> The chess pieces witch would all be turned bar the knight and some other little details witch would have to be carved into the turned timber.

question is weather or not i would be able to complete in 3.5 terms of school and what is a cheap and readily dark red wood that could be used for the table i was thinking mahogany?

Nai84
28th October 2010, 10:24 PM
Hey Iceman 88

Welcome to the forum, So how big is this table gonna be and what size are you thinking bout doing the chess pieces, sounds like its gonna be a awsome table , Mahogany would be nice but Im not sure what the price would be like you might have to dig around a bit mabye try a salvage yard :2tsup:

Nai

the_iceman_88
28th October 2010, 10:32 PM
umm i was thinking about 900*900 and the largest piece to be about 70-80 high would there be a another suitable timber thats more readily available?

the_iceman_88
28th October 2010, 10:35 PM
p.s i was thinking a stained Oregon pine but i dot think i could get the shine i want off it

Nai84
28th October 2010, 10:52 PM
Hey Iceman

900 x 900 sound like a good size and the size of the piece also sound good you can still get a good finish you can use wax hut 107 and 108 for a full gloss finish what bout the table how are you gonna finish that, Pine would be cheaper way :2tsup:

Nai

Buzz
28th October 2010, 11:00 PM
Jarrah would likely be as cheap a dark hardwood that you'll find in Australia. The early settlers called it 'Swan River Mahogany' so it should fit with your preferred colour. Just about every timber merchant would have it in stock.

Being over east, perhaps River Red Gum which is a similar colour may be more economical.

the_iceman_88
28th October 2010, 11:04 PM
i wanted that deep red look like you get from mahogany i just need to get it started and soon cause im using silver birch for the white timber as we had a dead one at home and i turned a bowl out of it and it came up really well just with a friction wax. so i was aiming to use it and something with that deep red look so i dont really now what finnish till i've chosen timber...

like the attachment but without the carving on the legs...

the_iceman_88
28th October 2010, 11:07 PM
sounds good buzz ill look into it thank you...

Jim Carroll
29th October 2010, 12:17 PM
Talk to the guys at Trend Timbers.

I know they supply a lot of timber for school projects so may be able to advise what to get and if you have a cutting list they can supply for you.

Rhys_holland
29th October 2010, 03:59 PM
The Knight could be turned off center like this A Chess SetKight Layout (http://www.shopsmithhandson.com/archives/nov_dec00/html/knight.htm)